What's new

Parker SR1 and Personna blade

I've been using a Parker SR1 for a few weeks and seemed to be progressing nicely - not extremely close shaves, but decent - no cuts, nicks, etc... I used up the 5 Shark blades that came with it, so snapped one of the Personna blades that came in a sample pack and loaded it up. I've never been cut so badly in my life - and multiple times. I didn't realize how bad it was because I couldn't feel the cuts! My son saw me later and asked if I had lost a fight with a weedeater...

Are Personna blades that much sharper than Sharks? Did I get a bad blade? Just an extremely bad day? Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Alan.

I'm not sure what happened. Turned out I did have one more Shark blade that I had overlooked. I put that in the SR1 this morning and all is good. Sure did get some funny looks for a couple of days, though!

I find my shavette to be very vocal on which blade is installed and each has its own feel that you need to adapt to.
Picking on Feathers: i can feel that they're a thinner blade than Astras.

I would think, though, it could as easily be the opposite as it could be as you suspect. You may be adding some pressure if the Personna blades are not as keen as the Sharks which would cause them to bite you.

Take a step back with the Personna blades and make sure that you're using a VERY light touch (the key to shavette success IMHO)

I find my shavette to be very vocal on which blade is installed and each has its own feel that you need to adapt to.
Picking on Feathers: i can feel that they're a thinner blade than Astras.

I would think, though, it could as easily be the opposite as it could be as you suspect. You may be adding some pressure if the Personna blades are not as keen as the Sharks which would cause them to bite you.

Take a step back with the Personna blades and make sure that you're using a VERY light touch (the key to shavette success IMHO)

Very true statement. Thanks!

Get a blade sampler and try them all. Keep a record of how each shaves, and find your own personal best. Someone else who says one blade is better that another is not the way to judge how a blade is going to work for you. Everyone is different and you'll have to find your won best.

Here's an update - I've been using the Parker SR1 again and have been getting great shaves - using Derby "pre-snapped" blades. This morning I put in the other half of the Personna blade that gave me a hard time at the beginning of this thread and my conclusion is....

....operator error. It was a great shave today. I either had a bad day before or my technique has greatly improved.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here's an update - I've been using the Parker SR1 again and have been getting great shaves - using Derby "pre-snapped" blades. This morning I put in the other half of the Personna blade that gave me a hard time at the beginning of this thread and my conclusion is....

....operator error. It was a great shave today. I either had a bad day before or my technique has greatly improved.

Cause for celebration! Well done!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use the shavette occasionally, and lately I have been using Feather blades. I run the edge once through a wine cork and it mellows out nicely. But otherwise, tthe first shave with some blades in a shavette can be a bloodbath. by the second or third shave, all is good.

I think people focus too much on sharp blades. I have found it is better to look for a SMOOTH blade. Doesn't matter how sharp it is. If you get good shaves with a Derby use a Derby if you get good shaves with a Feather use a Feather. It seems a lot of people want to use the sharpest blade. More of a bragging right or that Alpha male thing. Not making fun of anyone just the nature of things. If you do a Google search for, "choosing the right blade" you will find a link with a sharpness guide. What I did was look at that then read blade reviews to see what people were comparing blades to. I didn't try every blade but tried some sharp ones some not so sharp ones and some middle grounds. I have a lot of luck with Gillette blades. Also, there seems to be a difference for me with Platinum Vs Stainless. Just some food for thought. But hey blades are cheap enough to try. People suggest trying more then one blade of said brand. So for example if you are trying a Feather try at least 2. Might be a bad blade. But if you are getting good shaves with Derby they are cheaper then Feather. So what ever works for you. Happy shaving hope the info helps.

Well, haven't posted for some time... Life got in the way kinda.... Anyhow, had similar experience with the Sanguine (good name - maybe not for a razor) shavette. Changed over to some "Lord" single edge blades. Initially not too happy, very VERY unforgiving... However, the 2nd and 3rd shave with the same blade? A very easy shave indeed. Only tried the "softening" of blades when using Feathers and even then only on the tips. Got a similar experience with Shark blades, so it does seem to be ( for me at least ) that it is a common factor with SE or snapped DE blades in shavettes

have to weigh in here because I had the same problem with the exact same Parker SR1 with 5 Shark blades deal two or so years ago when I started wanting to SR shave. Shaved through the first Shark blade with few problems, then broke an Astra in half and put it in there and got similar bloody results to yours. I tried everything, alternating with sharks to make sure it wasn't my technique or something, even half of a Merkur blade, which I consider to be pretty dull, smooth and dependable for a baseline in DEs. I finally concluded that there's something about the shape of the corners of those Sharks that prevents lacerations. I picked up a 100-pack of the Shark shavette blades and am happy with it whenever I use my Parker now. I second that the Parker Shavette really is a cool little razor!

Top Bottom