What's new

AR 15 couple questions

I have been thinking about getting an entry/mid level AR. From my reading Palmetto State seems like a good deal, either pre assembled or kit versions. However, ran across a Windham SRC metal version on clearance at Wally marked down from 849 to 649. Seems like a very competitive price. I don't shoot very often, more for plinking at a club range, and an insurance policy against over-regulation of this style of gun. Opinions? TIA

Last edited:
I have no familiarity with that brand which always makes me nervous. Spend some google time. Things to look for are forged upper and lower. Guaranteed proper pin placement. Minimum of mil-spec level parts. Mil-spec is a minimum for these guns because Uncle Sam expects to use up parts throw them away and replace. What kind of aluminum are the upper and lower made from. All aluminums are not alike for strength. Buying an off brand can be done well, but I would put some serious time into checking into the company.

Thanks for the reply. From my reading this is the old Bushmaster team that reopened a plant, after the no compete expired. Most reviews are quite favorable. However, I am a newbie related to .223.

I am also not familiar with Palmetto. Your last quip about being new to .223 had me piqued. My recommendation would be to look for a gun rated for 5.56. That way you can use both. Also look for something with a slower twist rate. 1 in 11 or 10 rather than 1 in 7. that way you can use the lighter bullets and the less expensive milsurp rounds. At last check (a week ago), the 69 to 79 grain rounds are still up over a dollar each while the XM193 55 grains are coming back to the 2012 price.

Yes to the above: any 5.56 rifle will shoot both 5.56 and .223, but not the other way around. Get 5.56 and you're good to go.

I'd plug Windham Weaponry if I'd ever fired one, since they're right down the road apiece, but I don't have personal experience. My own personal feeling is I'm not real interested in the model with the polymer lower, but I see you're looking at the steel one. They are indeed the Bushmaster folks, making rifles (as they say) the way they wished Bushmaster had. Great reputation. (Also, if it matters to you, they are very active in donating guns and other stuff to pro-2A and wildlife/sportsman causes here in Maine.)

If you're on a budget, as I was, it's hard to do better than the S&W M&P15 sport. Rifle just runs and runs. About 500 rounds through mine with nary a failure with factory ammo. Far more accurate than I am. Throw a red dot sight on there and have at it!

Last edited:
Take a close look at the Ruger AR556, I got mine early this year and have been nothing but pleased with it. So far close to 1,000 rounds through it with not a single FTF or FTE, with various brands including reloads. Made in the USA is a bonus and they have a dust cover and forward assist which not many do in its price range. They can be had for right at the $600 mark if you do a little shopping. I think I paid $617 including the FFL transfer.

Take a close look at the Ruger AR556, I got mine early this year and have been nothing but pleased with it. So far close to 1,000 rounds through it with not a single FTF or FTE, with various brands including reloads. Made in the USA is a bonus and they have a dust cover and forward assist which not many do in its price range. They can be had for right at the $600 mark if you do a little shopping. I think I paid $617 including the FFL transfer.

Good to know! My M&P15 Sport was just a few dollars over that. Best thing is that both companies have highly regarded customer service.

The Windham is a fine rifle.Chrome lined barrel if I'm not mistaken.Build quality and specs near Colt and Sig IMHO, and they donate to the wounded warrior project to boot.At $649 thats a pretty good deal.M&P Sport is another great bang for your buck rifle.

As noted, Windham is the former Bushmaster team. I would by the Walmart gun with aluminum receiver over polymer. Enjoy.

Windham Weaponry are the pretty much the same folks that built Bushmaster, very solid shooter and very well made, PSA is another bargain but from what I have heard it's hit or miss on finish quality but lately I have heard good things, you could get a blemished lower from PSA along with a lower parts kit and do it your self and save a few bucks, really no special tools required other than a punch and small hammer

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Windham is a fine rifle.

As noted, Windham is the former Bushmaster team. I would by the Walmart gun with aluminum receiver over polymer. Enjoy.

Windham Weaponry are the pretty much the same folks that built Bushmaster, very solid shooter and very well made, PSA is another bargain but from what I have heard it's hit or miss on finish quality but lately I have heard good things, you could get a blemished lower from PSA along with a lower parts kit and do it your self and save a few bucks, really no special tools required other than a punch and small hammer

I am with these other on Windham. The old Bushmasters were great. Those guys are now making Windham. Windham is great. The new Bushmaster? Not so much in my opinion.

Sounds like Walmart has a Windham at a great price, you should be jumping all over that.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I need to figure out how to sneak it into the house once purchased.:thumbup1:

Glad to hear from those who know that the local boys at Windham Weaponry are doing good!

Thanks for the help guys. Now I need to figure out how to sneak it into the house once purchased.:thumbup1:

Here you go. All you have to do is convince the missus you've taken up the violin. :lol:

$violin rifle case.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not much of a fan on buying a complete AR so I would say build it yourself for what you want to use it for. There are many reasons to own one and building it specifically for those needs can make it that much more effective for you.

You may or may not save money by building, but you'll gain intimate knowledge of the firearms workings which will help you diagnose and fix problems later on your own as well as replacing things that you find aren't working well for you.

I agree, pick a chambering that will allow for 5.56 and .223. Some of these will include:
Noveske Match Mod 0 5.56
.223 Wylde
and basic 5.56 chambering

There's a pretty good article on the topic that is a long but good read. Explains a lot of about standardization, pressures and such that are good to know.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Last edited:
If you are looking for a quality AR at a fair price, go to your local Walmart and buy a Colt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom