What's new

Yet another Dutch oven thread

They can take a little getting used to, but a first time meal should turn out just fine.

For temp. control (I use charcoal briquettes as it's easier to control temps. than using wood coals) here's a guide...it even has a handy dandy briquette calculator.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml

I started using DOs about 20 years BC (before computers), but there are tons of how-to things online now, along with videos.
Awesome... cheers mate!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Actually I have no idea...I've never used one!

Being from New Zealand we love our roast dinners so I'm used to cooking in a standard oven.

I'll check out the stores here and see what I can rustle up!

Cheers
Mark

Life without a Kiwi style roast dinner does not sound nice to me. Hope you can find a Dutch Oven.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Mate you're so right... There are a couple of English style pubs here that do a pretty decent roast so all is not lost!

Go the All Black's!

Good to hear you can get a roast at the pub. Oh and Thai food is not bad either :lol:
I think I have a old cast iron pot that was made in Thailand.

Will you get coverage for the Rugby World Cup? Only a month till it starts. The games will be on early morning here, I think it's about 5:00am kick off NZ time.

Good to hear you can get a roast at the pub. Oh and Thai food is not bad either [emoji38]
I think I have a old cast iron pot that was made in Thailand.

Will you get coverage for the Rugby World Cup? Only a month till it starts. The games will be on early morning here, I think it's about 5:00am kick off NZ time.
Yes we have setanta channel which shows all the games... otherwise I would need to relocate.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No worry about any derail...have fun talkin' to your fellow countryman!

You and Chris got me a bit interested in NZ, and Oz, cooking tonight so I have been looking up some DO stuff.

If I put coals on the bare ground here right now, like he does, it would set my yard on fire. :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_CGmkEq9o

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey benzology, nice to have you down in the Mess Hall. Don't get too buddy buddy with my friend Chris without telling us at least your first name. Put it in your signature. Good luck on finding a nice set of DO's in your area.

...now back to the regular scheduled DO program.

Dutch Oven ice cream is sounding better and better.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yes we have setanta channel which shows all the games... otherwise I would need to relocate.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

Good stuff, it should be a action packed 6 weeks of Rugby.

No worry about any derail...have fun talkin' to your fellow countryman!

You and Chris got me a bit interested in NZ, and Oz, cooking tonight so I have been looking up some DO stuff.

If I put coals on the bare ground here right now, like he does, it would set my yard on fire. :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_CGmkEq9o

The lamb look like it turned out nice in that video. A roast beef would be nice in there if lamb is not your thing.
If a few coals would light up your yard them I guess a hungi at your place is out.

$Lamb.jpg
ftfy

Been known to roast a leg of lamb myself...

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
^^^That leg of lamb looks great.

If a few coals would light up your yard them I guess a hungi at your place is out.

I've accidentally dropped a cigarette on the ground when it's been this dry before...little flames popped up before I could pick the cigarette up.

Here ya go. I told you that you can make anything in a Dutch oven.

http://olddominionironchefs.com/dutch-oven-ice-cream/

Last edited:
Hey benzology, nice to have you down in the Mess Hall. Don't get too buddy buddy with my friend Chris without telling us at least your first name. Put it in your signature. Good luck on finding a nice set of DO's in your area.

...now back to the regular scheduled DO program.

Sorry DSG I missed this...

I'm Mark!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good to have you in the Mess Hall Mark!

If you can't find a cast iron dutch oven over there...surely there is an alternative available. Guess you could order one and pay the shipping fees. :scared:

Or just go native and eat like the locals.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
DSG I will look into that if required...

Thanks for the guidance... how many hours to braise a decent slab of red meat?

It it depends on the cut and type of meat. A Guinness beef chuck stew is about 2.5 to 3 hours for tenderness. Carne Guisada is less. Beef short ribs can run 3+ depending on the size.

...now I'm hungry.

Me too... interestingly the lamb roast I posted above was low and slow for 5 hours.

With 30 min up front to crisp/seal it.

You could carve it with a fork! Although I know lots of folks from the 'rare lamb camp'would say that ruins it.

Personally I like it both ways...

Last edited:
Top Bottom