What's new

What are some aftershaves that were popular in the late 50s to early 60s?

I have a Gillette Fatboy so I want some shaving supplies to match the razor, I may just use the supplies for decoration or use them for shaving, I am not sure yet.

I think aqua velva and old spice are the classics. The Pinaud products were around, but I think of them as more of a barbershop brand. If you want to go in that direction, the most popular were probably clubman and lilac vegetal. Bay rum is another that I associate more with barbers than bathrooms, but the classic brands seem to be Pinaud, Masters, and Stephans.

When I was in college in the late 60's.I distinctly remember two quite strong,very sweet smelling fragrances guys used a lot. Canoe and British Sterling. But I think they were colognes,not aftershaves.They were way too much for me.Both gave me headaches! Does anyone out there remember these two,or do I have the names wrong?

Craig

My father used Aqua Velva and Old Spice in the 60s when I was a kid, and I know they were around long before that. They were the drugstore/bathroom standards of that era. I remember English Leather from then as well. Every barbershop used Clubman and Bay Rum. There were some others I'm sure, but nothing close to the plethora of choices we enjoy today.

I'm pretty sure my father was buying St. John's Bay Rum during that era. Somewhat later it was Old Spice because my mother liked it.

I have a couple of bottles of Yardley from that time period. I'm not sure if they were ever popular here, but the bottles do look cool.

My father used Aqua Velva and Old Spice in the 60s when I was a kid, and I know they were around long before that. They were the drugstore/bathroom standards of that era. I remember English Leather from then as well. Every barbershop used Clubman and Bay Rum. There were some others I'm sure, but nothing close to the plethora of choices we enjoy today.

Yeah but they were made very different back then, now everything is made from raw chemicals.

I think aqua velva and old spice are the classics. The Pinaud products were around, but I think of them as more of a barbershop brand. If you want to go in that direction, the most popular were probably clubman and lilac vegetal. Bay rum is another that I associate more with barbers than bathrooms, but the classic brands seem to be Pinaud, Masters, and Stephans.

+1. As someone who was around then I would add English Leather to the list of "home AS." Definitely after OS and Aqua Velva.

The barbershop in my hometown used Pinaud Clubman AS, talc, etc. To me, Clubman is the essence of barbershop! :thumbup:

Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Mennen Skin Bracer, Brut by Faberge & Shulton Old Spice were hugely popular in the 60s & 70s. My father used all but Old Spice (he never cared for the scent).

Top Bottom