What's new

Fatip trumps all!

Just received my new fatip, and it's by far the most efficient and comfortable shave, it's as efficient as the R41 but as smoothe as a 39c.

I'm getting really tempted to get one, but I keep having people warn me away from open comb razors. I think that is the direction I'd like to go; I think I want something more aggressive. I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Open comb razors are mistakenly equated with aggressive razors. The Fatip is certainly an aggressive razor but the Parker 24c or 26c are not considered to be aggressive. The R41 is well known for its aggressiveness but it is not a true open comb. It's more of a hybrid.

I have a Fatip Piccolo that, once the learning curve is achieved, provides very smooth shaves. Aggressive razors are nothing to be feared, but they do require respect. I have a very soft but full beard and sensitive skin. Not exactly what most people would consider a candidate for an aggressive razor. If you learn how to use one properly, anyone can benefit from an aggressive razor.

I still very much like the r41 and will always have it in my rotation, but The fatip will definitely be what I will use most. I have a very thick stubborn beard, and aggressive razors seem to be the only thing that does it for me.

I use open combs 90% of the time. I'm currently struggling with my favorite straight bar, an Ikon Shavecraft Tech, because it sweeps all the lather off my face. When I try to buff zones I've already shaved, my face is too dry. It's a tremendously aggressive razor, but I can't use it like an open comb, which leaves plenty of lather behind after a standard pass. Including my FaTip piccolo.

Open comb razors are mistakenly equated with aggressive razors. [snip] Aggressive razors are nothing to be feared, but they do require respect. I have a very soft but full beard and sensitive skin. Not exactly what most people would consider a candidate for an aggressive razor. If you learn how to use one properly, anyone can benefit from an aggressive razor.

+1 My most sharp but "softest" razors are my OC SC and LC Gillette news much more so than other razors e.g. Gillette SS, SS adjustable and the like. "Aggressive" as relates to OC razors is I think an often used but often misunderstood term.

I use open combs 90% of the time. I'm currently struggling with my favorite straight bar, an Ikon Shavecraft Tech, because it sweeps all the lather off my face. When I try to buff zones I've already shaved, my face is too dry. It's a tremendously aggressive razor, but I can't use it like an open comb, which leaves plenty of lather behind after a standard pass. Including my FaTip piccolo.

Same reason why I don't use any SB's--except I have a slant (39c) which works well also but I only use it once in a while

I'm getting really tempted to get one, but I keep having people warn me away from open comb razors. I think that is the direction I'd like to go; I think I want something more aggressive. I'm glad to hear that you like it.
If you start with a vintage gillette new or a modern parker 26c heads, you'll repent why you didn't jump earlier. The fatip is a more aggressive razor and you may end up opiniated either ways on how you find the aggressive shave.

If you start with a vintage gillette new or a modern parker 26c heads, you'll repent why you didn't jump earlier. The fatip is a more aggressive razor and you may end up opiniated either ways on how you find the aggressive shave.

I have a Merkur 180. So, are you suggesting I not hesitate to pull the trigger?

I love my 'Grande' - gives me a superbly close shave with far less instances of irritation than any other razor I own. Beats my R41 hands down for a close comfortable shave (well...so far at least) and streets ahead of my collection of Gillette adjustables. I just wish they'd work on their finishing. Mine has little sharp 'dags' of metal everywhere an the plating is pretty ordinary.

After the very first use, I concluded the Fatip Grande was not so much aggressive as a well mannered and efficient Razor. Gentle use yields amazing results. You can feel the blade but it never feels uncomfortable when used correctly. I keep thinking 'wow' !! the whole shave.

If it wasn't that eventually I want to master the use of every single razor in my inventory , I would probably use the Fatip and the Merkur 34C HD almost exclusively.

Last edited:
I have a Merkur 180. So, are you suggesting I not hesitate to pull the trigger?
Yes - by all means. A vintage gillette new or a parker 26c are very efficient and non aggressive Razors. . Even the merkur open comb and the maggards open comb are mild Razors to explore the open comb world.

I bought one a while back and I really like it. Love open comb razors. Have 12 razors and my favorite is the Merkur slant.

It's a very, very good shaver - not at all as bloodthirsty as it is sometimes made out to be - and at current prices it's a steal.

Top Bottom