What's new

September 2015 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month's End (GRUME-September)

Are your various shaving ADs out of control? Are you spending more on shaving supplies than groceries? Are you using more bathroom shelf and counter space than your mate? Do you even know how many soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes and razors you own?

It is time. Football season is starting, so you'll have plenty of September distractions. Spend the money you would otherwise spend on shaving on India Pale Ales at your local sports bar, watching your favorite college and pro football teams (cough... Longhorns, Seahawks ...cough). Or nights out with your lovely mate. Anything but shaving gear!

This restraint is for September 1-30, 2015.

All are welcome!

Rules:

1. No personal shaving purchases.* Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle. However, members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling / testing of those gift items permitted.
  2. Members must have the necessary supplies to last the length of the restraint.
  3. GIFT cards cannot be redeemed for shaving items (even if the cards are from previous months).
  4. Any shaving services, like replating or restorations, that are paid for in the month of the restraint will cause you to fail the restraint.

*Exceptions:

1. Members that have committed themselves and successfully completed the August restraint will be allowed to restock/treewhale on September 1st ONLY. Rid your system of any AD's in preparation for another month.
  2. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game).
  3. Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore related is HIGHLY encouraged.

This monthly restraint is perfect for those (like me) who failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical that want to curb their ADs. We will welcome those who fail every month and want to give it another shot, even those that fail on the second day of the restraint (as I did on August 2).

Remember everyone, it is normally harder than it sounds, so keep fighting the urge!

Leaders will check in for roll call at some points of the restraint. Blade4vor has graciously volunteered to help, and I will always defer to
kevdogg329. Anyone else that wants to assist with this effort is welcome.

Mods:

We humbly request you leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until September 2nd so we can get as many as possible to see the restraint. Afterwards, you can move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs.

Tips
Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint -- for example, MoRo-September, #1. To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) pbrmhl
2)
3)

Logistics
Please update the list if you join or leave. Always look to the most recent non-reply version of the list to add/or delete yourself as a member.

Good luck, all!

I am in. Doing good in this months restraint. Nothing tempting in sight, and I have no pending shortages.

1) pbrmhl
2)Pepin

Count me in. I need to pay off some debt anyway!

1) pbrmhl
2) Pepin
3) Mostho
4) Blade4vor
5) MidnightMatador
6) jfavre08
7) svalcourt

Me too. I'm in the quarterly but will try to go until the end of September instead.

1) pbrmhl
2) Pepin
3) Mostho
4) Blade4vor
5) MidnightMatador
6) jfavre08
7) svalcourt
8) Gig103

1) pbrmhl
2) Pepin
3) Mostho
4) Blade4vor
5) MidnightMatador
6) jfavre08
7) svalcourt
8) Gig103
9) InNae
10) JGUN

This is physically painful but count me in. I need a break! Or my wallet does

Last edited:
1) pbrmhl
2) Pepin
3) Mostho
4) Blade4vor
5) MidnightMatador
6) jfavre08
7) svalcourt
8) Gig103
9) InNae
10) JGUN
11) FoolishMortal

After going a bit nuts in prep for my passaround box, it's time to chill.

I had planned a specific PIF for one of the successful September restraint participants, but the Sue Auction has caused a change of plan. Instead of including an unused aftershave (4711) and shaving soap (Petal Pusher Fancies) in the PIF, I'll plan instead to donate those items to the Sue Auction. I have some almost new items that I'll include in the PIF.

The first item to be included in the PIF, as well as the PIF rules, will be announced in the next couple of days.

I had planned a specific PIF for one of the successful September restraint participants, but the Sue Auction has caused a change of plan. Instead of including an unused aftershave (4711) and shaving soap (Petal Pusher Fancies) in the PIF, I'll plan instead to donate those items to the Sue Auction. I have some almost new items that I'll include in the PIF.

The first item to be included in the PIF, as well as the PIF rules, will be announced in the next couple of days.

Um...I'm in?

I'm in. Gotta nip some ADs in the bud.

icon1.png

1) pbrmhl
2) Pepin
3) Mostho
4) Blade4vor
5) MidnightMatador
6) jfavre08
7) svalcourt
8) Gig103
9) InNae
10) JGUN
11) FoolishMortal
12) bobmsp​

Question from a restraint noob: is the purchase of an item that will be placed in a passaround box (for others' future use) a violation of the rules? I'm participating in a passaround and will hopefully have finished my purchases by September but I just wanted to double-check so that I don't accidentally fail.

Thanks.

Question from a restraint noob: is the purchase of an item that will be placed in a passaround box (for others' future use) a violation of the rules? I'm participating in a passaround and will hopefully have finished my purchases by September but I just wanted to double-check so that I don't accidentally fail.

Thanks.

From my perspective, it's out of bounds because you're essentially buying to make a trade. If you trade something you already have, you're safe. Sooo...plan ahead and buy the item now. :laugh:

After some mild indulgence in August, I'll go back into restraint.

1) pbrmhl
2) Pepin
3) Mostho
4) Blade4vor
5) MidnightMatador
6) jfavre08
7) svalcourt
8) Gig103
9) InNae
10) JGUN
11) FoolishMortal
12) bobmsp
13) Rory1262

So... My PIF, which will go to a random soul who happens to complete the September restraint successfully, will consist of a small number of items. I had planned to include some new software, but the Sue Auction only takes new software items, so I'm reserving the new items for the auction. For the PIF, I'm including some classic, well-loved items that I simply couldn't relate to, even after two or three tries. I plan to name the items over time during the next ten days or so, so I can shamelessly bump this thread to the top from time to time.

The first item has been used twice, and looks like this (except there's no box): http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Proraso-Aftershave-Splash-Menthol-and-Eucalyptus-100ml_p_1541.html

I would have included a photo, but I don't want to violate copyright laws, and I want to give a shout out to the good folks at West Coast Shaving, the primary purveyor of my collection.

I forgot to mention that in order to participate, you must agree to submit at least one item to the Sue Auction. Feel free to use one or more of the items in my PIF (except the used software, of course). Also, the PIF is CONUS only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom