What's new

How to sign your name

Being military, we all sign with our Rank/Rate afterwards to help steer towards who it was that signed it in case something is wrong. So with my scribble of a signature, it looks like....Tsquiggle Ssquiggle ET2(SW)

here is one of my early signatures.

$hand print.jpg

I wouldn't have patience to add something to the end as I can't remember the last time I signed anything using my full first name. My signature for many years has been only the initial of the first name, no reference to a middle name with the last few letters of the last name just a line.

My signature evolved over the years to resemble my fathers signature in almost every way bar the initial of our first names. Lots of loops and scrolling swirls.

Years ago, businesses in this area accepted "counter checks." You'd go into a store where they didn't know you from Adam. You'd gather what you wanted to purchase. On the counter there were three books of blank checks---one for each of the three banks in the county.

I would fill in a blank check and sign it with my signature (which has no more than two identifiable letters...)

At the end of the month, the check would show up among the cancelled checks with my bank statement. I could never figure out how they (or the bank) were able to do that. Other than my completely illegible signature, there was no name imprint or account number on these blank checks.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
For all anyone knows, I include all sorts of credentials in my doodle of a signature.

You can put just about anything you like after your name, but you can't commit fraud without consequences.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've seen people simply draw a line, or put a dot. I don't think it matters. But I did hear once that if you don't sign your name then you can make the claim that you never bought it and have the charge reversed....Never tried that though.

And I wouldn't. Making such a claim would be criminal (theft, credit fraud, and who knows what else). A little security cam footage could make your day take a bad turn.

I imagine you were joking, but who knows about the rest of this lot!

Do you sign the back of your credit cards? I don't. I either leave it blank, draw XXXXXs through the space, or print in "ASK FOR ID."

I can always produce documentation that proves that I'm the legitimate cardholder ... but if my card is stolen or lost, I don't want to provide a potential thief with a copy of my signature.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Do you sign the back of your credit cards? I don't. I either leave it blank, draw XXXXXs through the space, or print in "ASK FOR ID."

I can always produce documentation that proves that I'm the legitimate cardholder ... but if my card is stolen or lost, I don't want to provide a potential thief with a copy of my signature.

None of mine are signed, never have been. I don't ever recall being asked for ID either.

When forging someone else's signature, is it proper form to include all the after letters, or is that just too much?

I am amazed some of you still use checks!

I have a friend who still writes checks for everything ... groceries, gasoline, doctor visits, etc. He gets odd looks whenever he presents his checkbook, and wastes a lot of his own time and that of the clerks who have to process it.

I have told him many times about the advantages of a debit card, but he refuses to believe that there are no additional charges or other risks associated with having one.

He just doesn't like change, and is stuck in an earlier age. He refuses to upgrade or modernize even when the advantages of doing so are obvious. He does everything exactly the same way his parents did, because he is firmly convinced that is the best and only way.

Although many of us here at B&B enjoy retro and vintage gear for reasons of nostalgia or whatever, its not like that with my friend ... he just cannot accept any modification to his deeply ingrained patterns, and the thought of changing his ways throws him into an emotional frenzy of doubt and worry.

BTW, when it comes to shaving, he uses the cheapest disposable twin-blades and lathers up by hand with deodorant bath soap like Irish Spring ... because that's how his father shaved. I've told him about the advantages of using a brush and real shaving cream, but he insists that "Soap is Soap, it don't matter." Well, yes, it matters, and the deep, ruddy lines on his face and the leather-like condition of his cheeks and neck prove it.

And he tells me that somewhere in the house there is a cased FatBoy that his father had gotten as a gift but never used. He has promised to give it to me, if he ever finds it.

I hate those electronic pads used to sign for credit card purchases. So, I tend to have fun and wright various nonsense such as "I didn't buy this". No one ever notices.

My favourite when forced to sign something which doesn't merit my actual signature is "Void McVoid".

Top Bottom