What's new

How to sign your name

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Since the priests sign their name with something on the end, others should be allowed to do this also.

Franciscans sign their name with OFM. That's Order of Friars Minor.

Benedictines sign their name with OSB. That's Order of St. Benedict.

Jesuits sign their name with SJ. That's Society of Jesus.

Other Christians can sign their name with mbC or MBC. This means Mystical Body of Christ.

Since priests can sign their name with an ending, others may add an ending also.

Or another ending may be used. I like MBC.

Nobody but me has ever noticed this, but many times, when I sign my name, I spell it wrong.

I have to sign for dozens of things at work, and I've developed a fast, barely legible scrawl that sometimes drops a letter or two, or makes a "P" look like an "R" ... My last name has two "L" in it and I sometimes drop one. I also tend to leave out a vowel or two, never the same one twice in a row.

If I ever get to compete on Jeopardy this is the anecdote I will tell Alex Trebek during the interview portion of the episode. And the next day, when I return as a Champion, I will inform him that I collect razors and brushes and other shaving gear for a hobby. After that, I will have run out of interesting things to say about myself.

I've never given any thought to letters following my name ... I'm not a Jr. or a Sr. and I don't even like to have Mr. preceding it.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My signature is illegible, adding letters to the end would mean nothing to me, nor anyone else. :lol:

I hate those electronic pads used to sign for credit card purchases. So, I tend to have fun and wright various nonsense such as "I didn't buy this". No one ever notices.

My signature is beautiful, flowing, scribble. Legible letters would only distract from the mystery presented.

My signature are two capital letters followed by wavy lines. It's more a stylized "mark" than a legible signature.

Funny about letters following your name -- when I worked in Education, I noticed that nearly everyone -- from the Superintendent down to the newest cub teacher -- put as many credentials as possible after their name. Whether written or in email it made no difference.

This is me:
Jim C. BS MIS, MEd, MCSE, NHMC, SL4.

(heh, all of those are valid, the last two are silly for a signature though....)

MD - Mayberry Deputy.

In one Andy Griffith Show episode, Andy and Barney went to Raleigh for some type of overnight conference. When Barney signed the hotel register, the clerk read his signature and said, "Thanks for staying with us, Dr. Fife." Barney had signed his name and added MD afterwards. When Andy asked him why, he explained that MD was an abbreviation for Mayberry Deputy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I hate those electronic pads used to sign for credit card purchases. So, I tend to have fun and wright various nonsense such as "I didn't buy this". No one ever notices.
I've seen people simply draw a line, or put a dot. I don't think it matters. But I did hear once that if you don't sign your name then you can make the claim that you never bought it and have the charge reversed....Never tried that though.

My signature are two capital letters followed by wavy lines. It's more a stylized "mark" than a legible signature.

I would call this my signature style as well. My initials are J's. I always disliked the capital J, the way I wrote it looked childish. and then I would spell out the rest of my name which is short, just 5 letters both names: Jason Jones

An ex GF when I was 22 told me my signature was crap, looked like a little kid wrote it. So I changed it.

I adopted the lower case J to use in place of the capital J and I don't put the dot. Then I do a few wavy lines. It's not legible but it looks the same every time I sign it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
How do I sign my name
proxy.php

Badly, and after too many years of signing documents...my hand writing has been compared as nothing less than 'chicken
proxy.php
'... (a quick flourish perhaps, but a FP helps and my writing is slowly improving)! :001_rolle

proxy.php
"Longhand is also a symbol of personality". CBJ

Last edited:
Since I write with my pen in between my index and middle finger my signature is pretty unique I think. It's also pretty illegible. Many people say I sign like a baseball player, fast and messy.

Top Bottom