What's new

NOS blades and soap

$20150813_175936.jpg

Following an eBay purchase, I just received a parcel which contained about 60 NOS stainless steel blades, a few carbon blades, a Valet Autostrop blade and case, some soap and a brush. The Wilkinson Sword blades, I believe dating from the 1970s, I know to be excellent, and ditto the Gillette Super Silvers, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience of the Stainless Perma-Sharp Supreme blades, which the packaging says were made in Britain, and the pristine Yardley shave stick, which still has a very pleasant scent. I also wonder whether the Boots shave stick refill, which a faded label indicates cost 19 pence, might in those days have been tallow-based.
I have very low expectations of the Great Wall brush, which looks like a cheap Chinese product and probably is, and know as much as I need to about the Autostrop blade; I've tried one of these contraptions and decided it wasn't for me. So, please fire away with any information about the Perma-Sharps and soap.

Vintage soaps are almost always worth a try. The Yardley is almost certainly excellent. The Boots is probably nothing like its modern incarnation and may be quite good too.

Top Bottom