What's new

Straight razor storage

Hey all, great info here. I've decided to keep my razor in a silicon sleeve, in a clean sock, in my sock drawer. For oil, I have a bottle of 3 in 1 that I've used for pocket knives to great success. Is this a decent oil for a razor? And FWIW, I've been especially conscientious of keeping the scales and everything near the pivot completely dry during shaving. That's easier said than done, but so far, I've kept it up.

Hey all, great info here. I've decided to keep my razor in a silicon sleeve, in a clean sock, in my sock drawer. For oil, I have a bottle of 3 in 1 that I've used for pocket knives to great success. Is this a decent oil for a razor? And FWIW, I've been especially conscientious of keeping the scales and everything near the pivot completely dry during shaving. That's easier said than done, but so far, I've kept it up.

That will work wonderfully. Your razors have a happy future ahead.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Here's where I keep my current rotation. One of a kind, bespoke Cobra skin 7 razor case, made for me in Bangladesh a few years ago.

$20150823_191914.jpg

$20150823_192103.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm not using sleeves in it. Just a very light coating of oil. Hasn't created any problems. Certainly a trace of oil gets into the leather but no biggie. In a drier climate, or in a house with AC running all the time, (this is on my sailboat) I probably wouldn't oil razors going in this case.

$20140725_111801.jpg

Its a silverware chest that I keep in my bedroom. Works awesome and lets me know when I have too many straights :) Not shown are the dessicant packs that I keep in there to prevent moisture.

Chris

Is there a preferred way to store a straight razor between shaves? I just got my first one, brand new from TSS. I will probably only use it once or twice a week, and I know I need to properly strop it before each shave, but is there a way to store it between shaves so it has a better chance of lasting for generations?

Once the blade has dried thoroughly, dip it in a solution of 4 pts. methyl alcohol to 1pt. USP mineral oil, taking care not to touch the scales with it. After a few minutes, once the alcohol has evaporated, fold the razor up and store it away in a relatively dry place (i.e., not the bathroom).

Last edited:
View attachment 596293

Its a silverware chest that I keep in my bedroom. Works awesome and lets me know when I have too many straights :) Not shown are the dessicant packs that I keep in there to prevent moisture.

Chris

I took note on you treasure trove, in silver wear box, and you said lets you know when you have too many straights, lol I have outgrown two of such boxes, as my collection (addiction) keeps growing. Latest box is 44 razor capacity, not there yet on filling this latest one, I need to stop buying razors:lol:

I have the first two for sale, both are 24 razor capacity.$$_57.jpg$$_57.jpg$834713717_o.jpg$834713728_o.jpg

Top Bottom