What's new

Suggestions for using Pre Shave Oil

I have been reading a few posts about the benefits of using a pre shave oil. So I stopped by a nearby Art of Shaving store and picked up a bottle of their unscented oil. I am looking for a couple of tips from the gents that use this stuff.

How much do you usually apply?

Do you apply it after the shower or during the shower the way that some use conditioner as a prep?

Thanks

I have been reading a few posts about the benefits of using a pre shave oil. So I stopped by a nearby Art of Shaving store and picked up a bottle of their unscented oil. I am looking for a couple of tips from the gents that use this stuff.

Do you apply it after the shower or during the shower the way that some use conditioner as a prep?

Thanks

When I was using it, I applied it after the shower, but before the beginning of the shave, if that makes sense.

I used about a dime size dollop.

Thanks

I bought a bottle of AOS citrus oil about 2 years ago, than I discovered that hair conditioner works better. If your hell bent on using it, I would apply it before you hop in the shower, and make sure you wash the bulk of it off before you run the blade over your face. I find that the oil does soften my whiskers but if there is too much, the razor pulls on my skin. You might also consider purchasing some grape seed oil as it works just as well as the AOS oil and costs about 10% as much.

When I was using it, I applied it after the shower, but before the beginning of the shave, if that makes sense.

I used about a dime size dollop.

+1 on Duggo's comments. Pre-Shave works great after the shower. Before you lather. Remember a little goes a long way. It's not astroglide. :wink:

Pre-shave oil didn't seem to do much for me, on the first pass anyway. I like to use hot towels and the oil doesn't seem to work well with that. For later passes splash 4-5 drops in hand and put on wet beard. Re-wet 20 seconds later and shave with or without cream on top. Shaving oil is also recommended for people with goatee's and mustaches so they can see where to touch up with blade around those areas.

Pre-shave oil didn't seem to do much for me, on the first pass anyway. I like to use hot towels and the oil doesn't seem to work well with that. For later passes splash 4-5 drops in hand and put on wet beard. Re-wet 20 seconds later and shave with or without cream on top. Shaving oil is also recommended for people with goatee's and mustaches so they can see where to touch up with blade around those areas.

I use pre-shave oil after a shower - I find it works great softening the beard before applying shaving cream - also allows smooth razor glide -

Although sanuginz makes a good point that it's more effective in the later stage of shaving as a hot towel provides good enough prep etc... - I tend to use it at the beginning just because I enjoy how smoothly the razor glides

Two or three drops is usually sufficient - any more and my face feels too greasy.

Hope this helps! :smile:

I tried a bit of the oil after my shower, but didn't really like the experience. The shave was smooth, but the stuff really stuck to my skin. I only used a bit, but I didn't the feel of it. Also, it seemed to deaden the sound of the shave. It stopped my my nivea ASB from absorbing after the shave as well. I won't be using the oil again

Top Bottom