What's new

Your Top Picks for the Best Behaved Ink

For my go anywhere/write on anything pens, I prefer fine to EF nibs filled with ink from a 12 year old bottle of Skrip Black.

If the frequency of use is any indication, the best behaved inks I have are Montblanc Midnight Blue (old formulation) and Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

After that are the standard bearers of the ink world: Sheaffer, Lamy, Pelikan, Parker, Waterman.

My top picks would be;

Iroshizuku inks in general especially ama-iro
Diamine inks in general especially Ochre
Any of the J Herbin inks
DepArtamentis inks

I always favored Diamine inks, until I discovered Iroshizuku inks recently which has become a quick favorite.

Good behavior means different things to different people. I use Waterman Florida (Serenity) Blue as a test ink that is friendly to any newly acquired or repaired pen. However, on paper it is extremely washable and I've lost too many notes to coffee mug rings and condensation from glasses of ice water. I prefer a more water resistant ink for daily use. My currently favorite for best behaved (good lubrication and flow with little feathering) and water resistant is Namiki Blue. I think of bleed through as more of a nib/paper problem--how wet is the line and how absorbent is the paper. Of course the ink can influence that as well, paper influences feathering as well.

Top Bottom