What's new

Question on pinning

How tight should should the pivot pin be ? The pivot hole in a razor I'm wanting to re-scale mic's out at 2.15mm, and the brass rod I have for the job is 2mm. Is .15mm too much leeway, or will the tension and expansion provided by peening be enough to keep the blade from wobbling around?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Non issue. Just peen it tight enough to guide the blade firmly between the scales and bobs yer uncle.

I have rescaled some old choppers that have a pivot hole much larger than the new brass pin. The holes were worn oblong so larger pins wouldn't be an option. Never had a problem with any play in the scales. Just do what Slash says and peen it carefully and soon you will have a new uncle or something like that. JK Slash

I have rescaled some old choppers that have a pivot hole much larger than the new brass pin. The holes were worn oblong so larger pins wouldn't be an option.

I use 1/16 brass rod, and make a sleeve of 1/16 (interior diameter) brass tubing the width of the tang at the pivot point for the pin. It does eliminate some play.

Thanks gordo I'll keep that in mind. Right now though I think I'll go with a good tight pinning and see how that works out.

Top Bottom