What's new

London Bathecary in Charlottesville, VA

I had the weekend free from call at the hospital, so the missus and I jumped into the car and headed north to Charlottesville, VA to see the London Bathecary in its new location. Since there has been a lot of speculation with no real information, I thought I'd post it here.

It's on the bottom floor of the parking garage up at the intersection of Second St. and W Water St downtown.

proxy.php

The door is facing Water St.

proxy.php

You can park in the garage and if you buy something at the Bathecary they will validate your ticket and you get free parking. Apparently in Charlottesville, this is quite something.

As you walk in, the amount of space is somewhat overhwelming. It is apparently upwards of 4,000 square feet of men's and women's grooming supplies. :crazy:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

So, without further ado, here is the good stuff for your perusal. Oh, and by the way, there are a lot of areas in the retail store that had clearance items that are NOT going to show up on the website. So if you're in the area and interested in stuff like clearance Penhaligon's, Caswell Massey, and some Taylor and Trumper stuff you won't find elsewhere, stop in. The ladies there today were real nice, and when I asked if I could photograph the store for posting a review, they were very kind and approved it.

ACCESSORIES
They had the good stuff: a bunch of finest and silvertip badger brushes, prices not all that bad really. They also had a few straight razors (REAL straights) by Dovo and Thiers Issard, one of which I picked up and felt was extremely sharp. They also had in there a Dovo Merkur shaving kit with the Futur, a bowl, and a Dovo silvertip brush, a tiny Merkur bikini razor (for real! just like the one Cary Grant used in North by Northwest), strops, Geo Trumper colognes, alum blocks, Dovo DEs, Mitchells' Wool Fat, Trumper razor/brush kits, and Vulfix replaceable cartridge handles.

proxy.php

GEO F. TRUMPER section

All the stuff is out there for viewing and smelling. Also they have little testers here and all over the store labeled TESTERS that you can spray all over the place

proxy.php

TAYLORS SECTION
proxy.php

proxy.php

MUSGO REAL
proxy.php

TRUEFITT AND HILL
proxy.php

FLORIS

proxy.php

proxy.php

ACQUA DI PARMA
proxy.php

CASWELL MASSEY
proxy.php

PENHALIGON

proxy.php

SOME ON CLEARANCE...
proxy.php

L'OCCITANE

proxy.php

It was an interesting experience. The ladies there were pretty nice, until I got there to check out, the ladies working there starting haranging me about how I was buying a bunch of stuff for myself and none for my wife. But that's okay, if I didn't like women, why would I own one? (I love my wife) :001_tt2:

Sorry to any Charlottesville natives, but this place gave both my wife and I the willies. We're hardcore Texans, so the liberal hippie college town atmosphere may have done it. But we can say we've been there now. And I hope this gives y'all a better incentive to go there. It's a great place! :biggrin:

Charlottesville is about two and a half hours from me. From the looks of your pictures, the trip will be more than worth it!

Awesome job, dude. I was always curious as to their scene.

What a cool place. Must be nice to work all day around all that fine-***, high-tone, manly swag.

I went there with my wife in April and had the same experience, except most of what I bought was for my wife. Amazing store, bring lots of cash.

One of the things I look forward to when I visit my son and daughter-in-law at UVA! I love the place; can't get out of there for less than $100.

Great report, thanks.

Now, all of you, don't start buying up all their goodies, leave some for my next visit!

-Hunter

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
One of the best reviews by a member of an establishment, PLUS excellent photos that I have read on B&B. I enjoyed your post very much! Thanks.

I was lucky enough that my girlfriend was right there when they had their moving sale. Snatched up a Liter of Trumper's Skin Food for a reasonable price. You should have heard the comments from the girls...

Best - MM

Why don't one of you guys start a meet up there? I know the liberal crowd is kinda bothersome, but there are some great restaurants to have lunch at.

I'll go, but I'm not coordinating anymore meetups.

Why don't one of you guys start a meet up there? I know the liberal crowd is kinda bothersome, but there are some great restaurants to have lunch at.

I'll go, but I'm not coordinating anymore meetups.

IN FACT, if someone does coordinate one, I will personally do the next B&B Vendor Interview LIVE and in person. I've already been talking to the owner about this, on just about every trip I make up there, but if we get a huge showing, they will know the kind of support they can expect from us.

Phil,

Great report and photos. All that Trumper's! All that Penhaligon's!

I wish to Starbucks that we had a nice retail shaving emporium/personal care place in or near San Francisco.

One that carried more than two or five products.

One that wasn't constantly out of stock of one product or another.

One that didn't markup the product prices by 50%.

One where you could walk in, wallow in the sensory overload and walk out with some AdP Colonia, Penhaligon's talc, and a tub of Trumper's limes.

One that doesn't involve AOS.

The SF bay area is seriously deficient in such a fine monument to the manly art of shaving and grooming.

Sorry to any Charlottesville natives, but this place gave both my wife and I the willies. We're hardcore Texans, so the liberal hippie college town atmosphere may have done it. But we can say we've been there now. And I hope this gives y'all a better incentive to go there. It's a great place! :biggrin:

Thanks for posting the pictures. That store would be deadly to me so I suppose it's good that I'm not within driving distance.

A long time ago my wife and I debated about moving to Charlottesville so we found a cheapy airfare and flew over on a Thanksgiving weekend. We loved the place but because we're both born and raised Left Coasters, we were a tad disoriented with Virginia. Not in a bad way, but it seemed like such a change. That, and I'm sure the townfolk would have put us in cages once they learned that a couple of San Franciscans were invading. We felt the town was a fairly conservative or at least middle of the road community that would be a great spot to raise a family. Of course, after having lived here in the Bay Area, everything else seems conservative. And normal.

And speaking of San Francisco...

I wish to Starbucks that we had a nice retail shaving emporium/personal care place in or near San Francisco.

One that carried more than two or five products.

One that wasn't constantly out of stock of one product or another.

One that didn't markup the product prices by 50%.

One where you could walk in, wallow in the sensory overload and walk out with some AdP Colonia, Penhaligon's talc, and a tub of Trumper's limes.

One that doesn't involve AOS.

The SF bay area is seriously deficient in such a fine monument to the manly art of shaving and grooming.

Ditto, and more ditto.:sad: We have Nancy Boy but you can only find Floris at Gumps and Pennhaligon's at Wilkes Bashford. Oh well. Portland for strip joints and Charlottesville for fine fragrances.

Top Bottom