What's new

absinthe

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
TBH I don't care for it. Even in a Sazerac I prefer Herbsaint. But to me the classic absinthe preparation is all ritual and gimmickry. YMMV of course. Booze is a very subjective subject.

I have it in my cabinet, use it in small amounts in cocktails or in a Sazerac....only occasionally enjoy it by itself...probably should a bit more, as I like to mix things up yet forget about this that sits in the back of my cabinet...I have St. Georges, which one do you enjoy?

As a French major, I was so fascinated by the ritual, gimmickry, and mythology of absinthe that I picked up the history of La Fée Verte (The Green Fairy) by Barnaby Conrad.

I've still never actually tasted the stuff!

+1. Have had this in Europe. What we get here in the US is a bit different to my taste. Certainly a drink with a terrific history!

I had some American absinthe when I was in high school and thought it was okay. it wasn't until years later that I had some (what I consider) real absinthe while I was stationed in Italy....then I had it in Greece, Israel, England, Norway, Spain and Georgia(country, not state)....maybe a few others but I cant remember. it is definitely better than anything I have tried since being back in the states. good thing we can order it and have the good stuff shipped to America. lol. I love the ritual of it, its pretty fun I think. they do some crazy stuff in Georgia as far as setting it on fire, trapping the fumes, huffing them and then drinking the drink....and I wont lie a couple of those will put you down. hahaha. I still prefer the traditional method tho.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I had some American absinthe when I was in high school and thought it was okay. it wasn't until years later that I had some (what I consider) real absinthe while I was stationed in Italy....then I had it in Greece, Israel, England, Norway, Spain and Georgia(country, not state)....maybe a few others but I cant remember. it is definitely better than anything I have tried since being back in the states. good thing we can order it and have the good stuff shipped to America. lol. I love the ritual of it, its pretty fun I think. they do some crazy stuff in Georgia as far as setting it on fire, trapping the fumes, huffing them and then drinking the drink....and I wont lie a couple of those will put you down. hahaha. I still prefer the traditional method tho.
NetRang3r:
proxy.php
...you've got some excellent experience with the 'green muse'! :w00t:

Also, if you're interested...check-out these other (good read), Absinthe Threads. :thumbsup:

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320370-Absinthe-Recommendation?highlight=Absinthe

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/264952-The-Green-Fairy?highlight=Absinthe

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/197675-Absintheurs?highlight=absinthe

BTW, someday I just might try some. I like the ceremony and required absinthe paraphernalia too (Sooo Cool).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
"What difference is there between a glass of Absinthe and a sunset?" Oscar Wilde

PS I wonder if there any truth to the legend of 'Meeting the Green Lady'?
proxy.php

Last edited:
I used to enjoy the old substitutes like Pernod and Ouzo. Although absinthe is sold locally, I have not bothered with trying any brands because I am almost a teetotaler nowadays.

I'm working to get the ingredients required to make a Sazarac, so will be trying to acquire some of this spirit soon. I guess once I do, I owe it to myself to try some on it's own. :)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
At the Roosevelt Hotel, arguably world headquarters for the Sazerac, they spray the herbsaint from a spray bottle into the glasses, rather than swirl it. So you could do the same with absinthe. Herbsaint was the de facto substitute for absinthe during its multi-generational absence from the American bar shelf and now it has been used for so long that many bars never went back to absinthe when it hit the market again.

I've vowed to never touch the stuff to my lips again. I had a horribly uneducated experience with the "real stuff" a long while back.

Years later, while even having educated myself to knowing the proper way to consume, I won't even convince me in ever trying it again. Just not interested. Each to their own though. I can certainly appreciate the ritual and serving method, however. I think it's pretty neat..... Now that I know you're suppose to add water and such.

my favs are: la fee, lucid, le tourment vert, and Hapsburg...the "Van Gogh" absente you can find at most ABC stores is good in a pinch, used to be horrible but they have stepped their game up in the last ~8 years....if youre looking to try some alandia.de is a great site for acquiring all kinds of different absinthes...I would not recommend "king of spirits" absinthe unless you like drinking the equivalent of acid, that has a hint of anise flavor after it melts your throat/stomach.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
my favs are: la fee, lucid, le tourment vert, and Hapsburg...the "Van Gogh" absente you can find at most ABC stores is good in a pinch, used to be horrible but they have stepped their game up in the last ~8 years....if youre looking to try some alandia.de is a great site for acquiring all kinds of different absinthes...I would not recommend "king of spirits" absinthe unless you like drinking the equivalent of acid, that has a hint of anise flavor after it melts your throat/stomach.
NetRang3r:
Thanx for all the info above, support and of course, for sharing with us! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&quot] “[Other spirits don't] curl around inside of you the way absinthe does … There is nothing like absinthe.” Ernest Hemingway[/FONT]

Top Bottom