What's new

Black powder on strop?

Hey gents, I have a question about my strop. I have a three inch black SRD strop with the white upgraded linen (can't remember the name) and recently it's been giving off a black powdery substance on my razors. I do restorations but I'm careful to get the swarf off the blade before stropping. It's been treated with Fromm 364 strop dressing and recently reapplied after wiping it down with a damp cloth to remove some of the black. However in still getting this powder.

Is is this because I'm wearing the strop out? I don't feel like I'm applying too much pressure and I've had a fellow honer check my technique and say it's pretty good so I'm just curious what it could be. Anyone have any suggestions? I look at my razors under a 100x loupe and it's not adding any funny gritty scratch patterns or anything, but at $90 I don't want to destroy this thing.

I believe so. 3in black with d rings on the bottom with a white soft linen. SRD brand

Mine does the same thing. It leaves behind a black film on the spine of my razors after stropping. No biggie, I just wipe it off afterwards.

If it were mine, I would wipe it every day after use with a damp cloth followed by a vigorous rub with a dry cloth until that behavior stopped. But that is only if it were mine YMMV.

Your experience is entirely normal judging by my own. Don't worry about, it will not harm your blade. Just wipe it off if it bothers you.

My very first strop as a teenager was a "Medal of Award" strop that I bought from the local Barber and Beauty supply in the early 1980's (President Reagan was in his first term). The leather side deposited a slight residue on my blade until the mid 1990's (President Clinton was in his second term) before it stopped doing so. I judge that the residue never had an adverse affect on my blade. The reason being that when it stopped depositing the residue the draw on the strop seemed to go away and get glassy and the blade seemed to need honing more frequently (if I remember correctly).

In short, it seems that what you're experiencing is natural and an effect from the leather tanning/preparation treatment. It's nothing to be worried about.

Chris

Your experience is entirely normal judging by my own. Don't worry about, it will not harm your blade. Just wipe it off if it bothers you.

My very first strop as a teenager was a "Medal of Award" strop that I bought from the local Barber and Beauty supply in the early 1980's (President Reagan was in his first term). The leather side deposited a slight residue on my blade until the mid 1990's (President Clinton was in his second term) before it stopped doing so. I judge that the residue never had an adverse affect on my blade. The reason being that when it stopped depositing the residue the draw on the strop seemed to go away and get glassy and the blade seemed to need honing more frequently (if I remember correctly).

In short, it seems that what you're experiencing is natural and an effect from the leather tanning/use preparation treatment. It's nothing to be worried about.

Chris
Thanks for this post, Chris!
I too have the same issue with
a 3" strop from Maggards.
Good to know this appears
to be normal.

Top Bottom