What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

RazoRocktober 20: Dentist Appointment

Lather: RazoRock XXX "Formula Duro"
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft "Disruptor" (22mm/57mm)
Razor: Gillette Goodwill (pre-patent, Made in England)
Blade: Feather [64]
Balm: Proraso White Crema Dopo Barba

Early dentist appointment so I needed something quick and easy, and with a subtle yet refined scent.Classic Italian citrus is what I usually reach for in these situations. XXX lathered up quick with just a 10 second load. The Plissoft holds just the right amount of water, and I have not needed to load for more than 15 seconds with any soap since I got it.

I shaved with the "good" English Goodwill today. The other pre-patent one I have has the diamonds and top-cap corner fangs filed so that the previous owner could continue to use the old 3-hole blades. He probably stocked up with 25 years worth of blades when he heard they were being discontinued ;-) Both shave identically, but I didn't have to fiddle with blade alignment with today's razor - the Goodwills use the diamond studs and top cap corner fangs for alignment rather than a bar like their NEW cousins.

Finished off with the amazingly scented Proraso White and am ready for what awaits.

And yet another 60% All Italian Shave. :blink: :biggrin1:

SOTD

Prep: Splash of hot water on face
Brush: Omega 10015
Soap: Proraso Red Tube
Razor: Gillette Super Click No Guard (GSCNG)
Blade: Personna Red (1)

View attachment 696895

Someone posted in the No Guard DE? thread. So by way of making it easy for them to produce a "no guard" razor I checked out the cheapo Gillette Super Clicks I'd ordered from Thailand, modified one straight away, then shaved with it (as above)... posting the "how to" instructions below his post.

Considering this was an AU $3 razor (including shipping), it was a really nice shave. Plenty of steep angle and controlled pressure here... are you going to give your Dad's old "no guard" a shot [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION]?

RazoRocktober 22: Single Edge Saturday with the Hawk

Lather: RazoRock Son of Zeus
Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional [3]
Splash: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Fastest ... normal shave ... ever!

Now that I feel I've got the Hawk dialed in, I decided to shave with is "as designed". What I mean is I was shaving with the wider bladed Hawk as if it were a narrower Injector (i.e. same number of strokes). Today I used a wider stride between strokes, taking full advantage of the wider blade. The shave was over much quicker since there were less strokes to take.

As for closeness, it easily shaves as close as my I2 injector, maybe a tad closer, but that's only relevant to someone who chases BBS. No irritation at all either (just like the E2).

At $20 I might just buy a chrome one to keep as a spare when they come back on sale this week or next.

Miserable rain today and into tomorrow. They're calling for 50 more millimeters on top of what has already fallen over the last two days.

are you going to give your Dad's old "no guard" a shot @rudyt?
Now that I'm getting the hang of this steep angle shaving (and liking it) I'm definitely going to give me dad's DEvette another shot sooner than later. I find steep angle shaving relies MORE on the guard than shallow angle shaving, which relies more on the cap, so I might hate the guardless DE even more ;-)

I find steep angle shaving relies MORE on the guard than shallow angle shaving, which relies more on the cap, so I might hate the guardless DE even more ;-)
True. But sometimes it can be hard to resist a challenge (a nice test for your "pressure" skills :wink2:).

And yet another fine (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

SOTD

Razor: Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant
Blade: Personna Red (2)

$SOTD-PBOCS_2016-10-19.jpg

Being a minimalist (well, sort of) I just love the Proraso Red soap and ASL. I could happily use only them till the end of my days. But, of course, you always wonder "what if?"

Having a coarse beard and dry skin, Proraso Red works absolute wonders for me. My skin hasn't felt this good in decades!

So my question is... are there other soaps and ASLs that would pamper me like Proraso Red does? I don't really want to break away or anything. It's just that my mind boggles, and I think of adventures, when I read Stefano's and Rudy's posts.

So my question is... are there other soaps and ASLs that would pamper me like Proraso Red does?
The ingredient in Proraso Red that makes your skin happy is Shea Butter. DeLuxe Shaving and First Canadian Shave Soap Company both make Shea Butter shaving soaps, and being Canadian, are a bargain because your dollar goes farther.

Also, look into Chatillon Lux, who make a great line of post-shave salves that are mainly Shea Butter.

Sorry to be out guys but hard times are flying around Stefano's house. It happens.
Well a short visual summary of what happened since the last four days. Still continung with Saponificio Varesino stuff (so much love for that) and many other great stuff.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And finally the SOTD
SOTD 25 October 2016
Year 1 Week 13 Day 2

Saponificio Varesino October day 25.
A Sicily Manna for a great soap

Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia, a great brush and an excellent razor. Plus ending nice with a great splash and illipe butter. What else?

Pre: shower
Brush: Omega S10108
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
AS: Fine Snake Bite / Saponificio Varesino Illipe Butter

proxy.php

And yet another fine (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

SOTD

Razor: Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant
Blade: Zaza (1)

View attachment 698216

The ingredient in Proraso Red that makes your skin happy is Shea Butter. DeLuxe Shaving and First Canadian Shave Soap Company both make Shea Butter shaving soaps, and being Canadian, are a bargain because your dollar goes farther.

Also, look into Chatillon Lux, who make a great line of post-shave salves that are mainly Shea Butter.
Thank you for the info Rudy. :thumbup1:

SOTD 26 October 2016
Year 1 Week 13 Day 4

Saponificio Varesino October day 26. Fresh fougere. Wednesday with an elegant end shave

A long filthy preshave routine. Started the evening before by applying some Mango butter few minutes before shaving some Oscars Oil

Saponificio Varesino Felce aromatica is a great fougere, an Italian intense fougere soap. Lathering with a synth brush so it explodes.

Omega Barberpole is fantastic in terms of loft and also in visual terms. Bello e bravo.

FATIP Piccolo loaded with a super sharp Astra gives a close easy shave. Almost BBS in only two passes: this is effectiveness!

Ending great with elegance. A good splash of the excellent American Blend and a crim of Mango butter again. Yes this is my way.

Pre: Mango Butter, shower and Oscars Oil
Brush: Omega Barberpole Hi-Brush
Razor: FATIP Piccolo
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
AS: Fine American Blend / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

RazoRocktober 27: Another Hawk Report

Lather: RazoRock Son of Zeus
Brush: Italian Barber 2012 LE boar (custom 50mm loft)
Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional [4]
Splash: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Another all-RazoRock shave today, and it was a good one. Son of Zeus will always be a top scent for me. I was tempted to buy the Fine l'Orange Noir soap, but there's no point. SoZ nailed the scent profile and strength. I'm sure the scent of Mr. Fine's soap is equally bang-on, but I've heard it's weaker.

My 4th shave with the Hawk and it was the best one yet. This might be the most efficient razor I own. Really close shaver that's abnormally smooth for its aggressiveness. It's definitely more aggressive/efficient than a Schick Type E Injector, and just as smooth. There is more blade feel, but not at the expense of smoothness. This is a great one or two pass razor for people who get irritated by too many passes.

Hey Rudy, fine Orange Noir seems to have always great reviews. I have three AS from mr. Fine and they all are excellent.
That Blackhaw is more or less efficient than Fatip Piccolo?
Yes as Fatip Piccolo I go for two passes usually not more otherwise being loaded with shaprper baldes it goes too much close.

SOTD 27 October 2016
Year 1 Week 13 Day 4

Saponificio Varesino October day 27. The darker the day the deeper the shave

Saponificio Varesino Cosmo is everything needed from a shave. Shaving excellence.

Omega 6783 The soap eater. Eats a lot and replies with a stunning amount of lather.

FATIP Testina Gentile and Astra blade. Gently killing all whiskers, effectively a DFS in 2 passes it even going atg!

Ending with Chanel Egoiste Aftershave and Illipe Butter. Speechless.

proxy.php

SOTD 28 October 2016
Year 1 Week 13 Day 5

Saponificio Varesino October day 28. Renewing my all Italian golden shave.

Just a shower, a great soap a fantastic brush and my grail razor. Ending with a miracle aftershave. Yes I'm feeling good.

Pre: Shower and Mango butter
Brush: Omega 6793 limited edition
Razor: Garibaldi
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70esimo
AS: Saponificio Varesino 70esimo and Mango Butter

proxy.php

RazoRocktober 28: No Zen for Me - Frenzy! Frenzy! Frenzy!

Lather: RazoRock The Stallion
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant with stand (v2 aluminum)
Blade: Feather [68]
Splash: RazoRock The Stallion

Almost at the end of RazoRocktober. It's been a great run, and reconfirmed to me that RazoRock Italian soaps are world-class, and can stack up to any soap in my den.

Inspired by watching Charles Roberts' videos yesterday, I decided to try going even faster than I usually do. I usually do a pass in 30-45 seconds (closer to 30), but today, I kicked in the afterburners and got it down to about 20 seconds. No nicks, nor irritation, and while 30-45 seconds feels natural to me, 20 seconds is frenzied and demands too much attention.

I sniffed my Cella yesterday, and now I'm torn between Cella and Proraso White for Tuesday's first non-RazoRock shave. First World problems, I know ;-)

fine Orange Noir seems to have always great reviews. I have three AS from mr. Fine and they all are excellent.
That Blackhaw is more or less efficient than Fatip Piccolo?
Yes as Fatip Piccolo I go for two passes usually not more otherwise being loaded with shaprper baldes it goes too much close.
Fine l'Orange Noir and Terre d'Hermes that it was modeled after, is my signature scent. Unlike many of my "manly" splashes, my wife like this one.

I'd say the Black Hawk is more efficient than my Piccolo (old version), but has a completely different shave feel. It's smoother, and doesn't actually feel like its cutting, but like the Piccolo, it can easily cut too close, which I don't like also. It feels and sounds like you're dragging a credit card across your face.

Now question for you. Since G&C is having a sale, I'm going to make an order for some Via Barberia Fructi Serum that you got me hooked on. I know we've both tried the Via Barberia cream in a tub, but have you tried the hard soap? If yes, is the scent stronger or weaker, and how is the performance? Grazie!

Another fine (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

SOTD

Razor: Mühle R41 (on Knockout bakelite handle)
Blade: Personna Red (2)

$SOTD_2016-10-29.jpg

My latest game is playing around with handles. I'm really loving the light bakelite handles on just about every razor I have (not that many), barring the Piccolo with its M4.5 thread.

Top Bottom