What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

the best match with the Soldatino is a sharp blade as wrote before. And yes it has a thread that can be used in the ball tech for sure.
I did a test and it works.

SOTD 19 January 2017
Year 1 Week 25 Day 4

The fresh and classic white Proraso for a feel good shave. Lathered with this nice S-Brush is perfect so also the Gillette smoothness.
Rudy I know that Proraso White is your favorite, still I dont know why I cant use it more...
The iconic SuperSpeed well I always say thank you [MENTION=50233]SteveWY[/MENTION] the matching with Gillette blades is near perfect.

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Omega S10108
Razor: Gillette Super Speed 72
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Proraso Splash / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

I have not tried that but am certain it would. Same 10-32 threads on the post and handle also. A nice mild razor.
Sorry, my post might not have been clear. What I meant to say is the top cap of Il Soldatino fites perfectly on the oval-slot Tech baseplate and vice versa - totally interchangeable.

Sadly, mine is missing the original ball-end handle; mine came with an aluminum English Tech handle - same 10-32 threads as most other vintage razors.

Rudy I know that Proraso White is your favorite, still I dont know why I cant use it more...
The scent of the white is pure magic to me. Classy and dignified, without smelling too much like cologne. I also have the liquid balm in the square bottle - almost time to stock up actually.

Since discovering boar, I'm not interested in badger any more (too floppy for me).

The Wee Scot, because of it's very low loft, is nowhere near floppy. It's actually got more backbone than the Bambino.

The Mixed Midget is a mix of pure badger and boar. The feeling is different than either a boar or a badger. It's not floppy, but it's not a backbone monster either. I bought it as a travel brush originally, but it quickly earned a spot in my regular rotation as the size is perfect for me.
:001_rolle I slept on your post (so to speak) Rudy. And I'll be damned if I didn't wake up this morning thinking about it!
(Boy, does B&B have a lot to answer for? :facep:)

Also, thinking about my friend [MENTION=111161]ShavingByTheNumbers[/MENTION] Grant's blade survey threads, I wondered if you'd complete a small brush survey for me (for all three brushes)?

HERE'S THE BIT FOR COPYING AND PASTING:

Brush:
Ease/speed of lathering (0-10):
Volume of lather held (0-10):
Painting accuracy (0-10):
Handle comfort/grip/control (0-10):

(Where 0 = worst, and 10 = best.)

I wondered if you'd complete a small brush survey for me (for all three brushes)?

(Where 0 = worst, and 10 = best.)
Omega Bambino:
Ease/speed of lathering (0-10): 8
Volume of lather held (0-10): 8 (3-4 passes)
Painting accuracy (0-10): 8
Handle comfort/grip/control (0-10): 6

Simpson Wee Scot:
Ease/speed of lathering (0-10): 7
Volume of lather held (0-10): 7 (3 passes)
Painting accuracy (0-10): 9
Handle comfort/grip/control (0-10): 5

Omega Mixed Midget:
Ease/speed of lathering (0-10): 9
Volume of lather held (0-10): 9 (4-5 passes)
Painting accuracy (0-10): 7
Handle comfort/grip/control (0-10): 7

For reference, one of my favorite boars is the B&B Essential Boar. It scores:
Ease/speed of lathering (0-10): 9
Volume of lather held (0-10): 9 (4-5 passes)
Painting accuracy (0-10): 6
Handle comfort/grip/control (0-10): 9

Note: take the numbers in a relative sense in comparing the brushes against each other. My 7 may be someone else's 9. I rarely give 10s.

^ :thumbup: That's great Rudy. Thank you very much for taking the time, and for the additional explanation(s), appreciated.

SOTD

Yet another fine (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Prep: Splash of warm water on face
Brush: Omega 10086
Soap: Proraso Red Tube
Razor: Phoenix Bakelite
Blade: Silver Star (26)

$PBOCS-Fab4_2017-01-22.jpg :001_wub:

My new (bigger) bambino brush is a star, it's giving me consistently fabulous performances, I love it. :thumbup1:

Omega Bambino:
Ease/speed of lathering (0-10): 8
Volume of lather held (0-10): 8 (3-4 passes)
Painting accuracy (0-10): 8
Handle comfort/grip/control (0-10): 6
I'm betting you'd give the Omega Bigger Bambino (with the longer handle) an 8 at least Rudy.
$Omega-Bambino-50068.jpg $Omega-Bigger-Bambino-10086.jpg

I don't love the bambino I feel so alone!
:)

SOTD 23 January 2017
Year 1 Week 26 Day 1

Starting well my Monday with luxury Vetiver shave. Strong pure Vetiver with a strong pure performance. Needless to say this is the best Vetiver around I tried until now.

Brush: Omega 46126
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Soap: Nannys Silly Soap Vetiver
Aftershave: Denim River / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

I'm betting you'd give the Omega Bigger Bambino (with the longer handle) an 8 at least
The handle on the Bambino and Wee Scot are their biggest drawbacks. The Bigger Bambino would score at least a point, maybe 2 better than the Bambino.

No worries though, I'm going to re-handle it at some point. I'm also going to try setting it a few mm deeper too.

Jan 23: B&B Soap Theme - Soap Sticks

Lather: Valobra stick
Brush: Omega 11047 "Mixed Midget"
Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline (1950s model)
Blade: GEM Stainless [15]
Splash: RazoRock XXX

First run with the Valobra soap stick. Why is it you can never nicely unwrap the wax paper - it always tears. Before I go on, can anyone who has both the Valobra Fougere and the stick confirm if the scents are the same. I've read conflicting reports; some people say the stick is the fougere scent and some say it's unscented.

I did my standard stick rubbing routine and got a really thin and unusable lather. That's not right, so I rinsed off and repeated the procedure again, this time for longer. Much better - I now got the thick Valobra lather I was used to. This soap is harder than my other sticks, so it's logical that I need to apply for longer to abrade as much product as a softer stick.

One more stick tomorrow and I'm done with the January theme. I don't have either of the two soaps (MWF and Haslinger) to participate in the last leg.

The handle on the Bambino and Wee Scot are their biggest drawbacks. The Bigger Bambino would score at least a point, maybe 2 better than the Bambino.

No worries though, I'm going to re-handle it at some point. I'm also going to try setting it a few mm deeper too.
:thumbup1: And pics when you've done it please Rudy.

I don't love the bambino I feel so alone!
:)

SOTD 23 January 2017
Year 1 Week 26 Day 1

Starting well my Monday with luxury Vetiver shave. Strong pure Vetiver with a strong pure performance. Needless to say this is the best Vetiver around I tried until now.

Brush: Omega 46126
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Soap: Nannys Silly Soap Vetiver
Aftershave: Denim River / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Stefano, we all know when it comes to brushes size does matter!

Its always interesting to see you use soaps that I've never heard of. Silly name for a soap ;-)

And I can tell you that this soap deserves the higher ranks of my shave den and to be known more since is a small bdrand.

It's really well made, scents are not complicated (as we are expecting from a UK based soap) but really nice essntial oil powered.
But something that leaves astonished is the lather and the unbelievable post shave. Probably the best ever tried.
A soft thick shiny lather and a greasy (not in the oily meaning, I cant explain better) post shave.
And there something strong in Vetiver that I love.

SOTD 24 January 2017
Year 1 Week 26 Day 2

Another great tobacco scent thanks to the stunning Blackbeard from the lovely WSP. This brand is a safe harbor for an elite shave!

Brush: Omega 102
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (2)
Soap: WSP Blackbeard
Aftershave: Floid Blue / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Top Bottom