What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

Buongiorno Amici!

The Bolzano blade has smoothed out and I had zero weepers, nicks, or irritation today. A very nice BBS and followed with a good splash of Floid Suave! Nice!

Yes, as many sharper blades I think they reach the optimum potential after 2/3 shaves

I just ordered a Fa Tip (Piccolo) from Maggard I guess that when it arrives I must join you fine gentlemen. I already have all the other Italian stuff (except for the aftershave) though I am a little afraid of this razor!

Welcome! We look forward to hearing from you. Don't be afraid but do respect the FaTip. T

FatipPiccolo: Open combrazor in nickel. The Piccolo has a shorterhandle than the Grande. The Piccolo is for those who like a razor with a bitof a personality. While it can be a bit ornery if in the wrong hands, it ispure bliss for more experienced shavers and will provide a close and efficientshave. Handle length 70-71 mm/ total length 78-80mm/ WT 70 g

There are several FaTip threads you can look at but they will tell you basically the same thing...

· For me, the key to the FaTip is ABSOLUTE ZERO PRESSURE!! Withthe NEW, Cadet, Mariner and especially the R41 there is some degree of tactileand auditory feedback allowing you to gauge the shave as you go, as long as youare mindful. However I find the FaTip soincredibly smooth that it's difficult to gauge the correct angle from feedbackand easy to become cavalier and careless since it gives almost no warningbefore it bites. Success requires a little practice until the correct anglescome naturally, and ZERO PRESSURE!! to insure against mistakes. The payoff is an extremely close yet superblysmooth shave unmatched in its combination of aggression and comfort by anyother DE.
· No pressure, zero pressure. Light, careful touch. Respect it-Angle & Pressure.
· Have to get right balance and be diligent.
· May take 5-7 shaves to learnthe balance and technique.
· May be too much for everydayuse. May be better for heavier growthshaves.
· Safe to say there is a learning curve with the Fatip.Follow the earlier advice here and your shaves will get better. For me the sharpestblade works best. Just let the instrument and the blade do the work, a Featherblade just glides, mows and there is no tugging. Eventually the Fatip awesomeefficient shaves will become addictive. Good luck.
· I used mine every day for a week, and it just got better.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for the Fatip, uh, tips. I can't wait to try one out.

Four days in a row of Cella shaves and I must say my face feels fantastic. Like a bambino, as they say.

$IMG_3022.jpg

[Warning: Explicit shave geek content follows] As I alluded to earlier, I was ruminating a bit on the differences between Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima (aka "Cella from the brick" or just "brick" Cella) and Cella, Crema da Barba all’Olio di Mandorla (aka "red tub" Cella or "bowl" Cella). As Stefano noted, they have the same ingredients, which begs the questions of why two different names for the same product? Or are they the same product? Could the ratios of the ingredients be different, even if ever so slightly? Is it all just marketing? I assume that the kilo brick is primarily intended for barbers, while the tub is intended for home use. The definitive treatment of the topic is undoubtedly Marco's Cella Vs Cella discussion, although much digital ink has been spilled on numerous forums. Marco, like many others, holds that "brick" Cella is indeed different and the superior product. There certainly seems to be a general sentiment that the red tub is but a gateway - a "sample", if you like - and serious lovers of Cella should have a brick on hand.

Thanks to a generous PIF from Stefano, I've been lucky enough to try both versions of this wonderful soap. I would have to say that I agree with the Stefano. Performance wise, I find no difference. The only discernable difference is the tub version has a much stronger scent. Since I love the smell of Cella in the morning, my preference would veer towards the tub for that reason. Not that I don't aspire to kilo brick ownership in the hopefully not-too-distant future. Who doesn't want a giant block of Cella in their shave den? Besides, I hear it makes great shower soap too.

Going back to the red tub for a moment, it seems that the biggest criticism of said vessel is its size. Many think its just too small for effective loading. Personally, I couldn't disagree more. Its just the right size to hold securely while swirling vigorously with a big Omega brush. Sure, suds spill out. I just chalk it up to part of the Cella experience. I love the tub's securely closing screw-on lid and that it doesn't take up too much space on the shave shelf.

Anyway, I guess that's all I have to say right now. Happy shaving everyone!

No weeps or cuts nor burns.
Everything went smoothly mainly because the blades. I think that now they are plain perfect... Sometimes I feel the tiny teeth of FATIP. I think it's just a matter of distraction.
Omega brush and Cella: No other words other than grazie!

This morning a good AS is completing this round, Italian round ha!

Its just the right size to hold securely while swirling vigorously with a big Omega brush. Sure, suds spill out. I just chalk it up to part of the Cella experience. I love the tub's securely closing screw-on lid and that it doesn't take up too much space on the shave shelf.

Anyway, I guess that's all I have to say right now. Happy shaving everyone!

Happy you joined our shave-off John!
Lovely!

Stefano,

Hopefully I"ll find the Omega Brush you have pictured, I'm still looking. Shave this morning was with Proaso Green Crema, & Pre-shave, with Blue Aftershave balm.

Stefano,

Hopefully I"ll find the Omega Brush you have pictured, I'm still looking. Shave this morning was with Proaso Green Crema, & Pre-shave, with Blue Aftershave balm.

Wonderful! If you dont find it in a physical store you have just to go for online one.

tankerjohn

Thanks Stefano. Its been fun.

This morning, for a change of pace, I went with Proraso Blue cream and Proraso Green AS (opposite of bsimon :w00t:). I also used my Pro 48's little brother, my Omega SB-550. I picked up the SB-550 at a local variety store. I've not seen many references to that model number on-line, nor is it on Omega's website. But it looks very similar to the 10065/66. I assume its one of Omega's discontinued cheapie drug store lines. I'll post pics and thoughts on the shave later - gotta go back to work. :glare:

Omega Sb-550 is the Omega #65 or #66.
If its like this or this is #65
proxy.php

if it's like that it's the #66
proxy.php

Both are glorious, probably cheap but as always, effective!
:)

tankerjohn

Yes, thank Stefano, that's it exactly! So Fratellino there is a 10065 - that's good to know. :thumbup1: That little black brush is my face lather champ. Easily my best brush with shave sticks and really good with everything else. I confess I usually prefer my Semogue 1800 for lathering creams. But this is the All Italian Shave-Off, not the Italian/Portuguese Shave-Off, so Fratellino gets the call to whip up the Proraso Blue. (The Merkur gets a pass because I don't have an Italian razor...yet)

$IMG_3023.jpg

Of all the Proraso creams, my favorite is Blue. Red and Green are awesome in their own ways, but if I had to choose just one to use daily, it would be Blue. (To be honest, I haven't tried White yet, but judging by the description, I think I'll still prefer Blue) I love the scent with its light anise and fresh herbal/medicinal thing going on. Just love it! I have to wonder, though, why its labelled "Sapone" when its clearly a cream...in a tube, no less?

Although Proraso obviously has a very large fanbase, it also seems to be disdained as merely average by many wetshavers. I wonder what they are doing wrong since I get thick creamy lather and fantastic shaves everytime. I suspect that many people don't use enough product. I read early on to be sure to use plenty of cream - a walnut size dollop at least. That advise has served me well. Blue is especially wonderful. Besides its lovely scent, it has a light menthol, Vitamin E and aloe that leaves my skin feeling wonderful. (though the post-shave feel is still a notch below Cella)

Gratuitous word on the only non-Italian piece of today's SOTD - the Merkur 47C. HIGHLY underrated razor. Maybe underappreciated is a better word. The handle on this thing is phenomenal; this photo doesn't do it justice. I'll put the chrome job against any Muehle or EJ. Its gorgeous! The shave is fantastic, too. Better than the 34 or 38c. Almost as good as the Slant Sledgehammer. The head looks the same as the other non-slant Merkurs, but for whatever reason, it shaves me just a little bit better.

Greetings! I have been out of town for work, remote and no running water so I skipped the shave today. I will be back to our inaugaral shave in about six hours.

I am thrilled with the thread response and seeing some are joining in on the Italian fun!

Please stay tuned for Saturday as Stefano and I are deciding on our Week 2 Italian set up. Hint: we will be going all pro!

Buono sera.

This thread has inspired me to order both Cella and Proraso Red! They should be in on Monday! I would have tried them earlier, but I just got into wet shaving three weeks ago.:thumbup1:

Today's protagonist are the Bolzano blades
I was surprised of the long lasting and smooth effective blade after 5 days!
Cella is never disappointing and it's boar companion I still love it as the first time.
The more I use the brush the softer us going to be. What else?

Signor Mostho, have you ever tried to use a shim with your Fatip? I find that adding a shim makes the Fatip much smoother, and I'm not the only one. You should try it if you haven't done so already.

I would have loved to participate in the all-Italian shave, but I had already committed to another challenge, using the same equipment every day for the month of August. I am using Palmolive Crema di Barba al Mentolo from Italy, so I'm partially with you.

PS, I miss your old avatar

This thread has inspired me to order both Cella and Proraso Red! They should be in on Monday! I would have tried them earlier, but I just got into wet shaving three weeks ago.:thumbup1:

Sweet! Welcome to "Little Italy"! Stay tuned on Friday for our announcement of the next week's Shave Off line up.

Ciao and happy Thursday! Well, after a short night's sleep I was welcomed back to my shave den by my Week #1 set up. FaTip w/ Bolzano (4), Omega Italian Flag Boar and Cella. I must reinforce that Cella likes lots or loading and adding some drops of water along the way. I like to go back to the soap for a little more lather between passes. I had a very fine, close shave with absolutely no problems or irritation. I finished with a splash of Spanish Floid. I need to get some Proraso or other Italian AS to complete my all-Italian line up.

Stefano and I are sure having fun with this thread and we hope you are too. As we all come to know on B&B, the camaraderie and fellowship is the best part. We hope you subscribe and join in and share the adventure. Remember, you don't have to follow our posted routine but just pick any Italian product you have or want to try and jump in!

Without even seeing this thread, I used my Fatip, Omega 49, Cella and Proraso Green AS this morning. I just didn't have an Italian blade!

RudyT, I'm curious about the shim. I've got my EJ shimmed but haven't tried it with the Fatip. How many are you using?

Joe

Signor Mostho, have you ever tried to use a shim with your Fatip? I find that adding a shim makes the Fatip much smoother, and I'm not the only one. You should try it if you haven't done so already.

I would have loved to participate in the all-Italian shave, but I had already committed to another challenge, using the same equipment every day for the month of August. I am using Palmolive Crema di Barba al Mentolo from Italy, so I'm partially with you.

PS, I miss your old avatar

No, I haven't tried at today to shim the Fatip.
I font know of I want it smoother, because once mastered and using different blades, I think it will be smoother.

And also I have also some other smoother Razors to use! ;)

Thanks and enjoy!

Top Bottom