What's new

2015-16 English Premier League/Champion's League

I'm looking forward to watching Arsenal again after a summer of building high expectations. Who else is ready for the upcoming season? What English (or other European) sides do you follow?

Looking forward to the upcoming season. Not because I believe Liverpool will be good or compete for a Champions League spot, but to watch the world's best football league.

I'm looking forward to watching as well, but let me raise a practical question. Here in the States, I have my favorite sports teams, and by and large, grew up with them. For the Premier League, locals have their own favorite teams for similar reasons. As someone who dips in and out watching whatever games NBCSN broadcasts, how am I supposed to develop allegiance to one team? How did other non-locals settle on their favorites?

I'm looking forward to watching as well, but let me raise a practical question. Here in the States, I have my favorite sports teams, and by and large, grew up with them. For the Premier League, locals have their own favorite teams for similar reasons. As someone who dips in and out watching whatever games NBCSN broadcasts, how am I supposed to develop allegiance to one team? How did other non-locals settle on their favorites?

For me it was watching Michael Owen in the 1998 WC for England. I discovered he played for a pro team called Liverpool. Which, by the way, is the hometown of the Beatles. A Red supporter since.

YNWA

Told my story before about picking Newcastle back in the early 90s as the team I would support. I chose them because they were a team on the rise, and picking Arsenal, Liverpool, or ManU, etc was just too easy a choice to make. But, oy vey . . . this season, even WITH Maclaren at the helm is going to be a rough one. Anything from mid-table mediocrity to relegation is on the table, and likely will be every year until Ashley either sells or changes his mind about winning on the field as opposed to the bank ledger.

If I were coming into it now, I would STILL look away from the established "big" clubs for a team that played attractive and attacking soccer. Swansea, over the last few seasons, has been fun to watch, especially as they will sometimes snatch a win from one of the "Big 4" at a very opportune moment. Spurs, and Everton could also be nice choices for the new viewer looking to find a rooting interest. Lots of history with both Clubs, and potential for a breakout year (STOP LAUGHING !!!).

I think this year is unlikely to be the runaway that it was last year. We all knew it was going to be Chelsea by December, it was just a question of when they would clinch. This year, it really DOES look up for grabs. Arsenal looks improved, Chelsea somewhat status quo, ManU bought everyone available so they should be better, though they might lose De Gea before the window closes, and almost CERTAINLY will in January. Man City? Who really knows . . . some tweaking, but no blockbuster transfer.

How did other non-locals settle on their favorites?

I started watching the Premier League by chance in the 13-14 season. I watched my first few games without any prior knowledge, and really not knowing which teams I was watching. I have a few friends that are Arsenal and Tottenham supporters, but I basically just watched any teams that were playing. After a few games, I started noticing that Manchester United seemed to be on pretty often and so started watching more of their games. After a few weeks I started recognizing their players and after a few more I started watching their games over other teams. It was only later that I went back and learned of their history and all their titles, etc. so I don't really consider myself a bandwagon fan since I had no idea who they were. But whatever, they're my team now, so Go MUFC!

Incidentally, the first game of theirs that I sat down to watch on purpose was the game where someone paid to have the banner-plane fly overhead with the anti-Moyes message. I was very confused. :tongue_sm

sleepy

I don't follow any team in the Premier League specifically. I read a little bit on all the major European leagues (England, Italy, Spain, France). I enjoy watching Champions League matches, especially the knockout rounds, when I get a chance to. Without a fancy cable or satellite package the viewing options for European football in the US are still pretty limited. It's nice that NBCSN is making some of these games available to a wider audience.

I have a good friend who follows Arsenal very closely, so I have some sympathies there. There are a couple of other European teams I follow, but that's for another thread.

I don't follow any team in the Premier League specifically. I read a little bit on all the major European leagues (England, Italy, Spain, France). I enjoy watching Champions League matches, especially the knockout rounds, when I get a chance to. Without a fancy cable or satellite package the viewing options for European football in the US are still pretty limited. It's nice that NBCSN is making some of these games available to a wider audience.

I have a good friend who follows Arsenal very closely, so I have some sympathies there. There are a couple of other European teams I follow, but that's for another thread.

Franz - "Usually" the late game on Sat. is on NBC. You only need an antenna to watch.

This season I am going to try to follow EPL. After scouting the sides I have narrowed it down to Everton, Swansea and Bournemouth. I will give it some time before attempting to narrow it down further. Excited for the coming weekend.

Everton is the house favorite at Simpsons.

My kids' club was inspired by QPR back at their founding 50 years ago, and I rooted for them last year. Saw how that turned out.

I have been a Nottingham Forest supporter since birth, 42 years and counting. That being said I love the English Championship, honest hard working players in that league, and on any given game day any team can win which makes it entertaining.

The over paid theatrical Premiership players can be entertaining to watch, but the diving gets too much at times. Swansea have been entertaining in recent seasons, as have Southampton, so I'll cheers for them.

I have a favorite team I follow in every major football league. I admit, I watch way too much football, always have.

Told my story before about picking Newcastle back in the early 90s as the team I would support. I chose them because they were a team on the rise, and picking Arsenal, Liverpool, or ManU, etc was just too easy a choice to make. But, oy vey . . . this season, even WITH Maclaren at the helm is going to be a rough one. Anything from mid-table mediocrity to relegation is on the table, and likely will be every year until Ashley either sells or changes his mind about winning on the field as opposed to the bank ledger.

If I were coming into it now, I would STILL look away from the established "big" clubs for a team that played attractive and attacking soccer. Swansea, over the last few seasons, has been fun to watch, especially as they will sometimes snatch a win from one of the "Big 4" at a very opportune moment. Spurs, and Everton could also be nice choices for the new viewer looking to find a rooting interest. Lots of history with both Clubs, and potential for a breakout year (STOP LAUGHING !!!).

McClaren is a wally. Give it time, you'll agree with me soon enough.

After one Saturday, raise your hand if you had Crystal Palace or Leicester City atop the table. (3pts & goal difference). [emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji471][emoji471]

TheShaun

Bejeweled

I have always just watched and not supported. But have always wanted a team to route for just to have a little more skin in the game. Well, about two weeks ago I stumbled upon a Sergio Aguero highlight reel and I was hooked. Man City is my team I have decided. And as luck would have it, just last week I was in a sporting good store only to find an authentic 2013/2014 Man City home jersey on sale for $35 in my size. So now I'm ready!!

To top it off, there are a few Man U supporters in my office so now we have some rivalry at work.

I have always just watched and not supported. But have always wanted a team to route for just to have a little more skin in the game. Well, about two weeks ago I stumbled upon a Sergio Aguero highlight reel and I was hooked. Man City is my team I have decided. And as luck would have it, just last week I was in a sporting good store only to find an authentic 2013/2014 Man City home jersey on sale for $35 in my size. So now I'm ready!!

To top it off, there are a few Man U supporters in my office so now we have some rivalry at work.

The only thing worse than a United supporter is a Chelsea supporter.

City is a fine choice as a team to call your own. Good luck to City on Monday (night).

Not a bad choice, a club with a bit of history. If you wish to be a true supporter learn about that history, and learn the words to Blue Moon, Boys in Blue, and If I Had The Wings Of a Sparrow. The last one will give you a good laugh at the very least.

Woo hoo. Liverpool 1, Stoke 0. A share of the top of the table (points wise).

Monday night futbol wraps up week one.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
where can i watch game highlights? the premier league site doesn't seem to have them unless i'm missing something

Top Bottom