What's new

Need a coffee maker

Almost a month into this. The coffee is great. Clean up doesn't bother me but wife doesn't care for it (so I do it most of the time)

The two hour shutoff is driving us nuts! We are thinking of maybe getting a Stainless carafe. Are there any inexpensive options that will hold heat for about 4 hours?

Maybe a big yeti cup?? Hahah

After it shuts off when u turn it on does it go straight to warm? Because you can get a timer or a wifi control outlet to shut off then on real quick if it does?

It's not pretty, but a Stanley/Aladdin thermos does a great job keeping things hot. Fill it up with the hottest tap water you can manage when you start the brewer, then dump the water and add the coffee after it's brewed. If you need something pretty, Nissan has a good reputation, but it's a little pricier. Or these: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/frieling-eleganza-stainless-steel-server (no endorsement of course, just found them searching around and thought they were pretty.)

I mentioned that to the wife since I have a Stanley thermos. Not the look she is going for.

Maybe a big yeti cup?? Hahah

After it shuts off when u turn it on does it go straight to warm? Because you can get a timer or a wifi control outlet to shut off then on real quick if it does?

We use to do that with our old one. Just turn it off and on again. This one has a sensor to see if there is water in the reservoir to brew. This stupid machine is too smart.

We are thinking of maybe getting a Stainless carafe. Are there any inexpensive options that will hold heat for about 4 hours?

I transfer my coffee from the brew carafe into a glass lined thermal. Coffee stays drinking hot for about 4 hours and acceptable warm for up to 8 hours.

well worth the expense.

1.85 liter air pot (latest addition) holds the full 12 cup bunn brewer

proxy.php

1.5 and 1 liter pour carafes hold 8 and 6 cups.

proxy.php

Mick, who makes these two? How fragile are the glass inside of these?

Both were bought off of eBay and they were NOS (70's) Japanese manufacture. The 1 liter (white) was made by Allgo (Japan). The 1.5 liter (black) was made by Zoijrushi (Japan). I have a Zojirushi 1 liter pour carafe (glass ), a 1.5 liter Damond (DIA Japan) pour over, a 1.8 liter Zoijrushi air pot, and a bunn 2 liter air pot.

Any glass is breakable if you drop it. No problems in normal use.

Air pots dispense by pushing a button or lever. Pour carafes need to be picked up and poured. Other than that they are the same as far as keeping coffee at a warm drinking temp.

ALWAYS pre-heat your carafe with boiling water before adding your coffee. I double by pouring boiling water through the filter and holder to rinse the paper filter and pre-warm the holder before brewing.

You can still get Zojirushi thermal carafes new but not in the style that I like (those have been discontinued)

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/thermal-carafes

SWMBO made me get rid of my Bunn air pot brewer and the 2 pump style air pots. she said I should not be drinking 2 liters of coffee a day :sad:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well here is an update: the Icoffee died. Not even 2 year of service. :a13:

Sorry to hear that. 2 years service is unacceptable, but sadly all to common with many devices these days. May I ask which model you had? Was it a single serve or a multi-serve?

Sorry to hear that. 2 years service is unacceptable, but sadly all to common with many devices these days. May I ask which model you had? Was it a single serve or a multi-serve?
It was the multi-serve.
proxy.php

I wouldn't recommend one. It has a special permanent filter that you need to empty and rinse. They tell you to tap the filter against the garbage can to empty. They say this is okay since it it made from space age plastic. Well over the 2 years I have had 2 filters split on me. We weren't even that rough on it. To Remington's credit they replace them for free. Over all I think it is just over complicated and over engineered.
I went out and bought a Bunn BX that was on sale. I hope this lasts longer than the Remington.

It was the multi-serve.
proxy.php

I wouldn't recommend one. It has a special permanent filter that you need to empty and rinse. They tell you to tap the filter against the garbage can to empty. They say this is okay since it it made from space age plastic. Well over the 2 years I have had 2 filters split on me. We weren't even that rough on it. To Remington's credit they replace them for free. Over all I think it is just over complicated and over engineered.
I went out and bought a Bunn BX that was on sale. I hope this lasts longer than the Remington.

I think you'll enjoy the Bunn!

I think you'll enjoy the Bunn!
I was a little scared because the one I bought the spray head fell off and it was stripped. I called the company and they said they would send out 2 replacement plus 2 restricted flow ones. I ended up going back to the store and swapped it out for another one.
Well the coffee seems a little on the sour side which is from the flow going too fast. Today the new spray heads showed up and I replaced the head with the restricted flow one. I'm glad to say that new spray head took off out the sour taste.
Now if the Bunn lasts longer than 2 years then I think we have a winner.

I was a little scared because the one I bought the spray head fell off and it was stripped. I called the company and they said they would send out 2 replacement plus 2 restricted flow ones. I ended up going back to the store and swapped it out for another one.
Well the coffee seems a little on the sour side which is from the flow going too fast. Today the new spray heads showed up and I replaced the head with the restricted flow one. I'm glad to say that new spray head took off out the sour taste.
Now if the Bunn lasts longer than 2 years then I think we have a winner.

I had a Bunn in the early 80's, I used it until the early 90's and gave it to my brother. I believe he still uses it.

We are huge coffee drinkers (kinda all day long) and years back bought a maker from Cuisinart
with a thermal carafe instead of glass (here cozzy review). We will never go back to glass.
Once the coffee's made in the morning, it will stay hot and fresh for a long time in the stainless carafe without having to heat it from a plate like the glass ones require.
Plus, they won't break!

We are huge coffee drinkers (kinda all day long) and years back bought a maker from Cuisinart
with a thermal carafe instead of glass (here cozzy review). We will never go back to glass.
Once the coffee's made in the morning, it will stay hot and fresh for a long time in the stainless carafe without having to heat it from a plate like the glass ones require.
Plus, they won't break!
+1 for the insulate carafe. I'll never go back to a glass carafe and hot plate. It ruins the coffee.

Last year I purchased a Bonavita 1900 with insulated carafe. Too soon to tell how durable it will be, but based on this first year of service I can say it makes the best cup of coffee of any drip coffee maker I have owned.

+1 for the insulate carafe. I'll never go back to a glass carafe and hot plate. It ruins the coffee.

yep... Even putting it in the microwave to warm it back up changes the taste.

Thermal carafe is about the only method to keep coffee warm without changing the flavor of it

Last year I purchased a Bonavita 1900 with insulated carafe. Too soon to tell how durable it will be, but based on this first year of service I can say it makes the best cup of coffee of any drip coffee maker I have owned.

I've heard good things about the Bonavita brewer. Never owned one but I trust a few of those who have commented on how good it is.

No votes for old school percolators?

I have a small one but I don't use it very often.

I've grown so accustomed to my commercial Bunn brewers that I rarely use any other method... EVEN my Chemex which I feel makes a better tasting brew than the Bunn does.

proxy.php

yep... Even putting it in the microwave to warm it back up changes the taste.

Thermal carafe is about the only method to keep coffee warm without changing the flavor of it

I've heard good things about the Bonavita brewer. Never owned one but I trust a few of those who have commented on how good it is.

So far my Bonavita has been great, but of course it depends on what you are looking for. It heats up to 200 degrees consistently, which is where the great tasting coffee comes from. Beyond that its fairly basic, no timers, etc. Which I prefer. In a drip coffee maker I want:

Makes great coffee,
reliable,
simple to use and easy to clean.

So far the Bonavita ticks all of those boxes. Except of course the durability part. Only time will tell on that front. As a former Bunn owner I expect 2-3 decades of solid performance.

So far my Bonavita has been great, but of course it depends on what you are looking for. It heats up to 200 degrees consistently, which is where the great tasting coffee comes from. Beyond that its fairly basic, no timers, etc. Which I prefer. In a drip coffee maker I want:

Makes great coffee,
reliable,
simple to use and easy to clean.

So far the Bonavita ticks all of those boxes. Except of course the durability part. Only time will tell on that front. As a former Bunn owner I expect 2-3 decades of solid performance.
How would you compare the Bonavita to the Bunn?

Top Bottom