What's new

Need a coffee maker

Mick's the guy I listen to when it comes time to get coffee gear, and when I need to rewire my house. He's a Jedi at both. :thumbup1:

I burr grind and digitally weigh my coffee most mornings. Having worked my way through other brands, have zero complaints with the brew from a Bonavita.

Regardless of what make you decide to pull the trigger on, coffee really doesn't take long to change flavor on a warmer. For those leisurely mornings that you don't quickly kill a pot on the way out the door, the first sip will taste about as good as the last from a thermal.

Not nearly enough votes for a moka pot. Easily the best, lowest-maintenance coffee machine you can buy. As easy to use as a drip machine but a billion times better (and no more paper filters).

It easily fits under my cabinets AND it can be either direct plumbed OR pour over. I use mine as a pour over and dump in 72 oz of water for a full pot.

proxy.php

That's exactly how my counter should look. SWMBO disagrees. Vehemently.

Several off topic posts trimmed here, including my own.

Let us know how the new coffee maker works for you, John. Enjoy!

This is going to be interesting. I'm watching tracking and the item is showing out for delivery.....in Florida!

Icoffee arrived. Brewed a pot. I didn't time it but it is slow. Whoever thought that having a coffee machine sound like an ice cream truck should be shot. But the coffee was very hot. It tasted very much like the french press. Wife even commented on how good it was. Clean up wasn't much worse than the french press. We'll see how this works out in the long run.

If you are looking for a programmable SCCA certified maker - Brazen is your ticket. The only downside - they are 8 cup and only come with a stainless carafe. I was always a glass carafe kind of person, but after migrating to stainless I have never looked back. I have to say I have owned many coffee makers and Brazen is by far the best I have ever owned.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer

We had a Bunn die after 3+ years and our some talked us into buying a Technivorm Moccamaster or Bonavita so after looking and reading reviews we went with the Moccamaster

Icoffee arrived. Brewed a pot. I didn't time it but it is slow. Whoever thought that having a coffee machine sound like an ice cream truck should be shot. But the coffee was very hot. It tasted very much like the french press. Wife even commented on how good it was. Clean up wasn't much worse than the french press. We'll see how this works out in the long run.

Keep us posted on how it works out over time.

All coffee makers need to be descaled regularly. The frequency depends on the water quality you are using to brew with.

Not sure about the mineral content in your water?.... All municipal water supplies must post an annual report. Find yours and schedule your descaling and cleaning routine around your water quality and you should not have any issues.

We are way out in the willy waggs so we are on a well. We use a water softener.

So far so good. The only thing that we really dislike is the 2 hour auto off. You can't just turn it on again to keep it warmer longer.

We are way out in the willy waggs so we are on a well. We use a water softener.

So far so good. The only thing that we really dislike is the 2 hour auto off. You can't just turn it on again to keep it warmer longer.

I hate appliances that are designed to protect you from yourself.

The Hottop coffee roaster has a safety feature that won't let you start a second roast until the chamber has dropped below a set temp. I bypassed this and now I can do back to back roasts.

Almost a month into this. The coffee is great. Clean up doesn't bother me but wife doesn't care for it (so I do it most of the time)

The two hour shutoff is driving us nuts! We are thinking of maybe getting a Stainless carafe. Are there any inexpensive options that will hold heat for about 4 hours?

Last edited:
I have not heard of any machine that will continue to power its hotplate for 4 hours. Most advertise 2 hours in the name of safety, so there might even be some UL regulations around that (just speculating, I do not know). Microwaving to heat the coffee back up might be your only option, but without storing the brewed coffee in a air tight carafe, I don't think it will taste very good.

I bought a BonaVita 2 years ago on Mick's advice. I do like it. I also owned one of the first H.B. Brewstation. I thought it made great coffee too. If you decide you don't like the one you have, get another Brewstation.

The two hour shutoff is driving us nuts! We are thinking of maybe getting a Stainless carafe. Are there any inexpensive options that will hold heat for about 4 hours?

It's not pretty, but a Stanley/Aladdin thermos does a great job keeping things hot. Fill it up with the hottest tap water you can manage when you start the brewer, then dump the water and add the coffee after it's brewed. If you need something pretty, Nissan has a good reputation, but it's a little pricier. Or these: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/frieling-eleganza-stainless-steel-server (no endorsement of course, just found them searching around and thought they were pretty.)

This is what I was thinking of doing. Any ideas for a Thermal Carafe?
I have the one below and is awesome, it's definitely not high end but it keeps the coffee hot for at least 5 hours. Sometimes I'll come back home from work and is still quite warm 8-9 hours later.

mr coffee

Edit: Sorry didn't read the entire thing until now and I see that you were just looking for just the carafe, the one with the coffee maker is 10 cup one I don't know if they have a replacement one but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with Scanomat's TopBrewer? Compelling design but I have no idea how good (or bad) the coffee is.

Top Bottom