What's new

Need a coffee maker

The Bonavita with thermal carafe will brew up to 40 oz at a time, measure the grinds into filter, press one button and walk away. It turns off automatically. It has just one button to press yourself, and that's it. This is heresy in these parts, I know, but I buy pre-ground coffee and get a great cup from the Bonavita. I'm sure it would be even better if I did all of the grinding myself, but I need t get baking and pickling down before I move on to coffee.

It's tough to detect the gradual decline in flavor when you buy preground, and drink it until it's gone. If you bought a bag of whole bean and a bag of preground from the same batch, and drank each every day (grinding the whole bean before brewing), you'd see a distinct difference around day 3, with the gap widening as days went by. It's just chemistry, nothing you can do about it.

Grinding is a lot easier than pickling and baking, that's for sure. Damn pie crusts! :blush: Hope you pick up a grinder someday, you'll enjoy it!

I'm super happy with my Technivorm KB-741.

It's by far the best quality drip machine I've owned, both in terms of materials, build quality and coffee taste. All their machines are hand-built and it really shows once you have it sitting on the counter in front of you - it feels very sturdy and like it's built to last. In case something should go wrong, it comes with a standard 5-year warranty and if you register your product on their website, Technivorm will extend it to 10 years. :thumbup: Another thing I really like about the machine is how easily it comes apart, which really makes cleaning and replacing parts lot easier. As far as brew time goes, it'll brew 10 cups/1.25L/42oz in 6 minutes, so it's pretty fast as well. :001_cool:

It comes with either a glass or a thermal carafe. Also, make sure you decide whether you would like the model to have an automatic drip stop or a manual one. I personally chose the manual version as it offers a 'half-open' setting that allows you to slow down the water flow for when you're brewing half a pot of coffee or less. This will ensure that the water will remain in contact with the coffee grounds for the correct amount of time, resulting in a full flavoured cup of coffee, even while brewing smaller quantities. This is a very handy feature if you don't brew a full pot of coffee every time. :001_smile

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have had two Delonghi Magnificas so far and I like them. I am using the compact model right now. Nothing could be more convenient. Dump half a sack of beans in the hopper, fill the tank with good water, plug it in and turn it on. As long as it is still ON, (there is a timer and you can set it) push a button and stick your mug under the spout for a squirt of coffee. The machine will automatically grind and tamp the coffee, push the optimally heated water at the optimum pressure through the ground coffee and squirt the resulting espresso or whatever into your cup, push the puck of compressed grounds out into the hopper, give itself a little rinse, and its ready for the next customer. its largely self cleaning, and blinks at you when you need to do something. Every several weeks or so it will demand that you descale it, and it will complain if it is out of water or the puck bin is full and needs emptying. You can set the amount of water and the amount of beans to grind for each cup. There is a button each for an espresso shot, a double shot, an "American" coffee, a double American, and you can do hot water for tea instantly, or steam for frothing milk for a delish capuccino. As long as your beans are reasonably fresh and you have your settings where you like them, it will make you a great coffee. Its not only more convenient than a keurig or similar machine but it is more versatile and simply makes a better coffee.

I'm almost afraid to post back here. Okay I am afraid to post back here!

$post-29234-Patriots-93-Tommy-Kelly-sad-gi-BMny.gif

I ordered the Remington icoffee. I found a new one on the Bay for about $50. It is being described as an automatic French press. If this one doesn't work maybe I can convince my wife on the Bonavita.

I'm waiting on the hate.

Oh man. The icoffee huh? I worked for a celebrity who Remington wanted to hire to advertise the iCoffee. They sent him several units, and he gave them to me to run through their paces.

Pro's: It brews hot, and makes a decent > good cup. It agitates the grounds as it brews. It plays music and has lots of lights.

Cons:

- It takes a LONG time to brew a pot, 8-10 minutes or more
- Cleanup sucks, it's a complete pain.
- One unit leaked water everywhere, puddled on the counter, and the machine shorted and blew out from that puddle
- It plays music. Cool if that's your thing, but I don't want to hear The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere at 6am, especially when played on what sounds like a roach coach food truck or 1984 casio keyboard. THere's a setting to turn it off, just do it.
- It doesn't brew a better cup than a Technivorm or Bonavita, and given the hassle of use, it's simply not worth the money (at full price).

For $50 though, cool, enjoy. It doesn't brew a bad cup.

Take the $100+ savings (from the Bonavita price) and buy a Baratza Encore grinder and a pound of fresh roasted coffee!

Pro's: It brews hot, and makes a decent > good cup. It agitates the grounds as it brews. It plays music and has lots of lights.

Cons:

- It takes a LONG time to brew a pot, 8-10 minutes or more
- Cleanup sucks, it's a complete pain.
- One unit leaked water everywhere, puddled on the counter, and the machine shorted and blew out from that puddle
- It plays music. Cool if that's your thing, but I don't want to hear The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere at 6am, especially when played on what sounds like a roach coach food truck or 1984 casio keyboard. THere's a setting to turn it off, just do it.
- It doesn't brew a better cup than a Technivorm or Bonavita, and given the hassle of use, it's simply not worth the money (at full price).

For $50 though, cool, enjoy. It doesn't brew a bad cup.

Wife was threatening to buy a $15 Mr. Coffee if i didn't order a machine that day. She also had a last minute criteria of at least 10 cup Brewer. This caused me to panic!

The reviews all praised the what ended up in the cup. Poison, people were putting it similar to a cup of french press, your thoughts?

Music has an off switch. Who thought that people want a music box in the morning was a good idea?

The clean up, I'm hoping that it won't much worse than my french press.

First I heard about the leaking. I hope not!

It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I will let you all know. I also have a Gaggia burr grinder. It is older but I find works very well.

Last edited:
I'm almost afraid to post back here. Okay I am afraid to post back here!

View attachment 592996

I ordered the Remington icoffee. I found a new one on the Bay for about $50. It is being described as an automatic French press. If this one doesn't work maybe I can convince my wife on the Bonavita.

I'm waiting on the hate.
Absolutely no reason to hate. I think a few of us have pretty strong opinions on which coffee maker we would purchase. But we're not the ones buying it. And more importantly, you're SWMBO is not my SWMBO. If this thing works, you got a coffeemaker cheap and she's happy. If it's crap, you get the satisfaction of knowing you were right, and probably get to buy what you actually wanted in the first place. Really can't lose, can you?

Wife was threatening to buy a $15 Mr. Coffee if i didn't order a machine that day.

We have a $15 Mr Coffee. Actually, I think I paid under $10 for it, 10+ years ago, back when I rarely drank coffee, and was fresh out of college with no money to speak of. I wish that GD thing would die. We both want a new coffee maker, but don't need one, and financially, we have higher priorities. But, every time I brew a pot for my iced coffees, I look at that pile of garbage with disgust.

The $15 Mr Coffee is like Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation. It's cheap, it stays around for way longer than expected, and you don't want your friends to see you with it.

Hope you enjoy your new coffee maker! :thumbup:

Haha, funny stuff!

It is similar to a French press, sure, and like I said, it brews a good cup. It's worth $50, if you can tolerate the oddities of it. You did just fine!

I went to the icoffee site and watched 3 vids on the single serve and the multicup.

What got me about the continuous steam jet twisting agitation was what i thought mught be the opposite of what i thought typically was wanted in that i thought continuous agitation may lead to overextraction and bitterness.

When i saw the kcup vid I immediately thought ok as ive seen the weak looking beverage as it fills the last 1/2 of mug, but the multi seemed a bit off wjen i think how long agitation happens in all the other brewing methods.

Top Bottom