What's new

Excitied!

Man its only been a couple days since my order and I cant wait to get my first wet shave in. Not going to lie, a wee bit nervous about it all lol. But ready to take the plunge at the same time.

Since I have nothing to do but read this site most the day, I happen to stumble across Wolf Whiskers custom brushes. Man those things are a work of art. Cant wait till I know what I am doing and know what I like in a brush so I can order one. I can see the addiction happening all ready lol. And I have already started looking at other razors and I haven't even got my first one yet LMAO!

Razor: Merkur 34c
Blades: sample pack (feather, Gillette platinum, Gillette silver blue, Astra, Kai, Personna)
Soap: Proraso (green)
Cream: Taylor of old bond
Brush: Perfecto (badger). cheapo I know

I'm not familiar with the Perfecto brand brush but as far as I can tell that's a solid starter kit.

You will probably ignore this - which is fine - but get to know your equipment for at least a month before buying new razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. It will pay dividends as you are learning your technique.

I'm not familiar with the Perfecto brand brush but as far as I can tell that's a solid starter kit.

You will probably ignore this - which is fine - but get to know your equipment for at least a month before buying new razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. It will pay dividends as you are learning your technique.

Its a cheapy on amazon. I wont ignore that advice, that is my plan, just hope I can stick with it lol.

Remember, apply no pressure with a safety razor. Ditto on sticking with your original order for awhile. Best to limit your variables as much as possible while learning. Enjoy!

I saw the perfecto brush when I was shopping for a new brush I ended up with an omega boar brush it's still breaking in but works great

In honor of your first pending shave....from one newb to another:

$NoPressure.png

The best advice I can offer that hasn't already been posted is to read the Wiki's. Answers, solutions and general tips are all in there. I've been wet shaving for 30 years and I learned something (actually, a lot) in the Wiki's. The pictorial tutorial on making lather is invaluable.

I think your set up will serve you very well. That "cheapo" brush is similar to the Escali brush, you won't be disappointed with it until you get your first "high end" brush. The perfecto will do very well for you. I ended up with an Escali as my first badger brush

I continue to amazed by the quality of shave when I remember to make a lather that is wet enough and just let the razor slip across my face with no real pressure.

I remember that excitement. That was about two years ago for me.

Let me tell you, though... I almost quit a couple of times. I couldn't make lather from a puck to save my life, my neck looked like I had a virulent skin disease from the razor burn, and it didn't seem to be getting any better. But. It did. Eventually. Little bit by little bit. Landing on some good software kept me at it a couple of times: Arko stick and Bigelow cream, specifically. But, mainly, I just kept it in mind that this would be a long-term learning process. I basically had to unlearn years of muscle memory and then learn it over again with tools that are harder to use.

There were times and periods of time when the excitement gave way to anxiety and pain. But it passed, and then the excitement returned. I can honestly say that, whenever I learn something new these days about achieving a better shave, it's just as exciting as that day I opened my first box of shaving supplies. Learning is fun! And the tools you're getting are of so much better craftsmanship than cheap plastic crap and goop from a can.

Enjoy the immersion in an old-school endeavor. Remember that it won't all click right away. And keep looking forward to the day you make it over the hump and your satisfaction matches your present excitement.

Top Bottom