What's new

My first Barber shave

Well, let me tell you, worst shave ever. The guy is a nice guy, but he's not really proficient I don't think. I should have known better when he only charges 10 dollars and I saw a can of shave cream on the counter. No prep to begin with, didn't tilt me back. Put the cream on my face and started shaving me with a dull razor. After a couple of scrapes, he was having a hard time and decided to change the blade. One pass over my face, THEN put a hot towel over my chin and neck area for a short time, then put rubbing alcohol on my face. Needless to say, I had to come home and finish the shave. So disappointed.

Mi first barber experience was at TOBS, London.

Everything other than the actual shave was top notch.

The shave...

I think I would have bled less if he'd taken that shavette and stabbed me in the face with it ;-)

I thought he at least had mowed down the scruff but the skin of my face was apparently so swollen that when the swelling had subsided, after a couple of hours, I discovered that just about all the whiskery was still unremoved :-(

If I'd stabbed myself in the face, I would have saved £35...

My first (and last) barbershop shave as horrible too. The barber did everything I'd learnt never to do. Razor felt dull. Did only two passes and marvelled that in all her years of straight shaves she'd never seen someone with as sensitive skin as mine. Sensitive skin?!? That isn't me. I had to skip the next day's shave because of all the razor burn.

Well it depends from barber to barber IMO.
For instance in Italy, before the mode and the hot towels habits, most don't use any prep (or just a hint of pre-shave) but they lather straight on the face.
Said that they work a lot on the skin making a luxurious lather. Boar plus a soap (Proraso mainly but i found in old cityes also Figaro, Vitos, and other italian soaps)
After that the shave is made in two passes, and it's always perfect.
Finally a spray of good ol' AS (mainly Floid, the italian one now almost extinct) and a slight tap with the towel.
Perfect.
So it matter most from the barber IMO that all shaving equipment. I rely most on people and their experience, and never had any problem.
IMO & YMMV

Now I dont go very often to be honest, because I'm very happy with my daily shaves, but at least once in a month i go for this cuddle.

Last edited:
I think my biggest disappointment was the fact that it was a TOBS-administered nightmare

I could expect that from a bearded 20-year old hipster, but not from a centuries old barbershop in the heart of London

That's just unprofessional

A good barber, just like a good doctor....they are getting harder and harder to find, best to avoid them if you can.

My barber doesn't even have any shaving stuff at his place anymore. Says the liability with blood transferred diseases is too risky...possibility of lawsuits. Most barbers who do shaves, do so few that their technique must suffer. I shave myself every day so my technique is updated daily. I'll stick with shaving at home!

Yeoww! Barber shaving is definitely a lost art. Sad.

Once is all it took to bar me from letting anyone shave me.

I went to a barbershop for a standard haircut. He pointed out my three-month old beard. "I'm not using to seeing you with a beard during the summer. You want me to line it up for you?"

"Nah, I'm just going to go home and shave it off." Then he offered a straight razor shave. Sure, I thought. You only live once right?

He misted a couple of towels with a sprayer bottle and then put them in the micorowave (!) for about a minute. He wrapped them around my face and I almost screamed. Man, I like it hot, but I don't want to feel like you poured gas on my face and lit a match. After my skin finished melting I tried to relax.

The barber pulls out a straight razor from a murky jar of Marvicide and rinses it off under the sink. He started stropping the razor and I asked him what type of soap he used. "None, I have a hot lather machine." OK, cool. I turn to look at it and it's one of those 20 dollar Conair hot lather tubes that you can get at Wal-Mart. (Or used to be able to get, I don't know if they still manufacture it or not.)

He takes the towels off my face and starts lathering me up. I smell the familiar scent of Barbasol Aloe which causes my face to break out like crazy. "Hey, you got any other cream? This kind gives me a rash." He claims it isn't Barbasol Aloe but Gillette Foamy. Whatever.

He starts slapping the lather on my face like I owed him money. He puts one of the hot wet towels on my chest, which causes a big wet puddle to form on my shirt. He starts shaving near my sideburns but he's not stretching my skin at all. I hear him scraping away at my cheeks and jaw.

Then he gets to my neck. "Hey, please don't shave my neck north to south. My hair grows really strange there. Start at my adam's apple and head north." He tells me how he's mapped my beard and knows how to shave me without causing any irritation. Why shouldn't I trust him? I mean, he's a professional and all and I'm just a dumb 20 year old who shaves himself everyday with a straight razor and knows what his skin can take or can't take, right?

The whole time the blade is just tugging and skipping over my face. I asked him if he needed to strop the razor again. Nope. Tug, tug, skip, cut, nick, scrape, skip, tug. My God, this is downright painful. By the time he's done, he's basically done a one pass blade buff all over my face in a zillion different directions.

He towels my face off and I know I'm in for trouble because the white towel had a few dark red spots on it. He slaps some Lustray Bay Rum on me and raises the chair. He removes the bib-thing off my torso and instead of offering me a mirror, he starts rubbing my shoulders. I'm freaking out now. I was the only person in there. Why was this old man rubbing my neck and shoulders? And then, it's all over.

He hands me a mirror and I look at his handiwork. My face is beet red, with a bunch of ingrown hairs and a thick rash all over my neck. He sliced off part of a mole under my earlobe (which is alright I guess, since it never grew back) and my upper lip is bleeding, along with half a dozen other weepers. I paid the man and left and had to wait about a week before I could shave again. Then I had to wait yet another week because my face was still in pretty bad shape after that follow-up shave. In fact, I think I still have scars.

Never, ever ever again.

I must be lucky. I've only had 4 barber shaves - 2 from the Buckhorn Barbershop and Museum in New Braunfels, Texas, and 2 from the Gunter Barbershop in San Antonio. Both were great; and a relaxing experience.

I recently had a shave at Danny's Barbershop in Cedar Park, Tx. David Camacho took time to properly prep my face with a hot towel before applying T&H Pre Shave oil and warm shave cream. He was using a Shavette with a fresh Dorco ST300. He took his time, about 20 minutes, to give me a CCS, verging on BBS, with zero nicks or irritation. We talked about various shaving products and David seemed familiar with most of the brands we discuss here daily, though he is not a B&B lurker. Overall, I guess I'm lucky that my one and only barbershop shave was a very good experience!

I thought i was missing out having never experienced a shave, now i think I'll jus pass and am not missing anything! Haha

I went to a barbershop for a standard haircut. He pointed out my three-month old beard. "I'm not using to seeing you with a beard during the summer. You want me to line it up for you?"

"Nah, I'm just going to go home and shave it off." Then he offered a straight razor shave. Sure, I thought. You only live once right?

He misted a couple of towels with a sprayer bottle and then put them in the micorowave (!) for about a minute. He wrapped them around my face and I almost screamed. Man, I like it hot, but I don't want to feel like you poured gas on my face and lit a match. After my skin finished melting I tried to relax.

The barber pulls out a straight razor from a murky jar of Marvicide and rinses it off under the sink. He started stropping the razor and I asked him what type of soap he used. "None, I have a hot lather machine." OK, cool. I turn to look at it and it's one of those 20 dollar Conair hot lather tubes that you can get at Wal-Mart. (Or used to be able to get, I don't know if they still manufacture it or not.)

He takes the towels off my face and starts lathering me up. I smell the familiar scent of Barbasol Aloe which causes my face to break out like crazy. "Hey, you got any other cream? This kind gives me a rash." He claims it isn't Barbasol Aloe but Gillette Foamy. Whatever.

He starts slapping the lather on my face like I owed him money. He puts one of the hot wet towels on my chest, which causes a big wet puddle to form on my shirt. He starts shaving near my sideburns but he's not stretching my skin at all. I hear him scraping away at my cheeks and jaw.

Then he gets to my neck. "Hey, please don't shave my neck north to south. My hair grows really strange there. Start at my adam's apple and head north." He tells me how he's mapped my beard and knows how to shave me without causing any irritation. Why shouldn't I trust him? I mean, he's a professional and all and I'm just a dumb 20 year old who shaves himself everyday with a straight razor and knows what his skin can take or can't take, right?

The whole time the blade is just tugging and skipping over my face. I asked him if he needed to strop the razor again. Nope. Tug, tug, skip, cut, nick, scrape, skip, tug. My God, this is downright painful. By the time he's done, he's basically done a one pass blade buff all over my face in a zillion different directions.

He towels my face off and I know I'm in for trouble because the white towel had a few dark red spots on it. He slaps some Lustray Bay Rum on me and raises the chair. He removes the bib-thing off my torso and instead of offering me a mirror, he starts rubbing my shoulders. I'm freaking out now. I was the only person in there. Why was this old man rubbing my neck and shoulders? And then, it's all over.

He hands me a mirror and I look at his handiwork. My face is beet red, with a bunch of ingrown hairs and a thick rash all over my neck. He sliced off part of a mole under my earlobe (which is alright I guess, since it never grew back) and my upper lip is bleeding, along with half a dozen other weepers. I paid the man and left and had to wait about a week before I could shave again. Then I had to wait yet another week because my face was still in pretty bad shape after that follow-up shave. In fact, I think I still have scars.

Never, ever ever again.
I literally LOL'd the whole way through reading this. Sorry it was at your face and neck's expense. [emoji23]

Never, ever ever again.

I won't even give it a "once." In the eight years I've been perusing posts on this great site, bad barbershop visits really stand out as a common theme.

Nobody goes near my face with a razor but me. Absolutely nobody. A life rule that anyone here is free to borrow.

Don

Yikes, those are some horror stories. I've never had a shave at a barbershop, and I don't think I will (at least here).

I'm visiting Italy next Spring and was planning on trying it there. Hopefully it will be a good experience.

Never, ever ever again.

Why didn't you just tell him to stop, pay the man and leave.

I feel fortunate. My local barbershop is run by a fellow from Uzbekistan and staffed by other Russian speakers.
I've been treated to gifts of shaves there twice. The same woman has done it both times -- and the results (with shavette and assorted products) have been a pleasure.

i was just in the AoS last week and saw that they do SR shaves, and was going to splurge and get one in the near future but after reading all of these horror stories I think I need to re-think that idea.

I've heard AoS does a decent job, but I'm not too sure. Like I said in my original post, I should have known better when I saw the can of shave cream on the counter and the ten dollar price tag. Oh well.

Top Bottom