What's new

Found This In My Pool Today!

My wife snagged this cool tarantula out of the pool today. It was still alive so we dried her out for awhile and released her back into the wild near my house. Only the second one I have seen while living here. Pretty sketchy looking but interesting nonetheless. I also saw my first tarantula hawk yesterday head into a burrow in my backyard. Coincidence? Tarantula Hawks are even sketchier. Humming bird sized wasps. I read that they have the second most painful sting in the world. The bullet ant is king. Ugh. Luckily, the same article stated they were not aggressive.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 190
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
That's a mature male tarantula of the genus Aphonopelma. Pretty good chance he's an Aphonopelma eutylenum (California ebony tarantula). Male's leave their burrows after maturing and spend the rest of their lives (just the rest of this year) looking for a female to mate with. If he survives that encounter, he'll go on trying to mate with as many females as he can. Glad you released him.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Males leave their burrows after maturing and spend the rest of their lives looking for a female to mate with. If he survives that encounter, he'll go on trying to mate with as many females as he can.

Sounds like everyone I ever met.

As the old commercial went, "Double your pleasure, double your fun."

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom