What's new

Lapping Day

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I was a bit negligent on lapping my La Veinette. Here's what it looked like after a year with no lapping.
Appearently I'm a little heavy on the heel...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 281
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 277
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 278
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 276

David

No, I didn't measure it before lapping. Wish I had now.
No worries. Sorry you had a bad week.

Not that Long at all. Some stones perform the same, some require a small break in to recondition the surface before they are back to peak shape. Some get too smooth and need to be roughed up with a slurry stone. It all depends on the stone.

I usually lap all stones after 3-4 razors, I have a well worn Atoma plate that cleans them up is a few swipes.

Checked a few of my stones this morning. Wow! My Chosera 1k and both coticules were way over due for lapping. Thanks for the reminder, guys!

Question (hopefully not too off topic, but since Alfredo brought up the Atoma)... Is there a single Atoma plate that could be used as both a lapper and a bevel setter? If so, what grit would do the job?

David

The 1200 would be your best bet, but I believe I've read where they don't recommend lapping with the 1200. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
I have a 1200 and lap with it almost daily and it's quite worn, but I've been hard on it and have used it many times on hard naturals so I expect to see some wear.
What kind of stones will you be lapping?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The Atoma 1200 works fine for maintenance lapping. It doesn't have the horsepower for severely dished hones or Arkansas. I'd get the 1200, then as resouces allow, get the 400 or 600 replacement part which is just the diamonds and substrate (no aluminum plate) from toolsfromJapan.com and stick it to the back of the 1200. Voilà, a doble sided Atoma at a discount.

Cheers, Steve

As of right now, naniwa superstones. Thanks for the input.

The 1200 would be your best bet, but I believe I've read where they don't recommend lapping with the 1200. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
I have a 1200 and lap with it almost daily and it's quite worn, but I've been hard on it and have used it many times on hard naturals so I expect to see some wear.
What kind of stones will you be lapping?

Excellent, thanks. Not much wear on the naniwas right now since they've barely been used.... With the exception of the 1k and 5k, which I started using for kitchen knives.

The Atoma 1200 works fine for maintenance lapping. It doesn't have the horsepower for severely dished hones or Arkansas. I'd get the 1200, then as resouces allow, get the 400 or 600 replacement part which is just the diamonds and substrate (no aluminum plate) from toolsfromJapan.com and stick it to the back of the 1200. Voilà, a doble sided Atoma at a discount.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom