What's new

4th Brush Recommendation ?

Need a recommendation for a 4th brush for my rotation.

Been wet shaving for about a year. I always Face Lather. I usually change blades after 4 shaves. I like to rotate brushes for some variety and to keep count for my blade replacement.

I prefer a softer brush. Another Silvertip preferably or maybe another Synthetic. Boar is not an option. I am looking for a brush with a 22mm to 24mm knot. Budget is $ 120 but I could be just as happy for less than $ 60.

Currently, I have 3 brushes I like and 2 that I don't.

Brushes I like:
* Plisson for L'Occitane: no scrub, soft tips, splays perfectly, easy to load, releases tons of lather.
* Whipped Dog Synthetic 24mm: minimal scrub, soft tips, a little backbone, splays well, easy to load, releases plenty of lather.
* Whipped Dog Silvertip 24mm x 52mm: little scrub, soft tips, a little backbone, splays well. easy to load. releases a good lather.

Brushes I don't like:
* Whipped Dog High Mountain 24 x 52mm: little scrub, soft tips, tons of backbone, does not splay well. requires a ton of product, rarely releases enough lather for multiple passes. Sheds hairs -- maybe because I am taking 2x as long to load it. Maybe I should have gotten the standard 57mm height.
* Art of Shaving Pure Badger: Gifted to me as part of the Full Size kit. Scrubby like a wire brush, tips scissored off, floppy backbone requires pinching to load, splays well, releases a good lather.

What one brush would you suggest?

Last edited:
Semogue 620. Great face lathering brush. Palm/bowl large it for 4-5 test lathers. After 10 uses, it's got backbone but quite mild. It's cheap too!

Thanks for the recommendation. I edited my original post to add "Boar is not an option." Do you have any other suggestions?

Don't count out boar. A 610, 620 or SOC could be right up your alley and you could get all three under your budget. The Semogues get nice and soft when broken in, yet offer great scrub and backbone.

Seems to me like you are planning on keeping a four horse stable (at least for a while that is). All three of those are great everyday brushes, so perhaps you should consider buying a brush that would give your collection some versatility...

First thing that comes to my mind might be a Kent Infinity Silvertex, which is smaller synthetic that would double as a travel or home brush. Or perhaps you might find a vintage brush handle you like and place a new knot in it. I'm looking at putting a WD synthetic in my grandfathers handle.

I know these don't exactly fit your parameters, but would another 24mm badger or synthetic really be that exciting? I'd go for some variety!

It took about 2 years and 20-something brushes for me to really find what I was looking for. If it's badger, I'd recommend not getting caught up in the "it has to be silvertip" thing. My TGN Finest is my favorite brush. Soft tips, no scritch, plenty of backbone, and a great face feel. I like it better than my Duke 3 in Best, Rooney 3/1 Super silvertip, TGN Silvertip Grade A, or my 3 WD silvertips.

And I'll echo what @Yellowv said as far as not ruling out boar. In addition to the ones he mentioned, the Omega Pro 49, and the Omega B&B boar are brushes that might also deserve some consideration.

If this helps: I'm not necessarily a strictly badger guy or a strictly boar guy. Best way to describe my preferences is that I'm a badger guy who can appreciate a really good boar.

I agree with the TGN finest 2 band as well. It's also my favorite knot. Outstanding for the price. If you can wait a bit I recommend getting on the Wolf Whiskers wait list on August 15th. It will probably a month or so wait but it's well worth it. You can get a custom from him with a TGN knot for under $90 and it will be a heck of a brush.

Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking Silvertip because I prefer a softer brush. I really like the Plisson and I really like my WD Silvertip. I don't really want anything scrubby.

my vote goes to the vintageblades brand brush, a 40$ brush and i prefer it to all the brushes ive tried. like you im a face latherer and i absolutely love this thing. good backbone, pretty soft, releases lather pretty well.

if i dropped it tomorrow and broke it, i would be crying in a fetal position til another came. thats how much i love this thing.

Top Bottom