What's new

The Red Tip, does it work for you?

Just shaved with my 58 Red Tip tonight for the first time in a month and I am stunned at just how effective and smooth this razor shaves. I remember when I first got it it was not a favorite razor, it seemed to be intent on cutting me up, but it was in fact only my poor technique. Later the Red Tip became a part of my daily rotation, where it remains to this day, and based on tonight's shave it ought to be used a bit more often. Don't get me wrong, I love my NEW razors and they still get the Lions share of daily use, but the Red Tip is a great shaver as well.

it has nice balance and weight, is easy to maneuver, and when used in the shallow orientation, gives an excellent and smooth shave. I have two areas that are always troublesome to get BBS smooth without a good bit of finesse. But when using the Red Tip those areas shave much easier. I don't know why this is the case, but I suspect it is the shape of the head and the slightly thicker top cap, that hits these spots just right and cuts the whiskers closer for some reason.

I may bump this razor up in the rotation and use it a bit more often, I know it will dominate the next few days shaving due to the good results of tonight's shave. Anyone else enjoy the Red Tip?

here are a couple of old pics of my Red Tip;
Feel free to post pics of your Red Tip as well.
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

It is definitely one of my favorites. I have 2 of them, they are probably used more often than any others in my collection. Very comfortable and very efficient in my opinion.

Far from my favorite razor. I really don't care for any of the SS versions. Favorite razors are my R-41, Fatip, early GEM SEs, even my DE89lbl all give me better, easier shaves than the SS's. Sorry.

My Red Tip gives a super close shave. I find though that it (like my fat boys and slims) tend to be 'angle of attack sensitive so it keeps me me honest regarding 'no pressure' methodology. I use it in regular rotation.

The 56' Red Tip that I have was the very first razor that I ever used, and the one razor over the years that I have used the most.
Handed down to me from my Dad around 1966.
The same razor I used this morning, and it still provides fine shaves, especially with a Feather blade.

They are great. I love mine. The key is pressure and angle. It is important to just let the razor do the work and not use too much pressure.

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have a small herd of Red Tips and one is always in my rotation. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '57 Red Tip and enjoy it very much. Just seems to fit my hand well, and shaves like a champ. Nice that you have the case with it.

Dionesius3; The Gillette Red Tip Super Speed is my favorite of the early Super Speed Razors. I have a first Year 1955 that I use in rotation with a 1949 Super Speed, a 1951 Super Speed, and a 1954 Flare Tip Super Speed. I would absolutely rank it number one of the four, with the 1954 Flare Tip a close second. Sentimentality plays a part too, as this is my birthday razor, as well as my father shaved with a 1956- I restored it and my keen interests in the early Super Speed razors began with that restoration. I find it to have a nice heft, and the larger diameter makes it easier to control. I certainly am glad that you too enjoy yours as much as I do! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 Red Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code A2 Burgundy Case with Ten Blade Blue Blade Dis.jp $Gillette 1955 Red Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code A2 Burgundy Case with Ten Blade Blue Blade Dis.jp

I have two 56 red tips. While I don't find them any more aggressive than a standard super speed - my red tips are my favorites. I love the weight and they just seem pretty perfect to me in all aspects.

I have a US & made in England. The English one seems a touch more aggressive to me.
Barely any difference in shave between the US red tip & the "mild" DE89.

Top Bottom