What's new

shaving at the gym

I searched for a while but I can't find this posted here. Because of my schedule, I have to work out before work. I joined a new gym and it's away from my house, so I'll have to shave there after working out, then straight to work. I'm not sure what to do about a brush. I have a travel tube for brushes but I'm afraid it'll start to mildew after a while because it's not drying.

Any suggestions or advice?

I got some Bigelow cream in a tube that I can sort of lather with my hands in case I can't find something to work.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, you could go "brushless", or just get a selection of brushes and alternate daily, allowing them to dry out in between. (I really like turnback brushes for this ... I have a nice Kent one with a low grade of badger that has nice backbone and scritch ... but any brush can do in a pinch.)

I also workout before work, but I shave before I go to the gym then shower and go to work. Maybe that could work for you? Avoid the need to carry shaving gear along with your shower gear/uniform.

A couple cheap Omegas, like the 10066, and rotate them daily so they can dry out. A ventilated travel tube, prescription bottle with lots of holes, would also help. If you gym back has an outer mesh pocket keep the brush there during the day.

Tha ks for the advice. I have a couple cheap omegas, so I think I'll rotate them out in the travel tubes. I also have a small double walled bowl for a travel scuttle, so that should suffice as well.

I don't do this often because I straight shave and it's not worth the attention/questions in the locker room. When I have, I just use a cheap brush (Omega Mighty Midget) and through it in shave kit uncovered after drying all excess water off. It seems to do the trick just fine for me.

A synthetic might be better for you for gym use. They tend to dry faster. Can you shave the night before? I used to do that on AD.

+1. If I were in your situation, I would pick up one of those cheap synthetics I keep hearing good things about.

Any chance you can sneak the brush out of your gym bag during the day so it can dry a bit? I would be a little leery, hygiene-wise, about keeping ANY damp brush in a gym bag or enclosed space for an extended period.

Years ago I would shave at the gym. Back then I had three brushes. I would use one brush, put it on top of my gym clothing in the bag, and store the bag in the car. When I reached the train station I would take the brush out and leave it on the back seat of the car. The next day I would use a different brush and do the same thing.

Today I would use a synthetic brush. You can dry them with a towel and then use a hair dryer set on cool or warm and finish drying it and then store it away immediately.

I actually never have a problem in my gym/travel kit. I keep a small badger brush in it, and I shake it out well after use. Even if my kit is sealed up, the brush is still dry the next time I use it.

When I was shaving at the gym, I would use my cheap VDH boar brush. When I got to my office at the start of the day, I'd pull the brush out of my dopp kit and set it on a shelf, inconspicuously, where it had the chance to dry out during the day.

Because it was cheap I didn't worry about keeping it in a bottle or tube or anything like that.

And I also adopted shaving sticks for the gym and travel use. Arko is a great way to get an awesome shave when you're not at home

brushless or simple brush. When you lose it, you will be glad. shake it out, let it dry on your desk

+1. In this situation or when traveling, I have tended to use Pacific Shave Oil then my old cart. Functional but not fun!

I think guys WAY overestimate how fussy their precious shave gear is.

I used to straight shave at the gym all the time. Same setup as always: straight, strop, shave soap, badger brush. Just use it, shake it out, put it away and be on your way. If you want to really baby your brush, then yeah, pull it out of your bag and let it dry on your desk or something (I never bothered to do that).

You think our great grandads babied their brushes?

I also workout before work, but I shave before I go to the gym then shower and go to work. Maybe that could work for you? Avoid the need to carry shaving gear along with your shower gear/uniform.

+1. Much better solution IMO.

I prefer to take my time and use my excellent shaving gear. Too much trouble to lug it all to the gym (where I might lose stuff!)

Top Bottom