What's new

How does your neck/jawline feel after a shave?

I notice that my neck/jawline area always feels a bit more scratchy than my cheeks after a shave. I assume this is because you cannot shave across the grain on your neck. Anyone else notice this or am I doing something wrong?

More scratchy as in remaining stubble? Yes, I only go with the grain on my neck. Or irritation? then No.

I have had no problems even going against the grain on my neck since I started shaving with cold water. The only place I don't go against the grain is my upper lip (I don't need to). I definitely recommend trying cold water, I find the whiskers are stiffer and easier to cut. Also my skin might be tighter due to blood vessels close to the skin contracting a little. I do miss the warm brush a bit but I certainly don't miss the irritation!

Once I got the technique down I no longer had problems with those areas. Now I can go XTG or ATG without problem. That being said, those areas are always "touchier" than the rest of my face.

Usually either scratchy or bumpy. My one remaining big hurdle (approx. 2 years in) is how to achieve a smooth shave on my jawline without getting ingrown hairs.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to consciously focus on this issue whenever I'm shaving. Without working on it intentionally, I shouldn't expect it to improve.

I have never had a problem going XTG on my neck because the grain runs from my chin towards my shoulders. Thus, XTG is basically NS and SN. ATG is from the shoulder towards the chin, and is a little more difficult, but doable with a little skin stretching. I agree with Jim, though, that it depends on the razor and blade. Because I use Injector razors almost exclusively, it has never been much of a problem to comfortably shave anywhere on my face.

I've noticed that I always have to touch up areas on my neck even after going wtg, xtg, and atg. I think it has to do with the fact that the hair on my neck grows in every direction in different spots

Once I learnt my grain it was no problem. I realised however that I need a more aggressive razor on my chin and neck than on my face, so when I shave that area I dial my Slim up from 5 to 7, works a treat!

I go XTG on my neck and it's still not as smooth as my cheeks. Going ATG results in irritation for me so I don't bother with it anymore. It all depends on how sensitive your skin is once you get your technique down.

My hair on my neck grows from the e center out and down and center our and up on the bottom inch or so. I found a way to get it DFS, but unless I touchups with a single blade Bic sensitive disposable, it's never BBS.
My jawline has gotten alot of improvement lately. I started kind of bullfrog ginger and it's worked great.
I lean my head a bit to the side I'm shaving and this kind of bunches the skin up so that it's flatter and I'm not shaving around my jaw bone. I do the same for the other side.
Ymmv b it it's worked for me!!!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I shave every direction on all parts of my face with no real problem. I do find the neck to be a bit tougher to get his, but it is definitely doable

I have no problem in that area; though as others have mentioned, some areas are more sensitive than others.

I use a two pass shave, but then finish with touch ups, usually around the corners of my jaw

Half of my neck hair goes NS, and the other half EW... That is in the center. It gets more complicated on the sides of the neck. I shave at night and take my time, and I do three passes. What I found reduces the neck irritation, more than angle of attack (since there is no perfect angle for me) is the length of the stroke. I developed a tendency to use longer strokes on my neck because it is more difficult. I shortened the stroke back to match what I was doing on my face, and VOILA... reduced irritation.
It's my face with my hair, so you may not get similar results, but I suggest you try short (1 in max.) strokes when XTG or ATG. In my case I believe it helps me control the blade's cutting edge and prevents pressure variation across a round surface.

Top Bottom