What's new

4711 Eau de Cologne

The ingredients are very different. The EdC is just basically alcohol, water, & fragrance. The AS has other stuff for your skin.

AFTERSHAVE:
Alcohol, Water, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Limonene, Benzophenone-3, Peg-6, Caprylic/CapricGlycerides, Linalool, Peg-40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citral, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronella, CI 19140(Blue #1), CI 60730(Violet #2) CI 19140(Yellow #5)

COLOGNE:
Alcohol, Water(Aqua), Fragrance(Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Linalool, Citral, Hydroxycitronella, Geranoil, Citronellol

I've been chained by a restraint, but I have been itching to get in on this conversation. The second my restraint ended, I ordered 4711 Aftershave. I've uses plain 4711 cologne as an AS splash by itself for years, so I was very curious to try their aftershave.

Two shaves in:

1. The aroma is very similar, but not identical to the cologne. More ingredients.
2. Nice bite, which I like. But the AS is also soothing, and my face feels good afterwards.
3. The AS aroma lasts longer, 10-20 minutes perhaps.

I like the 4711 aftershave fine, but I wonder if I'll re-order. I'm still a big fan of good old 4711 cologne, and I might just stick to that alone.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Recently picked up (what seems like) a gallon of the 4711 EdC.

Love it! and it fades like the bugle notes in "Taps."

Protip: if you're in Miami, latin grocery stores (Sedanos, Navarro, etc.) sell a knockoff called Agua de Colonia 2000 (or 8000. been a while).

It smells the same, fades the same.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
4711 is an oldie. Actually I always looked at it as a 'cheap a nasty' and it was popularised as a unisex 'cologne' especially in the 70's.

Yeah I have to say it holds fond memories and yes it is a classic scent . That scent I agree was a driver for the D.R Harris Arlington scent to be sure. 4711 to me is the classic 'cologne' scent.

4711 was just a nice 'refresher' at what used to be (and I still assume) to be a reasonable price but it is nothing special.
People used to love using this stuff in hot weather to freshen up on the go or after a shower in humid weather.

4711 is a copy of the original Koln (Cologne) product made by Farina.

After 70+ years of law-suits they had to change their name, and choose the street address 4711 for the product name.

farina still produces nice quality fragrances.

4711 is one of my favorites! I like the smell and it's inepensive. Back when I had money and could travel, I went to their store in Cologne Germany and saw their cologne water fountain. It was pretty cool. Been dying to try their aftershave.....I think I know what my next purchase will be ...... when I run out of the stuff I already have.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I added a few drops of glycerin and have been using it as an after shave ... works!

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom