What's new

Protect your home wifi network

The *only* way to protect your wireless traffic is by making sure the traffic is encrypted and hard to crack, meaning, again:
1) Turn off WPS (it renders encryption useless)
2) use WPA2 encryption
3) use LONG passwords that cannot be crack by using dictionaries.

+1. SSID and MAC filtering make no difference at all. The above is the only defense.

Here's an example of a Faraday Suit.
Basically the idea is an enclosure to keep energy from entering or exiting.

In the case of this audition, it's to keep high voltage out.

http://youtu.be/2BhKIpf2oH0

In the case of a Faraday Wallet, it's to keep RF in. I haven't looked through many of these, but saw a comment that a Faraday Wallet wouldn't really be effective if it wasn't grounded.

http://www.google.com/search?q=faraday+cage+wallet

A couple of corrections on this. A Faraday cage does not need to be grounded to function. A Faraday cage works because it is conductive, and thus any static charge applied to it can move around freely within that conductor. The charged particles repel each other, and very quickly disperse into a field balancing arrangement over the inside and outside surface of the cage. This makes it difficult for a voltage difference to exist across that surface and thus prevents induced current and voltages within the cage. Now, you can ground a Faraday cage, and that can help in other ways, as you bleed off charge to ground. But it's not strictly required.

On wallet shields, they don't keep RF "in". There is no RF emanating from an RFID chip. They are passive devices that get interrogated by an external RF source. That RF source temporarily powers the device which either actively sends out an RF signal of its own, or (much more commonly) just reflects back RF energy in a way that is uniquely detectable.

The astute reader will note that RF energy is not really a static charge, but the Faraday cage still works in most cases, but just not quite as well. With a strong enough changing field you will get some current/voltage inside the cage, but it's greatly attenuated. Grounding helps if the field is very strong, and/or persistent.

Last edited:
They will make a difference as it adds more layers of security, a hacker will go for the easier targets first unless they are specifically targeting you. A long password is of course the best defense

+1. SSID and MAC filtering make no difference at all. The above is the only defense.

Turn off ssid broadcast and add mac address filtering, this will add greatly to wifi security

Turning off SSID broadcast is not a layer of anything let alone security, just an annoyance for your legit users.

The tools used for network breaking don't care about the network SSID - at all.

If you are at a point where MAC filtering makes a difference, it means the network password has been cracked.
Back to square one: get the encryption solid - all the rest is really fluff, like putting speed bumps inside your home hoping that an intruder trips on them.

your problem with internet dropping out can be that everyone is on the same wifi channel.
I live in a duplex and i have neighbors on every side of me, there is about 11 routers that my computer can pick up. Majority of people are using channel 1 and 6. So I have mine set to channel 11, last time I checked I think 2 people used that channel. If you got a baby monitor or cordless phone they can mess up older routers.

Mac filtering and SSID hiding will only make it harder for you to connect legit devices to your network.

Oh and if your using your cable company modem or routers, then save the rental fee and buy your own. One quick call to the cable company and they will "authorize" or "provision" your own modem to work on their network, ours saves us $75 a year in rental fee.

The dropping out was actually related to the intrusion attempts.
The way the attack works is that the initial handshake between the client and router needs to be intercepted, and then password cracking is applied on it.
An attacker can wait until a new client tries to connect but it takes time. Instead, the attacker sends a fake de-authentication packet to all of the clients on behalf of the router. A de-authentication packet is a not encrypted (a big flaw in the design of wifi protocols), so anyone can pose as the router send it. That packet tells the clients that the router is shutting down, the clients disconnect (they just do, no way to turn it off on standard hardware) and then try to reconnect, which is convenient for an attacker that is waiting to intercept that handshake.

If your password is strong, the decryption attemp would fail and the attacker will move on to a different target. If it is weak, the attacker will come back again and again.

A microwave seems like a better solution to the credit card problem than a "faraday wallet".

Either that or a hole punch applied through the circuit board.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A microwave seems like a better solution to the credit card problem than a "faraday wallet".

How do you find out where the circuit board is on a credit card?

I had a problem with my cellphone causing interference with unshielded audio systems. I wrapped the cellphone in foil, preventing it from pinging the network and receiving calls, no more interference.

Top Bottom