What's new

Question about witch hazel

I picked up some pure witch hazel at the drug store to use in my after shave routine and it has helped tremendously my question is there any point in using it between shaves or am I just wasting it?

Splash it on every day. No harm in it. If you want to really clean your skin, put some WH on a cotton ball and clean your face with that.

The results can be surprising!

Use it. Use it everywhere. Use it often. WH is good for lots of things, not just as an aftershave.

It will heal up small cuts and burns. It can reduce the sting of an insect bite. Put it on after you get sunburned. It will tighten up the crow's feet and bags around your eyes. It will rejuvenate your feet after a long hard day's work.

During the winter, I put an ounce of WH in a metal cup and set it on top of the baseboard heater. It evaporates overnight and fills the room with vapors that help me to breathe easier and relieve the symptoms of colds and flues.

There are hundreds of more uses, and you'll get hundreds more suggestions.

My son's ROTC special teams group brings it along as part of a shoe polishing kit. I'm not sure how they use it but there you go.

I actually have a bottle that add a bunch of menthol crystals to, a dash of essential oil (sometimes eucalyptus and lavender or other) and a dribble of glycerin. I use this mixture anytime and anywhere I am hot, itchy or irritated. My very young daughter will ask for me to put it on her dry skin or allergy flare ups because it cools and seems to help. I made a batch with citronella oil and put it in a spray bottle to go hiking and it was the best idea I ever had. We sprayed throughout for general comfort but it also helped with some minor trail first aid as well.

Use it. Use it everywhere. Use it often. WH is good for lots of things, not just as an aftershave.

It will heal up small cuts and burns. It can reduce the sting of an insect bite. Put it on after you get sunburned. It will tighten up the crow's feet and bags around your eyes. It will rejuvenate your feet after a long hard day's work.

During the winter, I put an ounce of WH in a metal cup and set it on top of the baseboard heater. It evaporates overnight and fills the room with vapors that help me to breathe easier and relieve the symptoms of colds and flues.

+1 Witch Hazel is a daily must have for me as well.
#1 Favorite is Humphrey's WH
#2 is Thayers Original
Both great products.

Is there any chains in the US that sell thayers or Humphreys

GNC, Central Market, several health-oriented stores will sell Thayers witch hazel.

As for me, I shave at night and I always use witch hazel as part of my post-shave routine. In the morning, I will also splash more on my face to "wake it up". I do add a few drops of peppermint oil to my witch hazel as I find it invigorating.

Thanks for the tip on gnc I happened to be right by one scored me some thayers cucumber WH now just gotta get home and shave

I'm sure this has been discussed as well but I am curious about one thing...let's say you wanted to use some WH in addition to aftershave splash (for fragrance or whatever)...I am assuming you would apply the WH first, let it absorb, then do the splash? Granted I'm sure you could do it either way but I'm thinking that makes the most logical sense. Just asking since I have never used WH before but am interested in buying a bottle.

Whoa.

I'm sure this has been discussed as well but I am curious about one thing...let's say you wanted to use some WH in addition to aftershave splash (for fragrance or whatever)...I am assuming you would apply the WH first, let it absorb, then do the splash? Granted I'm sure you could do it either way but I'm thinking that makes the most logical sense. Just asking since I have never used WH before but am interested in buying a bottle.

I always use both, with the WH coming first.

I've been happy with Dickinson's, which doesn't have as strong a smell as generic. The Thayer's is nice, especially with the aloe vera in it, but it is way overpriced and I don't need a scented WH when I'm going to use an aftershave anyway.

That's been my routine for years. Splash on WH (Dickinson's), let it air dry while I'm cleaning up, then splash on the AS. If I shave late at night, I don't even bother with AS. Dickinson's has alcohol and works as an aftershave. Any WH odor disappears when it dries.

All I use post shave in the hot weather is WH. For some reason I don't care for strong smelling AS's in this heat, so WH does the trick without adding anything I don't want.

WH is an absolutely wonderful product. Great medicinal properties. I use it post shave...and sometimes I will just slap a little on just because it feels good on my skin.

I use generic drugstore Witch Hazel after every shave. I keep it in the refrigerator.

After splashing it on liberally, I clean up my shaving stuff, and then apply aftershave of choice.

Drugstore WH poured into a 2 ounce perfume atomizer type bottle; gets it on my face after the Alum without wasting it or dousing the sink.

Top Bottom