What's new

Question about witch hazel

Drugstore WH poured into a 2 ounce perfume atomizer type bottle; gets it on my face after the Alum without wasting it or dousing the sink.

I do that with the Thayers alcohol-free witch hazel, but I keep the little atomizer in the refrigerator. Recently, I got a bottle of Stirling's witch hazel and aloe in the MITA scent (which has menthol) and have done the same thing with that -- the combo of cold temp and menthol feels great, especially this time of year.

Thayers has several different scented WH: Rose, Lavender, peach, cucumber, aloe, lemon...I enjoy the variety. Rose and lavender are favourites of mine.

Thayers has several different scented WH: Rose, Lavender, peach, cucumber, aloe, lemon...I enjoy the variety. Rose and lavender are favourites of mine.
Thayers is the best of the best when it comes to WH. Expensive, but worth it. And their scented versions do not contain any alcohol, just a touch of aloe.

The other major brand is Dickinson's ... and they are the OEM for all the generic and house-brand WH that you see in supermarkets. Buy a bottle of genuine Dickinson's for the label and the squirt dispenser, and then refill it with generic WH when you run out.

Great idea on the perfume bottle I've been using a wash cloth the bottle will be less wasteful

I quit using alum and now use witch hazel, usually blended with quality after shave balm.
Right now I am using Thayer's and for the most part find it worth the money.

Thayers is nice, but it is a somewhat different product from "true" witch hazel (Dickinson's or drugstore generic), which contains 14% alcohol. Most varieties of Thayers are alcohol free.

Depending on your skin type one may work better than the other as a postshave splash. If you have oily skin, I would suggest the generic stuff.

Sometimes I use only Thayer's as an aftershave, and typically one of the scented varieties; rose petals after rose soap or cream, etc.

I do that with the Thayers alcohol-free witch hazel, but I keep the little atomizer in the refrigerator. Recently, I got a bottle of Stirling's witch hazel and aloe in the MITA scent (which has menthol) and have done the same thing with that -- the combo of cold temp and menthol feels great, especially this time of year.

Now that does sound delightful.... I'll have to pick up some and chill it... thanks for the idea.
:thumbup1:

Thayers is the best of the best when it comes to WH. Expensive, but worth it. And their scented versions do not contain any alcohol, just a touch of aloe.

The other major brand is Dickinson's ... and they are the OEM for all the generic and house-brand WH that you see in supermarkets. Buy a bottle of genuine Dickinson's for the label and the squirt dispenser, and then refill it with generic WH when you run out.

I have wondered about that. The generic WH I have tried does not smell the same as Dickinson's to me. The price is low enough that I don't really worry about generic v brand name issues and I do like the squirt dispenser top on Dickenson's.

Top Bottom