What's new

New to DE shaving and loving every stroke.

I have been using Harry's razors with cheap face goops for awhile and it's been the best shaving experience I've ever had with a multi blade cartridge razor. Then recently I saw a cheap Van Der Hagen shaving kit at Walgreen's and decided to give it a go. The kit came with a bowl, a puck of shaving soap, and a cheap boar bristle brush. After a little work on my technique my shaving experience got even better. Then I saw a puck of Williams at WinCo and tried that. The lather I got was about the same as I got with the VDH. Then I read here on B&B how I could grate them down and mix them. I tried that and started to get a better lather. Then I saw a new shave cream at Bath and Body Works called CO Bigelow. I remembered reading how this was the same as Proraso and using it with soap made an amazing lather so I got a three tubes (they had a buy two get one deal). I've developed my own technique where I put the cream on my brush first then swirl it around on the soap. Works pretty good. My recommendation is if you insist on using cartridge razors then you should dump Gillette, Schick, and Dollar Shave Club. Blades are only about $1.56 each. Then I made an even bigger break through.

Walking through my local mall I saw a new Art of Shaving store had opened. I've been researching DE razors but don't like buying new things online without first trying them. As the only DE razors in stores around here are crappy butterfly jobs I wasn't having any luck "window shopping" razors. This store carried only Muhle brand razors and I found one that felt good in my hand and looked nice too. I know I probably could have found it cheaper online but I can't feel those in my hand so I forked over $50 and together with my CO Bigelow/shave soap concoction it's been pure heaven on my face. I'll keep my current stock of Harry's razors around for traveling but other than that no cartridge or gel/foam will ever touch my face again.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That's awesome. I am newly converted myself. You're in the right place. Happy Shaves!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Thanks for sharing - I do the same with my C.O. Bigelow. Although, I do use it alone from time to time; by just adding a dollop those small tubes have ton of shaves in them.

By the way, my start to WS was an Art of Shaving valentine's day gift from my wife. Little did she know what that starter kit would lead to... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom