What's new

KowaBunga Chili

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This recipe is not my usual modus operandi. I made this chili thinking it would be good for a cook-off, just like the pros. I've got one coming up in October. The ingredients make this (for me) way too salty. However, I'm more sensitive to salt because my mother did not use much in her cooking. That being said, I am sure this we appeal to many because of it's simplicity. My review is that it is a strong, bold, salty, chili powder and beef powerhouse.

View attachment 590949

CowaBunbga Chili

Ingredients:

2 pounds coarsely ground chuck (chili grind)
1 eight once can of tomato sauce
1 16 oz can of beef broth
1-3 jalapenos scored vertically
3 tablespoons of dark chili powder. Ancho works great here
3 tablespoons of mild or light chili powder. New Mexico is good
2 tablespoons of granulated onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
1 beef broth cube
1 chicken broth cube
2 teaspoons of granulated garlic
1 tablespoon of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
1 package of Cilantro-tomato Sazon Goya seasoning

Instructions:

Heat chili pot over medium heat and brown the meat until gray. Remove any grease. Add tomato sauce, beef broth and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Add jalapenos. Cook for 30 minutes adding more chicken stock if needed.

Remove jalapenos

1st dump:
Add 1-1/2 tablespoons dark chili powder, 1-1/2 tablespoons of light chili powder, onion powder, cayenne, beef and chicken cubes. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

2nd dump:
Add remaining chili powders, garlic, cumin, paprika, white pepper, Sazon Goya pack and chicken stock if it becomes to thick. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
smoking the meat on the bbq first and the chilies (if I'm right give the sauce to Chris above)

Smoking the ground beef gets the prize.

So much for a long and illustrious thread. :lol:

Your wish is my command. Chris (BubblesTGB) gets the sauce.

Chris (BubblesTGB) take your pick:

$IMG_1100.jpg$IMG_1102.jpg

Thanks for being a sport Chris (cleanshave) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Ahhhhh. I was going to guess the meat first but I thought it was too obvious. Chris, you are a gentleman. I wouldn't know what to pick. I don't have the heat tolerance that you pepper heads have :tongue_sm I am honored that you deferred. As such, I would ask you fine gentleman to pick for me. I am always willing to try new things and if you have suggestions to build up my tolerance, I am all ears....errr tongue. Course there is the chance that the BBQ sauces aren't spicy but I kind of doubt that with you guys.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ahhhhh. I was going to guess the meat first but I thought it was too obvious. Chris, you are a gentleman. I wouldn't know what to pick. I don't have the heat tolerance that you pepper heads have :tongue_sm I am honored that you deferred. As such, I would ask you fine gentleman to pick for me. I am always willing to try new things and if you have suggestions to build up my tolerance, I am all ears....errr tongue. Course there is the chance that the BBQ sauces aren't spicy but I kind of doubt that with you guys.

Chris, none of these are spicy. The sauces are thin and may not be what you are used to. I've tried all three. I like to use the Vinegar sauce for "saucing" while ribs are being smoked. The Vinegar one is the thinnest of the three. Flavor wise I have to go with the Texas style sauce....I think you would like it the most. Of course YBBQSTMV.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

All good Chris, I've had enough of Aarons generosity to last me a life time. Even NZ Customs like his packages. :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In the mod forum, we occasionally serve a different kind of chili. :001_rolle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Those are some very interesting looking bottled sauces. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Top Bottom