What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

$image.jpg

Squirrels are nasty little spuds. Here's an example of what they can do with their razor like teeth...gotta be as tough as O1.
Quite a few of the squirrel population here have been introduced to the "Squirrel Relocation Project", administered by a Benjamin Discovery.
Seems to be working pretty well.....
$image.jpg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I kinda figure they're all welcome to the party.... :w00t:

The tray feeders and patio blocks at the base of the hanging feeders let the bigger birds, squirrels, and chipmunks enjoy themselves while helping to cleanup after the mess the little birds make.

$Patio & Bird Feeder.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
FINALLY got a pic. of the one that's been hanging around here for 2 or 3 weeks sucking up on the day lillies. Just hung the feeder a couple of days ago. I saw another one attack the one that's been hanging around (wasn't able to get a pic), so they must be starting to get around here now. They are going back to the live oak like they usually do.

Connie, I tried again to get a pick of the red headed woodpecker that is here, but every time I open the door he scoots. They usually sit up in the hickory tree and just yell at me. The humming birds and the woodpecker seem a little skittish this year.

Anyways, here's the best pic. I could get today. I need to get my video camera set up. I've posted a bit to the tube...if I can remember how to do it. :biggrin1:

$IMG_0001.jpg

Intrigued

Get picture, Mike!

This is a picture I pulled off the internet of a Red Bellied woodpecker. I have one of these that shows up most days along with some smaller woodpeckers and nuthatches.
proxy.php

So life was happening and I wasn't as attentive to my feeders as I should have been. I noticed that I hadn't spotted a hummingbird for days when I would usually see them multiple times throughout the day. When I checked the feeders I saw that the nectar was cloudy and that some of the feeding ports had a bit of black mold on them. I disassembled the feeders and washed them thoroughly, put fresh nectar in them and rehung them but I haven't spotted any hummingbirds since. (Though it's been only a couple of hours since I cleaned them.) Did I blow it? Is it likely they went elsewhere and found somewhere else to feed? Has this ever happened to any of the other hummingbird fans here? Are they likely to come back?

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If they are there in the first place...it's a good bet they'll be back. One was hitting the day lily and SWMBO's purple flower things and disappeared for a bit, but it's back now.

Been a little scarce here this year. Only had one show up for awhile, then another one showed up. Got the feeder up now and they are starting to fight over it. Usually there are several here by now.

Give it a little time.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I let mine go a little cloudy too, but those suckers fed anyway. It's funny how when the feeder is almost empty they all show up. I re-filled today.

Intrigued

They'll be back.

I really like the cheap feeders I found at Walmart. They disassemble for easy cleaning and they are so inexpensive that I bought spares. I just swap them out when it time to change out the nectar and bring the ones that were hanging in for a good cleaning and chance to dry thoroughly before the next use. I try not to load them with more nectar then they'll go through in 3 or 4 days so I'm not tempted to leave them up too long before change outs. :blushing:

$Humming bird Feeder.jpg

They'll be back.

I really like the cheap feeders I found at Walmart. They disassemble for easy cleaning and they are so inexpensive that I bought spares. I just swap them out when it time to change out the nectar and bring the ones that were hanging in for a good cleaning and chance to dry thoroughly before the next use. I try not to load them with more nectar then they'll go through in 3 or 4 days so I'm not tempted to leave them up too long before change outs. :blushing:

I'm still on the lookout for their return.

I've been changing out their nectar every 5 days and hadn't had any issues until now. I think my problem is that I've been lazy with cleaning them. Until yesterday when I gave them a good, thorough wash, I had only been rinsing them in hot water. The funk must have been building because the nectar went cloudy and the mold was visible in only 3 days. As far as the nectar goes, I've only been boiling up 3/4 of a cup at a time to be split between 2 feeders. I could probably even get away with 1/2 a cup to be split between the two feeders. I'd just have to keep an eye on them when it's windy and the feeders are blown around because sometimes the nectar level can get low from spillage.

Because these beautiful tiny birds are also little bullies, I have three feeders spaced apart so that nobody can control one and everyone gets a chance to feed. They still fight, but the little and non-dominant ones can eat/drink.
I've noticed that even when I've been a bad hummingbird parent and let the feeders run dry or get old, they still stop by and check out the area, just in case. Remember that they are looking for flowers, which aren't in bloom every day of the year. They remember productive areas and return often to check on their crop.
In Southern California, we can get them all year long but the explosion is always in the early summer.
This is the feeder by my front door.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 46
Update: The hummingbird(s) have returned although I'm spotting them with much less frequency. The most I've seen them since my last report was 3 times throughout a day but some days, not at all.

I have a new theory about how the nectar went bad after only 3 days. I've noticed that the chickadees and other like sized birds have taken to drinking out of the ant moats I have above each hummingbird feeder even though there's a bird bath less than 6 feet away. They perch up there and I've noticed bird poop on some of the feeding ports. I'm guessing a strategically aimed poop found its way into the feeding port and caused things to go foul fast. Maybe the other birds perching on the ant moats is discouraging the hummingbirds from coming around more frequently?

Lots of hummingbirds at my feeder now - 7 or 8 on a constant basis. My folks down the drive have over 20 at their two feeders. I love watching them interact.

For the first time in decades I did get checked out by a young lady. Yes, there is hope for us middle aged folks after all. :thumbup1: It was embarrassing for her because I caught her when I turned around quickly but that is what made it fun. She tried to hide her embarrassment but didn't really succeed. She saw me from a distance and sauntered by, then came close enough to introduce herself. I turned my head and that was all it took. Zoom, off she went. It was a female hummer taking a close look at my red shirt I had on for Independence Day.:biggrin1:

For the first time in decades I did get checked out by a young lady. Yes, there is hope for us middle aged folks after all. :thumbup1: It was embarrassing for her because I caught her when I turned around quickly but that is what made it fun. She tried to hide her embarrassment but didn't really succeed. She saw me from a distance and sauntered by, then came close enough to introduce herself. I turned my head and that was all it took. Zoom, off she went. It was a female hummer taking a close look at my red shirt I had on for Independence Day.:biggrin1:

They are funny creatures. In the spring, my wife and I were having a glass of wine while we were on a swing in our backyard. A humming bird came within two feet of us and hovered for a few seconds before taking off.

Here are a couple of shots of the gang at my feeder. There are 11 hanging around today. I need to use a faster shutter speed - sorry about that. I'll try to take some better shots later. The feeder is a Droll Yankees Happy-8. I almost can't make it through a day without a refill now. My folks down the drive have at least 20 at their two feeders.

I call the one on the left "Mexican standoff" :). Man do they ever fight for the juice.

$DSC_2244.jpg$DSC_2262.jpg

I've been putting out feeders of various types for a few years now.
One of my favourite hummer feeders is the kind with suction cups, which I've put on the window over the kitchen sink.
$100_5389.jpg
If you watch straight through the side at the right angle you can see their tongues dipping in and out several times a second.
$100_5390.jpg
The only problem is that it's 10 feet of the ground, so I have to reach through the open sliding glass window to get at it for cleaning and refills, and that means I can't leave the screen in (it's a tight fit to remove and replace the screen).

In the winter I swap it out for a seed feeder.
Popular with the American Goldfinches and Chickadees.
$100_4706.jpg
Great for closeups without much zoom.
$100_4708.jpg

A typical back yard setup, also visible from the kitchen sink.
This is before I fabricated an ant trap for the hummer feeder on the left, using a small yogurt container, coat hanger wire, and some aquarium adhesive.
It works, but I also catch other birds drinking from it.
These are a bunch of male and female Purple Finches, plus a Rose-breasted Grosbeak on the left edge of the platform.
$100_5366.jpg
I added the skinny branch because the chickadees prefer to carry a (black oil) sunflower seed to a perch where they can grasp it with one claw wrapped around the seed and the branch, then they work at it with their beak.
More recently I had uprooted a small apple tree that had been killed by some kind of parasites, and I tied it to a stake near the feeders. Lots more room for them while waiting in line.
Occasionally I see hummingbirds perched in it.

Other birds we get are Pine Siskins, Grackles, Pheasants, Mourning Doves, Red Winged Blackbirds, Blue Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, White-throated Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, Robins
Less commonly - Northern Flicker, Evening Grosbeak, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Common Redpoll, Indigo Bunting, Starlings.

Top Bottom