What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

Graydog

Biblical Innards
proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Our "resident" hummers (there were 4) left with the first cold front.

I'm now seeing just the occasional "stranger," who doesn't recognize the feeder i.e. checking it out hesitantly rather than feed-feed-feeding.

Also one larger hummer of a different species.

AA

Mine are gone as well. I think I last saw one on Tues or Wed of last week and took the feeders down on Sun. They're all washed up and ready to go for next year!

I still have two birds at my feeder here in west central Indiana. It's hard to say if they're part of the original crew of 20+ over the summer, or birds migrating through from up north. I was just about to take down my feeder when I saw them..so I'll be leaving it up a little longer and keeping the juice fresh. The two that remain are both females.

Black Chinned from our front yard a couple years ago:

$p1201443006-6.jpg

$p1201450234-6.jpg

Sigma 50-500mm lens with flash set to high speed trailing curtain (shoots as the shutter closes) with Pentax body (APS-C sensor with 1.5x crop factor) 1/6000 second shutter speed.

Nice shots there D.:thumbup1:

Thank you. I am trying to plant blooming plants that will attract more as I always see them at my neighbor's feeders, but not always at mine (yet my feeders get emptied). I have seen them at mine in the early morning and almost night when there is too little light to capture images of them with my older gear.

I live in N. Florida. I don't have a feeder but I do, on rare occasion, see a few hummingbirds in my back yard. One second they're there, the next second they're gone. I think I'm gonna go ahead and a bird bath and hummingbird feeder.

I live in N. Florida. I don't have a feeder but I do, on rare occasion, see a few hummingbirds in my back yard. One second they're there, the next second they're gone. I think I'm gonna go ahead and a bird bath and hummingbird feeder.

One caveat about a feeder. In very hot weather the feeder solution can spoil. So, in hot weather use a little solution at a time.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, it's that time of year for the hummers to start showing up. So get those feeders cleaned up and rarin' to go. Last year it was March 26th when I saw the first hummer of the year. With such a mild winter here I bet they are are already here. Feeder is going up tomorrow.

I'm probably a month or more away from my first hummingbird sighting but I planned on putting my feeders out in about 3 weeks just in case I had some early birds. I see they just barely breached into Missouri as they make their way north up the Mississippi River Valley.

My feeder has been out for 3 days but I haven't seen anything yet. Once I spot my first, I'll put out my 2nd feeder. (They hang about 5-6 feet apart.) According to the migration map online, there have been 3 sightings reported in my part of the state so hopefully I'll see something soon. If I recall correctly, last year I spotted my first hummingbird about 2 weeks after they were first reported in the state so I might have a bit of a wait. I dangled a couple of thin ribbons from my feeder to increase visibility and I find it kind of amusing that I enjoy watching them blow in the breeze so much so I'll enjoy watching the ribbons in the mean time.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Saw the first one last Thursday, and then SWMBO put some sugar water in the feeder. Next day I was standing next to the feeder and it came down out of the live oak and buzzed me. Haven't seen it since, but they are here.

Haven't been able to get online in a week due to satellite problems, but going to upgrade from this outdated system. Tech came out today and got things online again...kinda sorta...but still having problems.

Took me 45 minutes to upload a minute and forty five second video of the hummingbirds last year...maybe when I upgrade it will be better.

Top Bottom