What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

I've given up on compulsively watching my feeder hoping to see my first hummingbird for the time being. I'm betting this year will be much like last year and I won't see anything until mid-May. It looks like the early arrivals to MN were along the Mississippi river valley. I'm guessing that I won't see one until the wave that is moving into northern Iowa makes it's way north into the Twin-City metro area of the state.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I haven't seen any yet, either.
proxy.php
Though, I did get one of my night time visitors last night.

He took my feeder off it's hook in the tree, drank the nectar, and sat the feeder neatly upright on the ground under the tree. Whoever or whatever it is, has done the same thing repeatedly over the years that I've been feeding the hummers. Luckily he only does it a few, spaced out, times in any given hummer season.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've given up on compulsively watching my feeder hoping to see my first hummingbird for the time being. I'm betting this year will be much like last year and I won't see anything until mid-May. It looks like the early arrivals to MN were along the Mississippi river valley. I'm guessing that I won't see one until the wave that is moving into northern Iowa makes it's way north into the Twin-City metro area of the state.

Yeah, I think I'll wait until I see one hanging around these little puppies before I waste sugar putting out a feeder. Even though the roses don't have nectar I see the hummers hanging around them during the summer. Hunting for bugs?

$IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't seen any yet, either.
proxy.php
Though, I did get one of my night time visitors last night.

He took my feeder off it's hook in the tree, drank the nectar, and sat the feeder neatly upright on the ground under the tree. Whoever or whatever it is, has done the same thing repeatedly over the years that I've been feeding the hummers. Luckily he only does it a few, spaced out, times in any given hummer season.

I had the same visitor when I hung the feeder in a tree or on a shepherds pole. I'm thinking racoon.

Intrigued

I had the same visitor when I hung the feeder in a tree or on a shepherds pole. I'm thinking racoon.

My thought as well. I don't really mind one getting an occasional treat as long as he doesn't get too greedy.

I would like to stamp my foot at the toolish putz(es) that has been eating the flowers off my tulips. :letterk2:

Intrigued

Still haven't seen any of my hummers back.... but I just saw for the first time since I've been feeding the hummingbirds, a female Baltimore Oriole!
proxy.php

proxy.php

I haven't seen a hummingbird yet but I did see one of these this morning, a pileated woodpecker. I only see these on occasion, not very often or with any kind of regularity. I was surprised at how big they are!

proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't seen a hummingbird yet but I did see one of these this morning, a pileated woodpecker. I only see these on occasion, not very often or with any kind of regularity. I was surprised at how big they are!

proxy.php

Woodpeckers are really cool. I had one at my regular feeder last week. He had an orange/red head and spotted chest.

I haven't seen any woodpeckers lately other than the pilated woodpecker this morning. During the winter months I was regularly getting a red bellied woodpecker and a downy woodpecker(s) at my feeder. The red bellied woodpecker liked the regular seed feeder and the downy always visited the suet feeder.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:

Intrigued

proxy.php

I've never seen a pileated woodpecker in real life and I haven't seen a red head woodpecker since I was a kid. :sad:

Though I am lucky enough to get a variety of other woodpeckers at my suet feeder on a daily basis. :thumbup1:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't seen any woodpeckers lately other than the pilated woodpecker this morning. During the winter months I was regularly getting a red bellied woodpecker and a downy woodpecker(s) at my feeder. The red bellied woodpecker liked the regular seed feeder and the downy always visited the suet feeder.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Whoops, Mike the one on the left s very close to what I meant. Handsome fellow.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Well First One showed up this Morning ,it is a little early for my backyard.
Hope I get another nest this year :thumbup:

Here north of Toronto I saw my first hummingbird of the season on Saturday - he passed by all the feeders and was attracted to a reddish purple finch who was drinking from the bird bath on our deck. He hovered for about 5 seconds then flew off. Spent most of Sunday afternoon hoping to see another but none were seen.

3 male Orioles today as well as 3 male rose-breasted Grosbeaks - both showed up in singles a few days ago. Am expecting to get an Indigo Bunting passing through this week.

Sadly, 2 baby doves in a nest on a window ledge next door were attacked and eaten by a red squirrel this evening :(
Just today they had been seen stretching their wings and being taught to jump out of their nest onto the ledge in preparation for fledgling. You leave your kids alone for 2 minutes.....

A few days ago I saw a hummingbird fly up to my porch, to the spot where my feeder was hanging last year. Well, that was my clue to put up my feeder. Got it up and saw my first hummingbird sitting on it when I got home from work yesterday. Saw it again this morning. That made me happy.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Was washing out a coffee cup this morning and looked over at the dining room window...a female hummingbird was hovering there looking back at me. She seemed to be hanging around the yellow daylily type thing flowers below the window.

Don't know if I want to hang a feeder yet or just see what they do this year on the natural stuff. Some of the blue jays in the live oak in the front yard, where the hummingbirds usually stay, were getting a bit upset today.

Connie...I tried to get a picture of Woody the Wood Pecker, that's always around here, for you. He was in/on the live oak, then to the maple, then when I opened the door to take a pic. he flew off to the other side of the yard (about 50 yards away), and I couldn't get a good pic.

When he gets in the hickory trees he kinda sits and lets me get closer. I'll try again later. He's the solid red headed kind.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It seems the hummers have all moved on. I'm not getting any hits on the feeder where as just a few days ago it was nonstop. Strange birds.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sadly, 2 baby doves in a nest on a window ledge next door were attacked and eaten by a red squirrel this evening :(
Just today they had been seen stretching their wings and being taught to jump out of their nest onto the ledge in preparation for fledgling. You leave your kids alone for 2 minutes.....

That's sad.

I shot a skunk several weeks ago in the front yard (I had caught one eating baby kittens last year), and took a shot at a coyote in the back yard about three days ago but don't know if I hit it...the coyote hasn't been back...yet. And that was about 10:00 in the morning. It must have some kits it's trying to nurse. It was just hunting the fence line for mice it looked like.

And we have a new batch of kittens that Momma brought out yesterday. Five of 'em. OMG. This crop is very easy to handle...very friendly. That may not be a good thing, but they are soooo cute.

Top Bottom