What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They're really fast little suckers, aren't they? :biggrin:

In season, I frequently hear them buzz by my head if I'm out and anywhere near the feeder. It was really a "what the ...???" moment the first time or two it happened. :lol:

I guess I'll log-in to the hummer website and report my sighting. I'm not sure I'll be able to ID the little bugger though.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
They're really on the move now!

proxy.php

I haven't seen any yet- Hung feeders up early but no takers.
Continuing to keep nectar clean-
Will see if they show up in a couple days.

Intrigued

I haven't seen any yet- Hung feeders up early but no takers.
Continuing to keep nectar clean-
Will see if they show up in a couple days.

proxy.php

It looks like the sightings are still pretty sparse in North Carolina. They'll probably be along shortly.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I see by the migration map that they are pushing into bordering states Iowa and Wisconsin. I'd better get my feeders out soon!

In one day the map reported sightings in southern Wisconsin and middle Iowa (hundreds of miles away) and then the next, sightings north of me in Minnesota! I need to get my feeder out today!!

According to the migration map there have been sightings in areas all around me ranging from the 14th to the 17th. I got my feeder up the morning of the 17th which is about 2-3 weeks earlier than I put it up last year. No sightings yet though I've had a pair of ducks which have been visiting regularly to feed underneath my pole feeder.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I changed out the sugar water. They were buzzing behind my head while I was hooking it back up.

Here's a video I took with my phone...not great a great shot. Looks like a female.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intrigued

That is so cool, Aaron!! :thumbup1:

I've had my feeder out since the early part of last week... so far no hummingbirds... yet, or at least that I've seen.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That is so cool, Aaron!! :thumbup1:

I've had my feeder out since the early part of last week... so far no hummingbirds... yet, or at least that I've seen.

At first I wasn't seeing them but the sugar water was going down. Sure some evaporates but not that fast! Then, they started buzzing in and out a lot throughout the day. They can be little pigs.

My feeder has been up for almost a week but no sightings yet. Looking at the migration map, there are spotty sightings all around me but the "blanket" hasn't hit my area yet. Last year was my first year putting up a hummingbird feeder and I went back to the beginning of this thread to see when things started up for me. I didn't put my feeder out until early May and didn't get my first hummers until mid-May. I find myself watching the feeder hopefully throughout the day but I may still have a while to wait.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My feeder has been up for almost a week but no sightings yet. Looking at the migration map, there are spotty sightings all around me but the "blanket" hasn't hit my area yet. Last year was my first year putting up a hummingbird feeder and I went back to the beginning of this thread to see when things started up for me. I didn't put my feeder out until early May and didn't get my first hummers until mid-May. I find myself watching the feeder hopefully throughout the day but I may still have a while to wait.

Same thing happened to me Mike back in mid March. I had my feeder out and saw nothing. Where as areas around me were getting hits. It wasn't until the last week in March when I saw my first sitting.

Same thing happened to me Mike back in mid March. I had my feeder out and saw nothing. Where as areas around me were getting hits. It wasn't until the last week in March when I saw my first sitting.

I see that the 2nd wave or "blanket" appears to be hitting the southern toe of MN which is about 75-100 miles south of me. Hopefully I'll be seeing some in the next week or two.

Top Bottom