What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
How does that happen? I've seen two hummers that can't even share a 4-flower feeder!
Mike:
attachment.php
Maybe, they somehow must have formed an alliance and/or peace treaty (however short), in 'The Hummingbird Wars'.
attachment.php

proxy.php
"The first rule of [The Hummingbird Wars] is: you do not talk about [The Hummingbird Wars]". Fight Club Rules

Last edited:
I think you get two species of hummingbirds down in LA, Christopher, the ruby throated ones we have up north, and the rufous species. Do you see both?

I think you get two species of hummingbirds down in LA, Christopher, the ruby throated ones we have up north, and the rufous species. Do you see both?
The USGS site lists, I think, 8 - 10 species that have been known to migrate through and nest in LA. I'll have to find that link for you later.

Do you color the mixture? Around here they sell a mixture that is red in color.

Sorry about not responding. I didn't have settings set to auto subscribe. We don't color our water at all. Never tried the colored water, but the birds don't seem to notice.

That's going to depend on different factors like if your feeder is in the sun all day or if it's in the shade all day and what the temperatures are. This is a chart I found online that can be used as a suggested guideline:

Temperature / # of days before change

70 / 7 days
71-75 / 6 days
76-80 / 5 days
81-84 / 4 days
85-88 / 3 days
89-92 / 2 days
93+ / daily

I can't say that I've followed those guidelines. My feeder is in the shade all day. I've changed the nectar weekly regardless of the temperature and I haven't seen any issues yet. (i.e. cloudy nectar, mold, hummers not feeding regularly, etc. ) I'm pretty certain if my feeder was in the sun, I'd probably have to change the nectar more frequently.

+1. We are in Ohio and change our water more frequently in Aug than we do in May. I don't think going more than a week is a good idea. Sun exposure is important also.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I change mine about every 4 or5 days. The heat here evaporates the sugar water quickly. I use no coloring in the water, the feeder has plenty of color.

I'm getting 3 or 4 different little characters who come up to feed daily. More so in the early morning and early evening.

We have one bird who owns the feeder whenever he is present. We call him General Eishenhower because of his in charge attitude. If he is not feeding, he will sit on top of the feeder hook looking around. There is some type of alliance going on, because he will swoop down and chase certain birds off, but not others. I haven't figured out the system, but they obviously know who is supposed to be there and who isn't. If Eisenhower isn't there, chasing still goes on, but its more disorganized. I have no idea who is chasing who and why. It is usually calmer when the General is gone.

The other major thing going on at our feeder is that it is a secondary feeder. The house up the hill is where the birds mostly feed. Occassionally thier feeder runs dry, and we get a sudden surge of double to triple our normal activity. On occassion, they have drained our feeder in an afternoon. When that happens, it is total chaos. Birds literally wait in line while others take turns chasing each other around. It's an amazing site.

We have lots of hummingbirds reliably from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I use the 4:1 homemade mix that others talk about. Change it once a week. We also put put cut oranges to get the Orioles in around the time they nest in the spring.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Bob:
We seen the Ruby Throated quite often, but the Rufous hasn't 'showed-up' yet...we'll keep looking!
proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp] "The hummingbird competes with the stillness of the air". Chogyam Trungpa[/FONT]

Last edited:
According to Hummingbirds.net, the following species are known to migrate through and nest in Louisiana:

Ruby-throated, Rufous, Black-chinned, Buff-bellied, Allen's, Broad-tailed, Anna's, Calliope, Blue-throated, Broad-billed, Green Violet-ear, Magnificent, Green-breasted Mango.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
According to Hummingbirds.net, the following species are known to migrate through and nest in Louisiana:

Ruby-throated, Rufous, Black-chinned, Buff-bellied, Allen's, Broad-tailed, Anna's, Calliope, Blue-throated, Broad-billed, Green Violet-ear, Magnificent, Green-breasted Mango.

Jessy:
proxy.php
...thanx for the info, support and for sharing! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp] “Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time…”. Papyrus[/FONT]

Last edited:
Top Bottom