What's new

Hello from the North

Good day all,

My name is Craig and I am VERY new to wet shaving, so new that in fact I don't even know if I just used the correct term :)

A little about me, I am 41 and live most of the year in Iqaluit, Nunavut. Been living in the Arctic since 2004 and love it. When I am not freezing there I am freezing in Newfoundland (that is my home). I am married with two kids (5 and 3) and I work in IT. Kind of a boring guy, I like tattoos, video games, computers and traveling.

I shave both my face and entire head, I have been using cartridge blades for years now (so much money wasted :sad:) I have wanted to go the way of the straight razor for years but with smallish kids I am just too nervous. Anyway a few weeks back I got a Merkur 34C, some soap, a blade sampler and off I went for my first shave. So after I cleaned up all the blood I decided that shaving with a DE razor is very different than what I was used to, but I did not quit I tried again. I shave every two days, so the next time I waited till everyone was gone to bed, SLOWED down and everything was fine(ish). Since then I have been working on my technique and trying different blades (feathers and far to sharp for me).

Anyway, I am glad to have found a place to geek out about shaving and look forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Welcome from Grande Prairie Alberta. It's always nice to see fellow Canadians join the forum. Drop on over to the hall of fame and tell us all about yourself. Enjoy your adventure.

Welcome to the club, Craig. Glad to have you aboard. Don't throw the Feathers away--once you get your technique refined, you'll find that you really love them.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome aboard, keep working on your technique -- sounds like you're almost there!

Welcome Craig and fellow Canuck!

Having done some work (also IT) at the Diamond Mines in Yellowknife, and iron ore on Baffin Island - I have a firsthand understanding of the environment you find yourself in. Brave lad. When you're an old hat - you might want to post how to get BBS while wearing a Canada Goose jacket.

Welcome. Clean-shaven in the Arctic! I'd be tempted to grow as much hair as possible.

Quite the common approach to workers on the mines I was on - most wouldn't touch a blade for their 2,3 or more weeks rotation. Understandable with the early start, long hours and exhaustion at the end of the day.

Top Bottom