What's new

Looking for a dress shoe with almost no heel.

So this may be the equivalent of a unicorn but let me explain. About eight months ago I lost my leg below the knee. One of the most difficult things about wearing a prosthetic, believe it or not, is dress shoes. They do not play well with a prosthetic leg. So wearing a suit every day to work is now an exercise in discomfort. What I really need to find is an Oxford style, leather soled dress shoe that has little or no heel but still looks good with a suit. That search has not turned up anything even remotely appealing. Does anybody have any suggestions?

You might also want to look into shoes that will accept orthotics, assuming that a custom orthotic can allow enough adjustment in height or angle of your foot bed to provide good comfort.

If the issue is simply the open gap on the bottom of the sole under the arch area in between the heel and forefoot, a cobbler should be able to attach a fairly discreet looking shim underneath to fill this gap and increase the shoes contact area. I do not know the technical name for this modification and which prevented me from finding an image on google search to better describe it.

Last edited:

I've seen these before and they look really goofy. The heel is part of the "look" of a dress shoe, so a totally flat sole will always look off. For this reason, it will be really, really hard to find quality dress shoes that fit the bill. The "Primal Professional" model that someone else linked is a bit better in that it has a faux heel.

I think we need a bit more info from Bamaal. Is the issue one with the rise of the shoe throwing off the length of the prosthetic, or is it the heel catching on stuff? Or some other problem?

You could also try talking to a cobbler about modifying current shoes.

+1. Would try this before starting on a major buying expedition. Most likely, you already have shoes that you like. Now you just need to get them altered appropriately IMO. Best of luck!

Top Bottom