What's new

Best espresso beans?

I'm moving, and my stuff is about to show up. Knowing it will take a while to find my homemade roaster, buy some greens, and get back in the swing, I'm looking for rapidly available (probably Amazon) beans. I haven't purchased roasted beans in a few years, and while living in Europe I decided their ristretto was better than my American style shots anyway. Suggestions?

RedbirdCoffee.com usually roasts and ships within a few days, and comes USPS 2-3 day priority. I just placed an order today, and in the past, a Friday order was roasted Sun/Mon, shipped Mon, arrives Wed.

It's a nice chocolatey espresso/ristretto and it's under $11/lb shipped if you buy the 5-lb bag like I do.

I'm partial to "Miscela D'Oro - Gusto Classico" if you can find it. I buy it by the case from my local cafe here in da Bronx.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Resurfacing this post.

After trying several brands in our Breville Express Espresso Machine, our favorite is Lavazza Super Crema. It’s easy to find, moderately priced, and gets great reviews. Here’s an example:

Is this Medium Espresso Roast the best espresso beans for crema? Well, that’s exactly why the product title has the words “Super Crema” in it. The Whole Bean Coffee by Lavazza here is packed with subtle hints of dried fruit, almonds, and honey. And just so you know, all the blending and roasting is done in Italy.
The espresso coffee is blended with consistently rich, velvety crema. Even the persistent aroma is something you’re very likely to fall in love with. A combination of Indian, Colombian, and Brazilian Arabica coffee beans and Vietnamese and Indonesian Robusta coffee beans is used. This special, diverse blend is what creates creamy espresso coffee.
In my opinion, Lavazza Super Crema is just like traditional espresso. But with a richer, fuller taste and no bitterness. The natural sweetness packed in here is more than enough for you to skip the sugar. So you have all you need right at home!

Any other espresso bean recommendations? We’re looking to further experiment.

B5B5791E-5E1F-4347-BF37-96EE7AE55D60.jpeg70A31D4C-BDA2-4C57-80D7-00614EF75288.jpeg

For the resurface :)

49th coffee out of Canada
Intelligentsia coffee
Dragonfly roaster is not bad
Nossa coffee also is pretty good
CaffeLuso roaster
metropolis roaster
Vivace roaster as mentioned and redbird mentioned
All the above are ones I have had and do get on special occasion

I do think their are many good beans that do not have to be so expensive some of these have upped their price to much I feel :)
that said
I really like bang for buck Malabar Gold from Josuma roaster and one I have daily and keep on hand again for the price been great and consistent so this is one custom roaster that has become my go to and the others I do more for Bday XMas or something as I am very happy with the flavor of the Malabar Gold

home-barista forum had a good thread a bit ago on italian espresso beans like Lavazza I get the green bag organic lavazza at costco once in a while for cold brew and not to bad for espresso also tried the one you show :) actually had a lavazza today if I know I am going to drink more than 3 espresso I make one Lavazza and two Malabar gold :)

Lavazza to me is Ok and nothing like good beans but like razors here its all so personal and then you have to go OK when I can get 5x as much with lavazza and the others are not 5x as good :) again I do like it just not as much ! But for the price its a no brainer :)

for a cheaper brand I need to try Danesi sometime from wholelattellove many have said its good for buck kinda thing :) again no idea have not tried it they also have some more italian style blends that are not custom roasting much like the lavazza
they (wholelattelove) has a sampler that has Carraro, Maromas, and Kimbo I keep meaning to order to try those

the price of custom is getting out of hand so its tough to keep drinking so much of it :)

I prefer a med roast or italian roast NOT a fan of dark roasts only drink espresso only with a bit of cream nothing else :) I have both conical and flat burr grinders and tend to prefer one over the other so yeah kinda picky about my likes :)

put on some Cella and make some Lavazza or other main italian brand out of a moka pot and try to pretend one is sitting in some Italian villa enjoying the view :) ahhahahah

The one that you can get fresh (ideally 1-2weeks after roasting, but max 4), for me preferably a light roasted Ethiopian. Both for espresso and pour over.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like Hair Bender from Stumptown. It is a very European flavor profile. I believe you can also get Grizzly from Texas Coffee Traders online, a very smooth one with some lighter Vienna roast undertones.

Stumptown is always coming up in my suggested Amazon feed, however when it comes to beans, I've been sourcing them local from my local coffee shops, which is no help to you. However, I've been using the Cafe Lavalle I believe, the green bag of the pre-ground espresso beans.........works fantastic in a french press. Or Gavina if I'm "slumming" lol

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Stumptown is always coming up in my suggested Amazon feed, however when it comes to beans, I've been sourcing them local from my local coffee shops, which is no help to you. However, I've been using the Cafe Lavalle I believe, the green bag of the pre-ground espresso beans.........works fantastic in a french press. Or Gavina if I'm "slumming" lol
I am in Austin and love going to Texas Coffee Traders. They always have about half a dozen out to sample, but I always end up with Grizzly Blend for espresso. For drip or press I am much more adventuresome, but I always regret light roasts because they are so acidic. Too bad, because they are delicious.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
what is a 'european flavor profile'? 😃
asks a european 😃
I found virtually all the drip/cafe filtre and press in Western Europe to be built on a very dark roast. Likewise for espresso. In the US baristas are gravitating to lighter roasts, not just for press and drip but also for espresso. Has that trend taken hold on your side of the pond?

I found virtually all the drip/cafe filtre and press in Western Europe to be built on a very dark roast. Likewise for espresso. In the US baristas are gravitating to lighter roasts, not just for press and drip but also for espresso. Has that trend taken hold on your side of the pond?
I think it depends whom you ask and where. "Traditional"/ mainstream / supermarket coffee tastes like plant soil anywhere, if you ask me :)
Italian roast are the darkest of them all, even the lightest roasts from northern Italy aren't really light. The "french" roast is much lighter imo. German coffee is tasteless by stereotype, but that is because how it is brewed. The beans are not very dark in my experience either. But this naming is outdated. People who drink moka pot coffee tend to use darker roasts, and those who drink filter, have lighter.
I live in northern Europe, here the "standard" household coffeemaker is some kind of dripper -> even everyday coffee is roasted lighter.
I think in the past decade more and more people appreciated artisan roasters, even mass producing brands have at least one single origin/ligher roast package. Many "hipster" coffeeshops opened all over europe, at least in big cities. So overall I'd say, if you want to drink good coffee, you can, be it filter or espresso.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think it depends whom you ask and where. "Traditional"/ mainstream / supermarket coffee tastes like plant soil anywhere, if you ask me :)
Italian roast are the darkest of them all, even the lightest roasts from northern Italy aren't really light. The "french" roast is much lighter imo. German coffee is tasteless by stereotype, but that is because how it is brewed. The beans are not very dark in my experience either. But this naming is outdated. People who drink moka pot coffee tend to use darker roasts, and those who drink filter, have lighter.
I live in northern Europe, here the "standard" household coffeemaker is some kind of dripper -> even everyday coffee is roasted lighter.
I think in the past decade more and more people appreciated artisan roasters, even mass producing brands have at least one single origin/ligher roast package. Many "hipster" coffeeshops opened all over europe, at least in big cities. So overall I'd say, if you want to drink good coffee, you can, be it filter or espresso.
Thanks for the overview. I am a sucker for Italian roast.

I am in Austin and love going to Texas Coffee Traders. They always have about half a dozen out to sample, but I always end up with Grizzly Blend for espresso. For drip or press I am much more adventuresome, but I always regret light roasts because they are so acidic. Too bad, because they are delicious.

Ever try Gear Head coffee? they have a espresso roast that's really good, really really really really good check them out.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
For the resurface :)

49th coffee out of Canada
Intelligentsia coffee
Dragonfly roaster is not bad
Nossa coffee also is pretty good
CaffeLuso roaster
metropolis roaster
Vivace roaster as mentioned and redbird mentioned
All the above are ones I have had and do get on special occasion

I do think their are many good beans that do not have to be so expensive some of these have upped their price to much I feel :)
that said
I really like bang for buck Malabar Gold from Josuma roaster and one I have daily and keep on hand again for the price been great and consistent so this is one custom roaster that has become my go to and the others I do more for Bday XMas or something as I am very happy with the flavor of the Malabar Gold

home-barista forum had a good thread a bit ago on italian espresso beans like Lavazza I get the green bag organic lavazza at costco once in a while for cold brew and not to bad for espresso also tried the one you show :) actually had a lavazza today if I know I am going to drink more than 3 espresso I make one Lavazza and two Malabar gold :)

Lavazza to me is Ok and nothing like good beans but like razors here its all so personal and then you have to go OK when I can get 5x as much with lavazza and the others are not 5x as good :) again I do like it just not as much ! But for the price its a no brainer :)

for a cheaper brand I need to try Danesi sometime from wholelattellove many have said its good for buck kinda thing :) again no idea have not tried it they also have some more italian style blends that are not custom roasting much like the lavazza
they (wholelattelove) has a sampler that has Carraro, Maromas, and Kimbo I keep meaning to order to try those

the price of custom is getting out of hand so its tough to keep drinking so much of it :)

I prefer a med roast or italian roast NOT a fan of dark roasts only drink espresso only with a bit of cream nothing else :) I have both conical and flat burr grinders and tend to prefer one over the other so yeah kinda picky about my likes :)
Thanks @Ckmaui, that was exactly what I was seeking. Saved several of your recommendations to my favorites, as well as a few others in later posts. Malabar Gold looks interesting. Grazie!

Top Bottom