What's new

How to sharpen my first W&B

Hi.

I got this very old (any info would be welcome) Wade&Butcher a few weeks ago. It was a mess when I got it but it did clean up quite nicely. Had to trash the scales, made some new one in bloodwood.
I would like your advice on honing it. I have hone other str8 with great success but this one seem stuburn, It's my first heavy wedge and would like to do a good job on it. Help please!!!
I have a Norton 4k/8k, a King 6k, a japanese 4k and a chromium oxide pasted leather strop plus a good leather strop.

Jacques

well the first thing I can say about this razor is its a pretty good looking blade . but she seems to be smiling and will need to be evened out a bit . I would say either pick up a DMT to fix that or you will need to work for a long time on the 4k side of the Norton to even it out .

after that just do what you would normally do since you have honed before and let us know how it works out for you .

Good luck

Nick

well the first thing I can say about this razor is its a pretty good looking blade . but she seems to be smiling and will need to be evened out a bit . I would say either pick up a DMT to fix that or you will need to work for a long time on the 4k side of the Norton to even it out .

after that just do what you would normally do since you have honed before and let us know how it works out for you .

Good luck

Nick

+1

It takes lots of time or coarser hones.

In my opinion its absolutly necessary to have a 1k stone, if you want bring old razors back to live. Its my most important stone to form the edge. With only a 4k stone, you will be soon very unhappy. Its need too much time to work with this.

Top Bottom