What's new

It Turns Out To Be True: O1 Gold Super Adjustable

A few weeks ago I posted here about an apparent O1 Gillette Super Adjustable that I'd picked up on eBay. I said "apparent" because in all my time collecting, I'd never even seen an O1 date code on a gold Super Adjustable. O3s, O4s, and P1s sure, but never an O1. Being in Germany, this particular razor had to come to me by way of Michigan. And the Army. Slooooooooow.

Well, it turns out that it was worth the wait: it seems Gillette did make an O1 gold Super Adjustable and I couldn't be happier to have one. This razor is in terrific shape, exibiting the normal "dulling" from use and only very minor plating wear and micro-scratches on the silo doors.

I was very grateful that Achim stopped by the above mentioned thread and opined that he'd not seen an O1 before, either. I appreciated that, as it validated that there was at least something unusual about this razor.

So I'm wondering: Was this a test market production run, much like the D3 Fatboys were produced for selected test markets before the D4s were marketed regionally, and the E1s nationally? Any other thoughts?

Here are some photos of the razor exactly as it came out of the shipping box. I hope you enjoy. I can post more if you'd like to see other angles or close-ups.

And in case you're wondering, the "gillettecollection.com" logo is the site that I'll put my collection up on...someday. Taking pictures of 123 razors and adding descriptions is taking a long, long, long time.

All the best!

Rick

$image.jpg

Last edited:
What's the deal with O 1, this isn't the first time Iv'e ran across this date code. Is it rare or something?

What's the deal with O 1, this isn't the first time Iv'e ran across this date code. Is it rare or something?

I've run across this date code many times as well on Techs, Super Speeds, nickel plated Super Adjustables, but I've never seen one on a gold Super Adjustable. Those weren't made for very long and always command a lot of attention when they come up for sale.

I don't know how to define "rare", but it's certainly very unusual.

I've run across this date code many times as well on Techs, Super Speeds, nickel plated Super Adjustables, but I've never seen one on a gold Super Adjustable. Those weren't made for very long and always command a lot of attention when they come up for sale.

I don't know how to define "rare", but it's certainly very unusual.
Scarce razor

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Mine is a P1 and, yeah, I've never seen an O1. Big congrats as it appears to be in great condition.

Thanks for sharing about the O-1 Gold Black Beauty. I did not know about it so I just updated the text on my website about the Gillette adjustables. Would have added a picture too but you copyrighted the photo. Can't wait to see your site. Note: I tracked down the original ebay photo - hope you don't mind if I used it. PM me if there is a problem.

Last edited:
Would have added a picture too but you copyrighted the photo.

Glenn,

You're more than welcome to use this one. It's a bit more tidy. The first one was just slapped together in a rush.

Terriic site you've got going. Lots of inspiration in there.

All the best!

Rick
$image.jpg

So is the O 1 rare, or is it just the O 1 gold?

The O1 nickel-version of the Super Adjustable is very common.

The O1 gold-version of the Super Adjustable is, I now believe, actually worthy of the label "rare." So far I've found no evidence of gold O1s having been mentioned in any advertisements, discussion boards, BSTs, or auction sites. There are others here who are much better at Gillette research than I am (Porter instantly comes to mind), so I have hope something may turn up.

Top Bottom