What's new

The Adventures of Rust Boy

Rust Boy came to me after I took a chance on him. He was listed at $48 - Make An Offer....so I made an offer...of $24 and my offer was accepted. I had wanted a Fat Boy and had had a bit of luck with the Make An Offer in the past (most people have no idea what they have and just hope for a few bucks). Rust Boy must have been passed over for some time. I never thought my 50% bid would be accepted, I really thought I would get a counterbid of @$35 and I'd be happy. The quick sale and low price had me nervous.

Here's what Rust Boy looked like from the ebay ad:

$$_57.jpg$4$_57.jpg

Not pretty! The seller said that it was stuck closed and nothing worked. They claimed that they hadn't made much attempt to unstick it, so I assumed it was not a B&B member or any other type of collector. There might be a hidden gem here.

Well, Rust Boy arrived and I opened up the package expecting to find something to work with. Here's what I found:

$IMG_20150625_100811526_HDR.jpg

Rust Boy looked worse, if that was possible!! He really was stuck. The TTO knob would only turn about a 1/4 turn and sounded like it was lined with gravel and the adjuster dial was locked down tight. There was gunk and dirt and what looked like rust all over him. What little bit of shiny nickel plating was under attack by corrosion (oddly, his base plate, inside the silo doors, was in really decent shape. No left over razor blade rusting out inside of Rust Boy). So into the bath Rust Boy went. I usually only have to do 1 hot soapy water bath with a vintage razor but Rust Boy got 5 trips and an over night soak in Simple Green and then 2 visits to the Scrubbing Bubbles. The Simple Green soak (which removed a ton of gross gunk) did the trick on the stuck doors and the stuck adjuster. They both work and there's just a small bit of squeak when opening the doors (I suspect Rust Boy liked his bathes and is just holding out for more of them). The adjuster clicks loud and proud.

Here's how Rust Boy looks today:

$IMG_20150709_070412029.jpg$IMG_20150709_070432784.jpg

Rust Boy has a beauty all his own. As DaltonGang pointed out, he looks like something from the Star Wars world. Well, with that, I wanted to keep Rust Boy just like he is. But I wonder, could Rust Boy be dangerous? I know its not a good idea to run a rusted piece of metal across your face (and I haven't used Rust Boy, so don't worry about my tetanus status) but I would like to know if Rust Boy can be made safe to use occasionally and without having to replate him. I know that the brass base of Rust Boy doesn't rust, so is it possible that the nickel plating is rusting? I'm not too worried about the rust on the top of the silo doors but its the rust areas on the safety bars that have me apprehensive(BTW when I say "rust" I should point out that those areas are very smooth and not "rust-like", its more of a color than anything). Can they be made safe? Can Rust Boy be tamed? Is Rust Boy going to have to retire from the shave game? Or is he doomed to the fate of a replate? Tune in tomorrow......or when ever Rust Boy's fans decide to comment.

Last edited:
There's a difference between shaving with a razor that has a well earned patina ....... I scored a Single Ring not so long back that I was going to polish, but the patina has developed so beautifully, I'd kill its character should I do so.

That Fatboy, however ........ Is either an interest piece or a health hazard ..... Depending on whether you keep it to look at, or decide to shave with it. Plate loss is something you can work around easily with a bit of elbow grease and polish. Smooth nickle and brass are a lot more hygienic than pitted brass, verdigris and as yet unknown gunk :thumbup1:

The pictures don't do it justice. The silo doors are very smooth and the safety bars are also smooth. Its almost like Rust Boy has a custom paint job. There's no pitting at all on Rust Boy. That's what I need help with.....what is causing the nickel plating to appear as rust and, in a few places, as strange yellowish "patina"? There's no "gunk" left on Rust Boy after his many cleanings.

There's a difference between rust/corrosion/dirt and a patina. The rust on that Gillette isn't part of the original razor, as Fatboys are built of nickel-plated brass. More likely it was in close company with some blades that rusted away.

I'd hit it with CLR, would remove a lot of the gunk, and then polish with a dremel. It will still look worn, but will be a lot more hygienic.

$clr.jpg

The rust almost certainly came from an old blade that was left wet and forgotten about. It has to just be staining nickel and brass don't rust. I would try the CLR already mentioned or vinegar or wd40 also work well for rust staining.

Another name for this one could be "Oxi-king"! There was some serious oxidation on that thing before its initial cleanup (well done by the way).

There are only a few fatboys out there that are so far gone that repairing and restoring is out of the question but this one is definitely salvageable. These old things sure can handle a beating!

Other than the missing endcaps, this one doesn't seem to have any apparent unmanageable issues. A replate will only look as good as the base metal it resides on but we all know how the Katrina Razor turned out!:thumbup:

Go for it! PM'ing you back shortly.

Well, rust doesn't cause tetanus, but I suspect you know that already and I'd give the CLR a try. It's almost certain the rust is from something foreign , but the green could be from the brass.

Soft brass bristle brush used in conjunction with Maas metal polish will likely solve your remaining issues. A brush used for gun cleaning or Jewlery cleaning is the ticket. The brass bristles are just a bit stiffer than a toothbrush and really gets the gunk out of the crevices and cracks that are showing in the pictures. You will lose some plating in the process, but be gentle and slow and that Witt be minimized greatly.

As in shaving, use as little pressure as possible, and go for stain reduction not complete removal in one pass. Wash and wipe often and adjust the angle of attack with the brush often. Microfiber towels also are a friend when doing the final polish and cleanup.

good work so far, looking forward to seeing stage two pics soon!:thumbup:

Top Bottom