What's new

Dull Derby blade.

I have been DE shaving for about a month now and have really enjoyed the experience and the shaves. I settled on the derby blades to get my technique sorted and to reduce the variables. The shaves were really good and the more i shaved the better the shaves were getting, e.g closer with less irritation.

I changed blades after three shaves to be on the safe side, so the other day i fired in a new derby and went along with my usual pre shave routine, completed my first pass n washed lather off my face, i must have removed about 2 whiskers, as my face was identical to before my first pass, i thought i would try again with the same blade just to give it a chance, incase it was my techniques fault. 2nd pass, again no noise from shave, and no whiskers removed. I was gutted as i can only do 3 passes or i get irritation. So i put in a crystal blade and did my 3rd pass and it did a really good job. wasnt a great shave because there was really only 1 WTG pass, but it was presentable with an electric touch up the next morning.

I was really just wondering if any1 else has had this experience, n whether i should stick with derbys.

Thanks

Sounds like the QA guy might have fallen asleep when that blade came down the line. I've used Derby blades almost exclusively for the last year and haven't run into one like that.
With the millions of blades that blade companies produce each year, I'd venture to guess that they all occasionally let one slide by that's not up to par.

LOL ano an electric touch up is B&B suicide but i had work and it was the only thing that would not irritate my skin and make my face look presentable.

Sorry everyone lol

Funny, I've had similar experiences with crystal blades. I guess a bad blade can get through once in a while.

It reminds me of the old saying: "Never buy a car built on Monday or Friday, because the workers are too hung-over on Monday to build a good car, and too anxious to start drinking on Friday to take their time to build a good car."

I have come across this once when I used to use Derby Blades exclusively. I got one where I couldnt even finish my shave.. It ate me up like a Merkur!! I was bleeding, irritated, and discouraged. However, all this bloodshed was worth it. Because after this incident, I switched over to Crystals and have never looked back. Crystals hold their edge a little better than a Derby, I can do a 2 pass shave and get BBS with a Crystal compared to a 4-5 pass BBS with a Derby.

Best of Luck to you!!:cool:

Sounds like the QA guy might have fallen asleep when that blade came down the line. I've used Derby blades almost exclusively for the last year and haven't run into one like that.
With the millions of blades that blade companies produce each year, I'd venture to guess that they all occasionally let one slide by that's not up to par.

+1 It probably wouldn't happen again if you went thru a hundred pack of derbys, just one of those things that can happen with any blade I guess.

If you like derbys and crystal, you should try and Astra....an awesome blade made in russia.

regards,

I wouldn't panic....if you like Derbys, stick with them. It's not at all unusual to get a bum blade every once in a while from any brand. Some manufacturers have better quality control than others, but Derbys are favorite & possibly the most commonly used DE blade out there.

Top Bottom