What's new

DE razors with zero play, goof-proof alignment?

Some research I've been doing....

• On page 5 of a ~1958 Gillette Salesman Manual, Gillette's adjustable razor is said to go from setting "1" (most mild) to setting "9" (most aggressive) by adjusting blade exposure by only 0.008 inches (0.20 mm) and also by making the blade angle larger by 10 degrees (note: I'm guessing this is the steep blade angle). So, apparently, each numbered adjustment setting changes blade exposure by only 0.025 mm and angle by just 1.25 degrees. So, what portion of a numbered setting's aggression is due to the microscopic 0.025 mm change in exposure?
That's a testable claim, anyone up to the task? It also says nothing about any variation in blade edge exposure along the length of the safety bar of any one particular mass produced Gillette razor. Nor does it undermine the many vintage users here who are happy as clams with their daily drivers despite the need to engage in the gentlemanly art of aligning the blade by sight. Each of us is subject to bias, at this moment we just don't know how much this matter really matters.

That's a testable claim, anyone up to the task? It also says nothing about any variation in blade edge exposure along the length of the safety bar of any one particular mass produced Gillette razor. Nor does it undermine the many vintage users here who are happy as clams with their daily drivers despite the need to engage in the gentlemanly art of aligning the blade by sight. Each of us is subject to bias, at this moment we just don't know how much this matter really matters.

It is testable, but I think it might have to be done repeatedly in a blind-test to yield meaningful data.

Also, skill and technique are of course the most important factor in shaving. Really bad technique will yield bad shaves regardless of the razor. Conversely, theoretically-perfect skill could yield an awesome shave just be holding the DE blade with your fingers (not that I'm recommending trying)....

I have a van der Hagen/ Weishi that aligns perfectly. My vintage gillettes - Red tip, super speed, tech, and slim are also all perfect.

I have a van der Hagen/ Weishi that aligns perfectly. My vintage gillettes - Red tip, super speed, tech, and slim are also all perfect.
Is there any wiggle or play between any of your blades and the Weishi's alignment bar that holds the blade? If not, it seems this design is a pretty good one.

I wonder why most manufacturers have switched to the two alignment poles? It seems like it might be more difficult to get the two post to work reliably?

If I can get the data, I'm be interesting in adding a new, "Foolproof Loading" (or a similarly titled) notation to our wiki's Razor Comparison Chart to give credit to razors that are impossible to load off-center. I think most of us consumers would at least slightly prefer this ... but it's probably not easy for manufacturers to do since it likely requires designs that are unforgiving of even slight manufacturing flaws.

I realize that checking and resetting an improperly aligned blade takes about 5 seconds. I agree that it isn't a big deal, and it probably isn't a reason to not buy any specific razor ... I'm only wanting to give credit to those razors that do have "zero slop" and can be easily and accurately loaded every time. It seems like it is likely a desireable feature ... and I think most consumers would like to see more razors with "goof-proof alignment".

Clarification: by impossible to load off-center, I mean that top cap and baseplate have no play (not even a tenth of a mm) and that a standard DE blade loads into the head also with zero play. Also, of course, the zero-play blade has to be straight....

As an example, while I love my own ATT razor set, I have to exclude it from meeting this feature. While an ATT is relatively easy to load perfectly, and I think its maximum misalignment is relatively small (<.02mm?) ... I still load mine with tiny misalignments about a third of the time (NOTE: I check my loaded razor with a 7x magnifying mirror, so I probably catch very slight misalignments than most people would miss or ignore). While the blade does have zero play in the ATT top cap ... the top cap has a very slight amount of play with the baseplate (the top cap's pins are slightly smaller than the baseplate's holes)....

From what I've read, these are the currently-manufactured DE razors that to my understanding have zero alignment issues:

• Feather AS-D2
  • Feather Popular (?)
  • all vintage Gillette models except the Old Type and the New Improved (?)
  • iKon models with the alignment bar (OSS, Open Comb, Standard)
  • LASSCo BBS-1
  • Lord L6 (?)
  • Merkur Futur (?)
  • Parker TTO (?)
  • RazoRock TTO (?)
  • Standard Razor Brand razor (?)
  • Wilkinson Sword Classic
  • Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Vanderhagen, etc) (?)
  • Wolfman

Am I missing any that meet this specification?

Are you able to confirm from experience that any of these are impossible to misalign by even a tenth of a mm?

Or, are you able to purposefully misalign any of these in this list?

Also, my understanding is that vintage Gillette's have zero slop blade loading? Are there
vintage Gillette razors that do have slight alignment issues?

Thoughts? Again, it really isn't a reason in itself to either buy or not buy a particular razor ... but wouldn't it be a worthy feature to note in the comparison chart?

Thanks!
Shawn

p.s. Also, what term should I settle on calling this feature?

• "Perfect alignment"
  • "Goof-proof alignment"
  • "Foolproof alignment"
  • "Zero play blade loading" ?
  • "Zero slop blade loading" ?
  • other?
I would take the Merkur Futur off the list as there is a fair bit of play in the top cap

Is there any wiggle or play between any of your blades and the Weishi's alignment bar that holds the blade? If not, it seems this design is a pretty good one.

I wonder why most manufacturers have switched to the two alignment poles? It seems like it might be more difficult to get the two post to work reliably?

No there is no play on my van der hagen/Weishi. It was my first de razor and I think its a good design and razor. I just like the vintage super speeds and red tip razors a bit better. Weishi obviously copied the super speed design pretty precisely.

Zero issues on my Standard and EJ DE89L, so another vote for each.

I know it only takes a second (and almost no skill) to align a blade manually, but for those who shave in a morning stupor it can be eye opening. Looking at that long list of razors with no issue (especially current production ones) makes me think that one should not have to compromise.

The Feather AS-D2 is absolutely idiot-proof. It may be possible to mis-seat the blade, mis-align the base plate, and get it all to screw together, but I sure don't see how.

Muhle R41
Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question.
Once its tightened down if the blade does not wiggle, does it matter if the blade is perfectly aligned with the head or not..
Are we talking performance here or aesthetics?

Muhle R41
Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question.
Once its tightened down if the blade does not wiggle, does it matter if the blade is perfectly aligned with the head or not..
Are we talking performance here or aesthetics?

We're talking performance. With a blade poorly aligned it would be shaving closer on one side of a safety guard than on the other. Theoretically, a poorly aligned blade could result in a shave feeling harsher than you usually get from that razor. Skill is of course the most important thing here though. I suspect very experienced DE shavers may automatically compensate for slightly-off blade alignment without even realizing it....

Another recent thread shows a poorly aligned blade in a Merkur slant:

Also, looking on top, I noticed this is particularly bad design from Merkur for the new one.

proxy.php

vs

proxy.php

On my old one, the blade sticks out uniformly and is equidistant from the edge of the comb guides. Not so with the new one. I don't think their designers accounted for the slant's geometry. On either side, the blade sticks out more at one end than on the other (opposite sides, opposite ends). Imagine if it did that with your normal razor? Same result: ouch! What I think caused my irritation.

Tested it many times changing the blad, this is the razor's natural tendency. Now, I can force it to be uniform distance, but that is not the natural drop in result I got with my old one.

Last edited:
I saw that, and never having used a slant I thought that's who the blade is supposed to profile on a slant, was surprised with the bakelite profile.

but I digress...
I use a very shallow angle an almost straight or se angle..blade almost parallel with the skin.
a misaligned blade would not be an issue for a shallow angle I think.
perhaps this could be an issue if you use a steep angle ?

Last edited:
Zero issues on my Standard and EJ DE89L, so another vote for each.

I know it only takes a second (and almost no skill) to align a blade manually, but for those who shave in a morning stupor it can be eye opening. Looking at that long list of razors with no issue (especially current production ones) makes me think that one should not have to compromise.

Thank you for your input! I've added Edwin Jagger and Muhle 89 to the list (ANd the Standard Razor brand razor was already there).

a misaligned blade would not be an issue for a shallow angle I think.
perhaps this could be an issue if you use a steep angle ?

That's a very good point! At a (theoretic) perfectly flat angle, a misaligned blade would simply become a slanted razor....

Conversely, at a (theoretic) 90 degree angle, one end of a misaligned blade would probably draw blood (or at least scrape the skin) before the other end of the blade even made contact. It probably doesn't take 90 degrees before he extra blade exposure on one side becomes a problem though. I wonder what blade angle it requires before extra blade exposure on one side turns from a simply being a slant razor into being a a harsh razor?

The smallest DE blade angle that I've seen photos of is about 18 degrees (from a Gillette Old Type Single Ring Thin Cap):
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=511363&d=1414266848
(source)

And most DE razors seem to have have a shallowest-possible blade angle of around 25 to 35 degrees.

Perhaps a 30 degree angle could be thought of two parts slant, but one part stabbing (perhaps there might be a better term)?

Thanks!
Shawn

I think I missed this ... were you also saying that the Muhle R41 has zero wiggle room in how the blade can be aligned?
yes, never had any issues with misalignment, It looks perfectly even to my naked eye.
my vote for R41. the rest of my razors are all Gillette's.

and while we are at it..one more vote for stahly live blade, ultra mild and no alignment issues.

Top Bottom